vrs selling prices seem low

I hate it when people quote book prices. They only write books!! Each car/bike/vehicle should be priced on its own merits and not what a 'book' says.

Btw, this is not meant as an attack on robbocop, this is just my opinions on 'books'.

Nice in theory, but that only works for a private seller wishing to get more for their car than it's really worth, i can bet if you went to your local car dealer he would be more than happy to pull out both his Glasses and Cap valuation books from his grubby pockets, and whilst looking pensive and stressed tell you that the '' book '' says NO, and your rather old and not so attractive car is worth a lot less than you think.

The dealer will then put the car up at top retail (just like a lot of private sellers are trying to get) and then when the poor punter turns up saying it seems expensive compared to the '' book '', that the book is only really a guide and should not be used when trying to assess prices !!!!! It's all a big load of *******s, the prices asked by some private sellers are just in fairy land. The books are used when either a seller or buyer wants to get the most amount of money in their own pockets, if it does not suit their needs then it's dismissed as '' irrelevant ''.

Edited by Hudson01

I've got my SE in for a service at the local VW dealer atm. Got a call from one of their sales guys offering to value it while it was in. May as well see what he says for cash only.

I'd be interested to know that 'cos I'm a nosey bugger.

I'd be interested to know that 'cos I'm a nosey bugger.

Well, he didn't bother to return my call. Maybe that says it all. I'll be back there tomorrow though as they messed up the service record. So if he's there I'll try to catch him.

Edited by dxg

they will keep slowly falling now due to age but i dont know why they have plumeted

maybe [and hopefully] they will rise again slightly over the next year or so especially if the fuel prices 'hold' or drop a little!

They've always been cheap, so you can't lose much money whatever happens!

I bought mine for £5k two years ago - plenty of people lose more than that in depreciation in the first year of new car ownership.

If I get another three years out the Fabia and it's worth only scrap I'd have no complaints (expect it to last much longer).

This has been on the cards for ages though.. The vRS has held it's value quite unnaturally for way too long.

I think it's suddenly dropped because it's starting to show it's age. I know the shell was always the cheapest of the platform, but the design as a whole is looking a little past it.

Maybe the market slowly catching up has hit it as well? i.e. small diesels with more poke than the average being offered by more and more manufactures.

It does make me giggle that BMW just launched a Mini Cooper Diesel S as Skoda move away from the quick little diesel formula. Almost like they didn't even think it worth trying until the mk1 vRS had moved aside.

I think I'm less bothered about all of this because I plan to keep it until it costs more to fix then replace. But I paid £5850 almost exactly 3 years ago. Now it's worth, maybe 4 if I'm lucky... That seems about right in my mind.. The fact it stayed above 5k for so long was actually starting to make me nervous on the basis of the bigger they are the harder they fall.

This has been on the cards for ages though.. The vRS has held it's value quite unnaturally for way too long.

Spot on.

Even so called prestige cars only hold around half the price three years on in reality.

With the mkI VRS they were still making 8-9k at three years old, which is crazy on a 12k car.

Even now you see SE varients up for 8k and over at dealerships sometimes. I mean, they are great cars, but 65%+ of new price for a four year old car?

It's just too much for a car out of warranty.

Seems to be that rather than the buyers from new suffering the greatest depreciation (as is usual) it's been passed onto the second or third owner...

Which to some people used to buying used cars (and having little depreciation) it has come as a shock.

I just plan to keep mine for a very long time. :D

there is a black VRS near me on an 06 plate with 49k, FSH, stnadard interior apart from a decent alpine stereo with ipod integration at a local garage for 6700. I couldn;t get the finance though :(

there is a black VRS near me on an 06 plate with 49k, FSH, stnadard interior apart from a decent alpine stereo with ipod integration at a local garage for 6700. I couldn;t get the finance though :(

My mates is slightly older, but less miles @ £5000! I know which i`d rather :rofl:

Mine is so high in miles that it`l worth more in bits not than as a whole, so i`v just decided to keep it forever :rofl:

Matt