Electric Folding Mirrors

endo60

Picked up my new Yeti 2.0 110 Elegance today and had my most enjoyable drive back around the M25 in a long time! Really comfortable, quick enough and a great ride over the speed bumped, pot-holed streets near my home!

Of interest to the forum will be the news that electric folding mirrors have been introduced with the Elegance model. There is an additional position at 8 o'clock on the mirror control switch. Apparently the dealer had not been made aware from the factory until cars started arriving with the option a few days ago. On checking with the factory, it was at first denied!

So a good day so far: the sun's shining, I've a new car and an extra option!

Edited by endo60

Picked up my new Yeti 2.0 110 Elegance today and had my most enjoyable drive back around the M25 in a long time! Really comfortable, quick enough and a great ride over the speed bumped, pot-holed streets near my home!

Of interest to the forum will be the news that electric folding mirrors have been introduced with the Elegance model. There is an additional position at 8 o'clock on the mirror control switch. Apparently the dealer had not been made aware from the factory until cars started arriving with the option a few days ago. On checking with the factory, it was at first denied!

Excellent! I added them to my order (Yeti 170 Elegance) a few weeks back and there was initially some debate on this forum as to whether I had bought vapour-ware or not. I decided just to cross my fingers and wait and see!

When did you place your order?

Excellent! I added them to my order (Yeti 170 Elegance) a few weeks back and there was initially some debate on this forum as to whether I had bought vapour-ware or not. I decided just to cross my fingers and wait and see!

When did you place your order?

Hi Moonman2,

Looks like your decision was sound! I ordered mine on April 5th and there was no mention at the time that the option was going to be made available.

Do they fold in when locking the car and return to position when unlocking.

Sorry, I'm confused (again)! Are you saying that the electric folding mirrors have been added as standard to the Elegance, or that they ARE now optional?

Chris

Sorry, I'm confused (again)! Are you saying that the electric folding mirrors have been added as standard to the Elegance, or that they ARE now optional?

Chris

we picked up our Elegance two weeks ago. The folding mirrors, it seems, are now standard and are a most welcome addition.

you don't need to order them

Do they fold in when locking the car and return to position when unlocking.

From what has been said previously, you have to fold them yourself. See endo's second paragraph.

we picked up our Elegance two weeks ago. The folding mirrors, it seems, are now standard and are a most welcome addition.

you don't need to order them

Standard equipment on the Elegance as I hadn't specifically ordered them.

They don't automatically fold when turning off the ignition. They're only operated by the switch.

Going against popular opinion on here, after previous experience with electric folding mirrors,I'd rather not have them. Last winter during the severe cold spell, wife tried to fold in the mirrors on my X5, they were frozen solid, destroyed the ratchet device for folding. BMW only offer full mirror as replacement and not individual parts, didn't help that they were also electrocromatic (is that the right word) anyway just short of £600 not including labour.

Beware of smashing a folding mirror!

Going against popular opinion on here, after previous experience with electric folding mirrors,I'd rather not have them. Last winter during the severe cold spell, wife tried to fold in the mirrors on my X5, they were frozen solid, destroyed the ratchet device for folding. BMW only offer full mirror as replacement and not individual parts, didn't help that they were also electrocromatic (is that the right word) anyway just short of £600 not including labour.

Beware of smashing a folding mirror!

yes, the BMW mirrors are expensive as is the glass. replacement cost was about £250/300 just for the glass. I bought s/h on ebay for about £100! if memory serves me well.

They don't automatically fold when turning off the ignition. They're only operated by the switch.

I also like folding wing mirrors - My wife's Peugeot 807's mirrors fold when you lock the car; this is useful, if like me you walk away from the car and can't remember if you have locked it!! You can look back and see if the mirrors are folded. Being a fairly large vehicle, it is good in a tight parking space and on our narrow Welsh roads, fold to pass other traffic. I think I have read somewhere that you hold the remote for 2 seconds longer after locking on the Yeti, to fold the mirrors. I shall look forward to mine - sometime in December... (ordered 6 May 2011)

or via the key fob - by keeping the lock button depressed.

this is useful, if like me you walk away from the car and can't remember if you have locked it!! You can look back and see if the mirrors are folded. Being a fairly large vehicle, it is good in a tight parking space and on our narrow Welsh roads, fold to pass other traffic. I think I have read somewhere that you hold the remote for 2 seconds longer after locking on the Yeti, to fold the mirrors. I shall look forward to mine - sometime in December... (ordered 6 May 2011)

Great news! My dad just ordered a Yeti elegance 2.0 TDI 4x4 in aqua blue metallic and he's always going back to see if he locked the car which drives us all crazy so when his Yeti arrives that should all end. Thank goodness!:rofl: He's also got to negotiate narrow Welsh roads - perfect!

it is good in a tight parking space and on our narrow Welsh roads, fold to pass other traffic.

