Mazda 3 MPS

curleybar

I have a test drive of a Mazda 3 MPS booked tomorrow at a local dealer, and just looking for any comments over the next few hours(informed or otherwise..!)about either the test drive process or this particular model...?

Having done my research, I am aware of the potential for the torque steer to throw me into the hedge (apparently this was done quite recently there!) & also the pretty high fuel consumption. As the last 3 cars I have owned have been Octy vRS's I feel a little like a fish out of water looking at another make...!

Does anyone else ever feel a little "scared" at potentially looking at changing to a different make...?

However, the local Skoda dealer is clearly selling so many cars they do not have to "look after" loyal customers and the 6 month waiting list I am curreently quoted for a petrol vRS is just plain old ludicrous...!

Thanks

Guest Tim31

Its a really nice motor. Its got alot of Focus ST parts brakes suspension etc. but the Focus having a bigger engine 2.5T vs 2.3T.

The interior is really plastically and not as good as the Focus and Skoda is alot better. But for the price its well equipped and fast motor!

Id have a look at a Focus ST aswell mate a good comparison.

Tim

The A3 Sportback Sport or the more expensive S-Line would also be a good shout if it were me.

1 second slower to 60 than the MPS but will do nearly 40mpg on average and has a CO2 rating of 168g, it also retains 41% after 3 years

They go very fast in a straight line but show it some twisty stuff and they skittle all over the place. I raced (obviously we weren't allowed to race :rofl: ) my friend around Snetterton in one and he was no where near me in the corners but gained ever so slighty on the straights. I was in a 240bhp Cavalier Turbo. You would be better off in a cheaper, miles better handling Mazda 6 mps. Very under rated car and now quite cheap. Again though tax and fuel are very high.

Looked at these myself. Good equipment levels and pick one up cheap for £14-15k. But running costs were high.

I had a look at the Mazda forums and they don't speak highly of the build quality or the Mazda warranty picking up on fairly common issues. They have multiple threads dedicated to tyre wear and the average is 7-8k for front tyres. :no:

Interested to know how the test drive goes :thumbup:

If I had to pick any car forum in the world that would love a nose heavy, big laggy turbo-engined, ugly hatchback with a small boot in a range of dull colours and less than demon handling, it would be Briskoda.

Alas, its not to be.

Back from my adventure in Japanese hot hatch land.

My demo car was white which looks a bit striking if you like that sort of thing, initially I felt perched really really high up in the drivers seat ( I am an average 5'10" ) but the car is normally used by a small lady so that "problem" was easily sorted.

1st the obvious bits (if you are a fan of car specs) lots of gadgets, std sat nav which you can turn off & get a display of a compass(?)or the mpg readout. Bose stereo and a smallish boot to accomodate the stereo bits...(does that make sense ICE fans ?)

This is the 1st petrol car I have driven for ages apart from SWMBO's beloved Puma which I get to move off the drive & back on...!

I thought it was absolutely chuffin great !, the clutch was a bit heavier than my vRS and the ride on a par & certainly no worse than an Octy on 18" wheels.

Over a purposely mixed route; dual carriageway, urban ind est, housing estate, town centre etc the car returned a barely credible 34 mpg ! I know the on board readout is not that accurate but I was expecting low 20's.

In terms of running costs, this mk 2 version emits 224 g/km CO so costs £260pa road tax (band K).

I have tried a Focus ST & thought the Mazda was superior, just my opinion of course but then that one was orange !

Oh finally, it flippin well went a bit too....but as I curently drive a diesel I would probably have been impressed by just about anything.....that's a joke folks...please no diesel v petrol stuff..!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment on my initial post too. :thumbup:

A few on here have had them in the past (can't think of anyone who still owns).

Very capable and quick in a straight line. Somewhat sterile overall I think, driveability wise and arguably could be more composed in the twisties.

But if you're impressed with the test drive and could live with the running costs then go for it. As you say, it has the spec going for it - and it looks pretty good emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Maybe push for a longer test, can't say they're selling many of them! Maybe an overnight loan or even a weekend? To give you the best idea possible of what it's like to live with.

If I wanted petrol power in this segment, excluding vRS, I'd probably go Golf or Meg RS250....

Megane 250 is getting cheaper in the second hand market. Seems to be reliable so far. Reviews speak for itself and would be my choice :thumbup:

Still 3-4k more expensive though but better mpg and CO2.

MPS does interest me though after your review. 30mpg is tough to live with though.

30mpg will be a very good day, if the owner MPG feedback is anything to go by.

And there is the fact that if you're managing 30mpg combined average, you're probably not using the vehicle as it was intended. Tough call really.

Going just off purchase cost against spec and performance, the MPS is a good call. In this ballpark I'd also look at the C30 T5 as well, personally speaking :)

Back from my adventure in Japanese hot hatch land.

My demo car was white which looks a bit striking if you like that sort of thing, initially I felt perched really really high up in the drivers seat ( I am an average 5'10" ) but the car is normally used by a small lady so that "problem" was easily sorted.

1st the obvious bits (if you are a fan of car specs) lots of gadgets, std sat nav which you can turn off & get a display of a compass(?)or the mpg readout. Bose stereo and a smallish boot to accomodate the stereo bits...(does that make sense ICE fans ?)

This is the 1st petrol car I have driven for ages apart from SWMBO's beloved Puma which I get to move off the drive & back on...!

I thought it was absolutely chuffin great !, the clutch was a bit heavier than my vRS and the ride on a par & certainly no worse than an Octy on 18" wheels.

Over a purposely mixed route; dual carriageway, urban ind est, housing estate, town centre etc the car returned a barely credible 34 mpg ! I know the on board readout is not that accurate but I was expecting low 20's.

