Fabia VRS Handling

Having acquired a 2005 VRS I was wondering what would be the next step to improving the handling for me to regain confidence to allow the Fab to be thrown into corners.

I have replaced the wheels with SEAT alloys (cosmetic) - these are still 16".

I don't want to spend loads. I don't want to go drastically low. And at 43 I don't want a ride that will shake my teeth out or damage vertabrae.

Any advice (for the car) will be grately received.

Whitleline = £120 or there Abouts

Jabba = £210 iirc ( don't quote me on that)

Coilovers can be bought for less than £200 but you get what you pay for.

Take a look on www.dpmperformance.co.uk Damian is a top bloke and will help with any queries.

• Like 1

I'd go for the Whiteline one. Around £130 depending on who you get it from.

There is a Jabba one which is supposedly a bit better, but whether it's worth the extra £100 is up for debate.

• Sponsor

As mentioned the Whiteline rear ARB will make a big difference and after that it would be either springs and shocks or coilovers.

If we can be any help or for any prices just give me a shout.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Upgrade the front brakes from 288mm to 312mm. Very popular mod on here.

You need calipers, carriers, discs and pads.

Ebay is probably the best place to look. Prices for the above from about £100.

^^^ +1

someone on here.makes a rear strut brace for the boot. Can't recall his full name though. Polo1600*** maybe. A bargin at £55. I'm hoping to get one in a month or so if he has some then.

Have a search for it.

It's all good, positive advice.

Initially I was going to go straight for remap but once I started to drive a bit more aggressively I realised the car isn't capable of being safe with 130bhp - let alone anymore!

Mine is mapped without any 'handling' mods and I don't consider it unsafe :wonder:

What is it you don't like about the standard setup?

The dive and pitch when moving/stopping - did my head in. It was like another car when I had coilovers put on.

I wouldn't say 'unsafe' though.

• Like 1

It's all relative...the Fabia vRS seemed soft & roly-poly compared to my Civic Type R but taught & stiff ( :giggle: ) compared to my Volvo V40.

If I had the money I'd do some work on the handling to make it better, but I don't consider it unsafe as it is.

Maybe 'unsafe' was a bit strong. I've been driving quite a few years and know when a car is handling well.

I want to be able to throw the car into a corner and not have to start braking midway with my sphincter twitching - know what I mean. :o

Edited by Fab VeRSe

power is all well and good but if you cant put it down you might as well have 50bhp.

Be safe and enjoy the car more with some decent tyres brands like the t1-r (888 if your more hardcore ;-)) or the paradas, rainsports or pzero's

decent coilover set up with adjustable settings (not just some cheap cut shut and slam jobbie for 200 quid - trust me i bought some of those and they were horrible! kw or bilstein are worth it for sure

go for some decent discs and pads, ferodo, ebc or as others have said 312mm conversion

also to consider

anti roll bar - whiteline

bushes

strut braces - seat sport

:)

• 2 years later...

Must admit I find the handling 'wanting' in standard form, it really isn't very good when pushing on. My money will be spent on improving this before even thinking about adding more power.

Cupra console wishbone bushes are said to be a worthwhile mod, maybe worth looking at doing most/all of the bushes if your serious about handling before anything else. The way I see it it's pointless spending £100s on springs, dampers and ARBs if your going to keep the standard rubber bushes that are 9 years old now. Same goes for tyres, there are some folk who spend loads of money on handling mods then put mediocre tyres on lol. Just think... WHY!

The 'dogbone' bush/mount is also said to help with putting the power down and making the gear change a bit less sloppy (basically reduces the engine rocking back and forth under load) but it can increase cabin vibration at idle.

I had my coilovers fitted by a mate of a mate on the cheap and was told it had been tracked up, car drove terrible so I took it to midland vw and had a 4 wheel alignment and cupra console bushes fitted for £125, it's so much better now,I have a lot more confidence in it,

312mm brakes and rainsport 2's fitted too

Must admit I find the handling 'wanting' in standard form, it really isn't very good when pushing on. My money will be spent on improving this before even thinking about adding more power.

Cupra console wishbone bushes are said to be a worthwhile mod, maybe worth looking at doing most/all of the bushes if your serious about handling before anything else. The way I see it it's pointless spending £100s on springs, dampers and ARBs if your going to keep the standard rubber bushes that are 9 years old now. Same goes for tyres, there are some folk who spend loads of money on handling mods then put mediocre tyres on lol. Just think... WHY!

The 'dogbone' bush/mount is also said to help with putting the power down and making the gear change a bit less sloppy (basically reduces the engine rocking back and forth under load) but it can increase cabin vibration at idle.

Agree with this 100%

Just remapping is pointless,but getting an understeering, wallowy FWD VAG diesel machine to be more balanced is itself quite a challenge. But rewarding when you have it nailed. THEN, remap to compliment it.

I'm on that journey now, not long owned 56plate VRS. Just fitted the Red dogbone myself DIY. Next are ARB bushes, polybush everything else. Decent brakes, then Standard shocks with lowering springs in Autumn. Coilovers are normally awful budget things (like JOMS), and make the car worse! H&R or Eibach Prokit standalone springs are far better with standard shocks, than the weedy coilovers. The car is just too heavy for coilovers to be effective enough, unless they are really high end expensive ones.

Loving the full leather in my Fabia VRS, anyone else have it?