I have driven the narrow Welsh roads for 48 years and never needed to fold in the mirrors - it is a myth. Driving these roads needs a different technique, that of noticing a passing place and being able to reverse. (and- judging by some of the drivers I meet - reversing needs a lot more practice) I use my mirrors "lorry style" to reverse and to align the sides of the car along the road edge. So the ability to remotely fold mirrors is just another gimmic and a waste of money.

I manually fold the mirrors when in a car park - it is not a major problem to push the mirror inward when leaving the car and, as both mirrors can be accessed from the windows, when driving off.

I had electrically folding mirrors on my ex X-Trail but rarely used the folding option - except in car parks - and then only to protect the mirrors.

From what has been said previously, you have to fold them yourself. See endo's second paragraph.

sorry to have missed this thread:-

when the lock button on key fob is pressed and held for a couple of seconds the car locks and the mirrors fold back

Also, inside on the mirror controls, turn the knob to approx 8 o'clock position and the mirrors will also fold back.

The one thing you cannot do is, unless someone else has found a way, fold mirrors back whilst driving.

There are a couple of very narrow country roads around here. After having the 'ears ' of my old car bashed a couple of times by oncoming cars driving way too fast for the roads (why is it almost always Range Rovers?) I always take time to fold back drivers mirror before driving through them

Being able to fold them on the move would be an advantage

I have driven the narrow Welsh roads for 48 years and never needed to fold in the mirrors - it is a myth. Driving these roads needs a different technique, that of noticing a passing place and being able to reverse. (and- judging by some of the drivers I meet - reversing needs a lot more practice) I use my mirrors "lorry style" to reverse and to align the sides of the car along the road edge. So the ability to remotely fold mirrors is just another gimmic and a waste of money.

I manually fold the mirrors when in a car park - it is not a major problem to push the mirror inward when leaving the car and, as both mirrors can be accessed from the windows, when driving off.

I had electrically folding mirrors on my ex X-Trail but rarely used the folding option - except in car parks - and then only to protect the mirrors.

Sorry to disagree with you "Terfyn", but although I have only been driving these Welsh roads for 5 years, I'm very good at reversing. Like you, I note the passing places when on a single track road, and am pro-active on meeting apposing traffic. I nearly always go straight into reverse and back up - often up hill. You can often see the relief of the other driver! Like you using the wing mirrors "lorry style". However our 807 wing mirrors' are just about the same height as "white van man"; and they are not that bothered and neither slow down or move over! I have also had to squeeze past the odd oil tanker delivering to the wilds; so they have come in handy.

My wife accidentally wacked the nearside mirror (fortunately it folded) and only broke the glass - £20 to replace; had it been the whole mirror - £250! I'm mindful of the BMW driver, and take care in the winter months with the frozen snow.

48 years of driving on Welsh roads - we must be of similar age(?) I passed my test in 1963; so maybe past my best!

Just to stir it up a bit, our 807 has electric sliding doors - now they are good!

I currerntly drive a Citroen C4 Picasso Exclusive (which I hate with a passion) with the electrically folding mirrors and I'm always on the Cumbrian back rooads due to being involved in outdoor pursuits. Some weekenders and tourists to the Lake District appear to have a problem with judging distances and I also have a tendancy to volunteer to reverse into a passing place.

On a number of occasions if I hadn't been quick enough to press the fold mirror" button I would've lost my driver's mirror. Also, I could be wrong but I they do appear to fold in quicker with the internal button thatn when using the auto lock on the fob.

Personally, I'd rather have the electrically folding mirrors but my dealer says I cannot get them on the SE version! emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Sorry to disagree with you "Terfyn", but although I have only been driving these Welsh roads for 5 years, I'm very good at reversing. Like you, I note the passing places when on a single track road, and am pro-active on meeting apposing traffic.

48 years of driving on Welsh roads - we must be of similar age(?) I passed my test in 1963; so maybe past my best!

