TTS short shifter

Cheers for the reply meaty....the pipe from the air box seems to come from inlet via a u shaped tube which seems to be held in place by two plastic push clips, one at the front which I can push in but also one at the back where there is no way I can reach it!!! Any thoughts?

Cheers

Kit :)

Yours is dufferent to the airbox in the video. I had mine out for the first time at the weekend to check and bleed the slave cylinder. Its just one 5mm allen bolt and pushed onto two rubber lugs then unclip the air intake pipe going to the box. Its a 5 minute job.

This was exactly it, very easy just take your time

Remember if you compress the spring clip on the air filter box tubing you can take the filter box right off

Be careful on re-install and it can ping back and smash your fingers

Cheers for the reply meaty....the pipe from the air box seems to come from inlet via a u shaped tube which seems to be held in place by two plastic push clips, one at the front which I can push in but also one at the back where there is no way I can reach it!!! Any thoughts?

Cheers

Kit :)

Yeah i remember that. Something with a hook on would get it but i actually didn't mess about with that bit. I disconnected from the the very front scoop part. The little box at the top just has clips around its edge, uunclipped those and took the pipe out from there.

I managed to undo the spring clip, unbolt the airbox and remove tube from front inlet ( the bit by the grille) but the then I can't get the box out as the u shaped inlet to airbox is stuck under a load of tubes!

I just fed it out past those. If the tubes will disconnect just do that but i didn't have to. It should just feed out if you've just got the round end left.

Cheers for the replies guys...i'll have another go at it today and see if I can get it done....but just prepare yourself as there might be more questions!!! :)

Kit

Right its done :) Thanks for the help guys.

First off its a pain in the hoop!! and isn't as easy as some have suggested.....there's the air box pipe clip to undo, the maf to unplug, take the whole air box and associated piping and I do mean all piping and connecting otherwise it just wont come out. then there's the removal of the old shifter....another pain in the hoop!!! Took me about 20 mins just to remove it, to say it was on like a good 'un would be an understatement and the slightest movement of the shifter whilst trying to get it out knocks it out of neutral!!! So basically it took me about an hour all in!!!!......But an hour well worth it.......for those that say that's there's hardly any difference then there's something wrong with ya, mine is a hugely noticeably shorter throw :)

All I have to do now is figure out how I can get the gear stick to be less clunky and noisy when changing gear. When you lift the gaiter and look at what's going on with all the hard plastic and big metal springs there's no wonder its noisy!!! When I drive my mates Audi 2l diesel the gear change is super smooth with just the right amount of force needed to move the gear stick about!!!....not in mine i'm afraid, mine moves at the merest of touches!!

Anyhoo I'm away for a drive and thanks again guys

kit :)

First off its a pain in the hoop!! and isn't as easy as some have suggested.....there's the air box pipe clip to undo, the maf to unplug, take the whole air box and associated piping and I do mean all piping and connecting otherwise it just wont come out. then there's the removal of the old shifter....another pain in the hoop!!! Took me about 20 mins just to remove it, to say it was on like a good 'un would be an understatement and the slightest movement of the shifter whilst trying to get it out knocks it out of neutral!!! So basically it took me about an hour all in!!!!......But an hour well worth it.......for those that say that's there's hardly any difference then there's something wrong with ya, mine is a hugely noticeably shorter throw :)

All I have to do now is figure out how I can get the gear stick to be less clunky and noisy when changing gear. When you lift the gaiter and look at what's going on with all the hard plastic and big metal springs there's no wonder its noisy!!! When I drive my mates Audi 2l diesel the gear change is super smooth with just the right amount of force needed to move the gear stick about!!!....not in mine i'm afraid, mine moves at the merest of touches!!

Anyhoo I'm away for a drive and thanks again guys

LOL i did all this yesterday while removing the short shifter and putting back to normal for possible sale in the near future

easy once you have done it a few times

Now that's another bag of worms ,,,,,

• 5 months later...

I've been having problems with a total carp gearbox feel on my MK7 Golf GT................

Coming from a MK1 Fabia will all metal brackets, no rubber, no bushes & ball & socket joints..........to rubber, plastic & a tight gearbox with f8all difference between reverse & first...............aarrggghhhhh :wall:

Progress for the sake of Noise & vibration............. :@

Anyway having a 6speed MQ250 gearbox I can't swap most of the Audi metal stuff over which is a pain in the rear...............however I have got the 42DD bracket bushes & their kits to solid metal the eyes. This has improved things, & so will a better GTD leather knob (on order) which is shaped way better.

Anyway whilst looking for other ways to improve the situation I found this thread via google.

Currently the weighted arm is code 5Q0 711 046J.........now looking at various stuff & pictures I need the Audi arm which also fitted the 5speed? 8Q0 711 046D......"E" is a different shape as it is for when the relay plate (black plastic) is on the opposite side next to the battery, where as mine is next to the engine.

Need to check if the eye pivots are the same dims?..............

• 3 years later...

My car is an 07 pre facelift. 2.0 tfsi. Ive just ordered one and arrived today. And that's the part number stamped on it. Ended up ordering from dark side. £46 now.  I should get around to fitting this weekend, I'll post up my findings when I've fitted it. But from most posts on here I'm hopeful of a positive outcome!!

Edited by meaty101