In terms of running costs, this mk 2 version emits 224 g/km CO so costs £260pa road tax (band K).

I have tried a Focus ST & thought the Mazda was superior, just my opinion of course but then that one was orange !

Oh finally, it flippin well went a bit too....but as I curently drive a diesel I would probably have been impressed by just about anything.....that's a joke folks...please no diesel v petrol stuff..!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment on my initial post too. :thumbup:

A fair summary, I would have no qualms about buying another Mazda as I've failed to kill this one yet.

Thought i'd add my two-penneth to this, had a Mazda 3 mps before my current fabia vrs.

The mazda is quick, very quick as i'm sure you now know. I liked it for its subtle styling and you never saw them around Manchester, was a head turner too, lots of people commented on it when I was out in it, asking what it was etc etc

The thing that kills it is the cost of Mr Osbornes fuel and tax bandings, it's something stupid like £430 for 12 months if I remember correctly.

I'd personally look at the Mazda 6 mps, same power, cheaper insurance and tax, but 4WD, so handles better, Clarkson did a piece on it on top gear, you tube search it, he was rather impressed with it.

Just my opinion. Keep us updated.

Cool car the 3 :)

I was tempted but tax put me off instantly, 250 is acceptable for a fast hatch 400 odd is taking the p

4wd doesn't automatically make a car handle better mind, it does make a car slower tho :) I'd sooner have the 3!

While I've not driven a 3 at all, I can say I've been happy with the service from the dealers I've used so far (Lodge Garage, Aylesbury) when they did some re-call work, but ran into a load of issues. All well resolved and staying after hours so I could take the car away that night as I was going on holiday in the morning. :thumbup:

I will be looking to take a longer test drive, for me it is a big decision to consider buying a new car that will shed value pretty quickly; however weighing up the "hedonism v common sense" is a nice interesting dilemma/decision to have in this day & age..!!

Expect to be talking numbers with the dealer next week....will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Caution: It is a bit long winded but you know when you just have to get it all down..!

Well here I was naively thinking that it was all going to be so simple..

I have an immaculate low mileage diesel model that has a long waiting time for a new one and was interested in a high mpg high emissions model that this particular dealer had sold er...one of this year !

Guess what ? in the current market where dealers are desperate to shift cars here is my experience.

"Oh..a Skoda..? don't know how to put a value on that, I could give you a good price if it was a Peugeot"

A quick web interrogation of what (if any) Octy vRS are fetching at auctions ensues.

"There's one here gone for £11k...?"

No thanks

"Let's ask our local Skoda dealer what he will offer for the car, I will call you when I have some good news".

48 hours later

"Hmm sorry, but the offer from "Dealer X" is so low you will be offended if I tell you..!"

"We have a great idea though, we will contact the dealer who supplied your car & ask them for a valuation"

Ah progress ! this "generous" figure from the dealer who has supplied my last 2 cars will be the basis of my "cost to change" calculations.

48 hours later

"Great news, we have a figure for your car....!"

Sadly it is at least £2.5k below what I know the car will retail for...So that is now as much as I can get for my Skoda.

OK, can we now discuss the Mazda ? how much can you move on that to bring it closer to my figures ?

(I have a definete "walk away figure" & we are still above it slightly)

"I'll speak to the boss & ring you back with some good news..."

24 hours later

"We can come down another £200, & we currently have the lowest prices for Mazda 3 Mps out there so it's a great deal etc etc"

So that's it then, No thanks & I walk away..

A bit dissapointed, loved the Mazda but oddly they really didn't seem to want to deal.

The moral(s) are, your beloved Skoda may not (apparently) be worth any more than a paper mache Trabant & make sure you stick to your "walk away price"..!

Back to Skoda & thanks for reading !

A few on here have had them in the past (can't think of anyone who still owns).

Very capable and quick in a straight line. Somewhat sterile overall I think, driveability wise and arguably could be more composed in the twisties.

But if you're impressed with the test drive and could live with the running costs then go for it. As you say, it has the spec going for it - and it looks pretty good emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Maybe push for a longer test, can't say they're selling many of them! Maybe an overnight loan or even a weekend? To give you the best idea possible of what it's like to live with.

If I wanted petrol power in this segment, excluding vRS, I'd probably go Golf or Meg RS250....

This... (even tho im late to the party lol)

VERY fast in a straight line, and capable in the bends, but theres just no fun to it at all... the engine is a cracker, i still miss the epic (for a petrol) torque.

also youd only get 30mpg on a run... my average was early 20's on vpower..

but its not all rosey.. the alloys *will* corrode (i had 2 sets in less than 18 months) and the trim *will* start to rattle.. and letting the mazda monkeys mess with it makes it worse.

The engine also uses the same fuel injection system as the first gen TFSI engine, so had issues with fuel pressure in the mid range. Mazda's solution was a remap to cut mid-range torque emoticon-0106-crying.gif

If only Skoda did a vRS-R with the 260bhp engine id be all over that one emoticon-0103-cool.gif

My father in law has an MPS (in white and black alloys; it looks so contrived) and it is possibly thee most uncomfortable car I have ever had the displeasure of sitting in.

It was rock hard in the front and ridculous in the rear. The rear doors are too small and difficult to get in and out and the rear boot is pathetic for the size of the car.

Yes it is pretty quick in a straight line but it isn't the best handling car.

Evo's long termer didn't do well and needed a new turbo after 4k! The only good thing for it is the price imo compared to the competition.

He was easily done by a very quick mk2 race blue vRS near Oxford not long after he got it. He didn't like that much as he doesn't like Skodas :rofl:

To qualify this he is 56 and thought a Golf GTi was far too 'blingy'.....