Off Road Adventure, Salisbury Plains

CFB

Hi All,

Looking forward to our little jaunt. Do I need to do any prep before hand?

I have my smart phone which runs Google Maps (satellite view) so hopefully will get a handle on where we are going. I’ll fit my tow bar in case I need to be pulled out of a bog or pull some else out (hopefully unnecessary).

I don’t have the off road pack but I do have an off road button. I may fit some protector tape over the rear wheel arch to stop stone chips. I’ll take a bag of crisps and a bottle of water but will leave the thermal blanket and flares at home. I’ll bring my camcorder in case we meet any tanks or alien invaders.

Presume we will swap telephone number at the services as well as sharing out the walkie talkies.

Is that about it.

Cheers guys, David

PS: Before you ask I don’t actually look like my avatar, although I might do by the end of the day!

Hope you all have a good trip. Lots of photos please, and if someone can note the route you took I will annotate my maps for future use.

Johann, or myself or both will use motion gps on our iPhones which track where we go...real time I believeemoticon-0136-giggle.gif. (help us find our way home off the plains emoticon-0140-rofl.gif)

Photos, yes

Videos, yes.

Weather looks dry according to netweather and temperature in early 20s.

No rain on Saturday either so may be a shortage of big puddles to splash through.

From what Llanigraham says we may need to split into two groups if there are eight Yetis.

Presume we can sort that out at the services.

Looking forward to meeting you all and having a fun day out.

Bad news chaps.

The people at range ops have said that they are running an operation that will run into this weekend and the early part of next week, with very limited access and movement through the Plains.

If it is going to be as limited as they are saying it really wouldn't be worth doing this, especially for the members that will have to drive a fair distance to get there.

Sad times.

Bad news chaps.

The people at range ops have said that they are running an operation that will run into this weekend and the early part of next week, with very limited access and movement through the Plains.

If it is going to be as limited as they are saying it really wouldn't be worth doing this, especially for the members that will have to drive a fair distance to get there.

Sad times.

Thats annoying. I was looking forward to it.emoticon-0149-no.gif

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR... that is really annoying. But best to keep cars in one piece.

James is there a plan B around Epsom again?!

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR... that is really annoying. But best to keep cars in one piece.

James is there a plan B around Epsom again?!

Oh FFS!!!

What do we have to do to get a bit of off road time??

Oh well, on to plan C then i suppose.

James, would you be able to work out a route around Epsom, as Johann suggested?

Pleeeeze!

O :no: B@@@@R MEANS I WILL HAVE TO DO SOME MORE WORK AT HOME THEN, where is swmbos list :dull:

car to wash

garden to do

lawn to cut

paint fence

clean out shed

cut headge

paint kitchen

repair outside light

and thats only the list for the morning :doh:

b*gg*r

i was looking forward to that,

james know anywhere else ?? or is it a rearrange for a few weeks time?

i was looking forward to peace from swmbo and a fun day out as a passenger :(

I have PM'd James today. Let's wait and see what he says before calling the whole day out off.

There may be an alternative closer tot all of us.

I have PM'd James today. Let's wait and see what he says before calling the whole day out off.

There may be an alternative closer tot all of us.

In theory, Wednesday is his day off..........

In theory, Wednesday is his day off..........

Ah, thanx, I wasn't aware of that.

Well if it's a GO it will be a short notice job then.

I hope everyone has still kept Sunday free just in case, as it would be as shame to waste the day.

The other point is how limited will access be on the plain?

It's a big place, if we can get a decent route that stays outside of the 'ops' area it may be worth still continuing, especially if it looks like a decent weekend.

Failing that i'll be taking my bucket and spade to the seaside, Epsom will be a bit too far for me on this occasion.

I'm sure I could do another route around Surrey but Sunday is too short notice to work it all out, plus I think I'm going to have to work this Sunday as my colleague probably isn't going to make it in all weekend.

I'd say we could organise something for the end of September.

Would you rather do the Plains as planned or do another Surrey adventure?

Oh well, I guess we are resigned to Sunday being cancelled.

James, can we leave it to you to find a free Saturday or Sunday in the near future so we can do the Plains?

Tis a shame it didn't work out for Sunday.

It can't be helped. It is the MODs own ground so we kind of have to work around them a bit.

I'll do some checking and find out when the next suitable dates are going to be. It'll need to be a Sunday and with enough notice I can make sure I am able to get a Yeti 4x4 for myself, or if it's in October I might have my own 4x4 of some description and I'd take that on a trip just to see what it can do.

As for available days, I can't do anything early September because of how many cars we've got to get out. I suspect it might actually be in October before I can actually do anything myself.

Ok James, thank you.

I am sure we all appreciate that you will be busy at this time of year.

:rofl: Yes all those 61 reg cars that will be needing homes (and the paperwork to go with it)!!!!!!!! Good luck James.

We do something later in the year then. Perhaps after the winter wheels have gone on to save (some) of us from having to swap TWICE! :giggle: (well the guys with 215/60 tyres anyway since we get extra ground clearance. The 205/55 boys should stick to the summer tyres since their Yetis will be lower than normal)