Perhaps in 43 years you will get good at it!!:giggle:

As for being pro-active - if the other driver has just passed a "passing place" I will stand my ground and make the other reverse. The only exception is for Tractors with Trailers.

Sorry to hear you are past your best.emoticon-0106-crying.gif

If the folding mirrors had been available when I bought my Yeti, I would have got them but NOT if they came as an expensive extra.

Tristar,

I just find it easier not using the Llwynygog, Cwm Bigga route through the Forest, especially in the summer!!

Hi Graham, We don't drive through the forest and around lake Clywedog quite so often now - and usually people are sight seeing so drive fairly slowly. Nearly bought Cwm Biga; but glad we didn't in the end, it gets really cut off in winter. Would have needed a real 4x4...

Peter

On the Superb you can only fold the mirrors back whilst driving at speeds below 15mph..... What a useless speed restiction! As stated above it would be useful to sometimes fold them in as you are driving and seeing something coming up that will cause a problem! And white van man does not go at 15mph. Why not rather have it at 40mph that will at least be useful and save them from being torn off should you try to do it at 90mph presumably.

On the Superb you can only fold the mirrors back whilst driving at speeds below 15mph..... What a useless speed restiction! As stated above it would be useful to sometimes fold them in as you are driving and seeing something coming up that will cause a problem! And white van man does not go at 15mph. Why not rather have it at 40mph that will at least be useful and save them from being torn off should you try to do it at 90mph presumably.

If you drive that fast in to such small gaps, please let me know and I'll keep out of the area emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

My BMW's had the folding mirrors and I never needed to use them above 15mph. I only covered about 100,000 miles in them. The only time I had a problem was when an old Asian woman in a white Mercedes wandered across to my side of the road going up Succombs Hill and she hit my mirror and broke it. I was not impressed. I wouldn't have had a chance to push the button had it worked at 30mph.

Mike

If you drive that fast in to such small gaps, please let me know and I'll keep out of the area emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

My BMW's had the folding mirrors and I never needed to use them above 15mph. I only covered about 100,000 miles in them..... I wouldn't have had a chance to push the button had it worked at 30mph.

No I meant if you are driving at 50mph and see a narrowing up ahead or parked cars or whatever you can fold the mirrors in BEFORE you reach the narrowing and then safely negotiate this at whatever speed is required. If you can only move the mirrors after you've slowed to 15mph your attention should be on other things than finding the mirror button. So the 15mph limit is just plain stupid.

No I meant if you are driving at 50mph and see a narrowing up ahead or parked cars or whatever you can fold the mirrors in BEFORE you reach the narrowing and then safely negotiate this at whatever speed is required. If you can only move the mirrors after you've slowed to 15mph your attention should be on other things than finding the mirror button. So the 15mph limit is just plain stupid.

I beg to differ. If the gap is that small that you need to move the mirrors in then 15mph sounds like it is a sensible speed to be approaching the narrow gap. I'm not defending the 15mph limit, just pointing out from experience of having used them for a couple of years or so on every type of road.

99.9% of the time they were used for parking. The 0.1% was on narrow lanes where I was barely moving, and once when a bus hit the mirror (barely moving again) and I opened and closed them to sort it out. If you knocked them they became 'loose' and all that was needed to correct it was fold in and out.

I beg to differ. If the gap is that small that you need to move the mirrors in then 15mph sounds like it is a sensible speed to be approaching the narrow gap. I'm not defending the 15mph limit, just pointing out from experience of having used them for a couple of years or so on every type of road.

99.9% of the time they were used for parking. The 0.1% was on narrow lanes where I was barely moving, and once when a bus hit the mirror (barely moving again) and I opened and closed them to sort it out. If you knocked them they became 'loose' and all that was needed to correct it was fold in and out.

I guess it depends on the roads around your way, I'm with Johann on this one. Much as I love my Yeti, my previous Cashcow had electric folding mirrors and they were extremely useful even on the move. There are a couple of 30mph roads near me where the bushes either side can intrude over the tarmac and I'd regularly put my mirrors in on approach, slowing to 15mph would put some joker right up my zorst. I would have thought Skoda could have used the same logic as Nissan and left the choice up to the driver, clearly Skoda thought otherwise. The option at folding them at any speed would have been nice but then I'm not looking at changing my non-electric folding Yeti for some time, so for me a moot point.