Climatronic self diagnose mode

I have used the diagnostics that allow you to move up and down each channel (typically 72 but some versions are less) and read the code. The decode of the numbers are shown on many VAG related forums but they don't seem to relate to my version of climatronic.

As mentioned in another thread on here there is another way. Pressing the two extreme buttons before turning the key puts the unit into self diagnose mode (and it says it on the screen). The climatronic system seems to cycle all the flaps, fan speeds and moving parts before displaying a code. On my case is was 444 followed by 00.

As far as I know my system is working perfectly but does anyone have any information about this mode and the displayed results. Searching on the web only gave me results for the manual diagnostics.

Mike

• Like 1

Initially my enables every section of the LCD display, and then after I press a button (once the fans have ramped up speed, etc), mine said the same 444 on the left and 00 on the right.

Initially my enables every section of the LCD display, and then after I press a button (once the fans have ramped up speed, etc), mine said the same 444 on the left and 00 on the right.

Well at least your says the same as mine so perhaps this is the "working OK" code.

If you don't press any buttons after the cycling of the in-car bits, it gives the code after about another minute. Just guessing but perhaps it is testing the compressor and other bits during that wait time.

I thought initially that 00 meant channel 0 so I tried to look at others using the cold/hot buttons but nothing happens. Tried all buttons with nothing happening except for ECON button which returns you to normal.

Mike

I tried mine again (washed the car after the tip run, so it needed to go back in the garage), I let it run its natural course and the same figures were displayed.

I am sure I used to have a sticky flap behind the glovebox as I used to hear to ticking, but VAGCOM never reported anything, and it certainly isn't making a noise at the moment.

hex 444 means there are no errors.

If you do get errors, press the temp button to cycle through the errors. If you see 000 it means you've seen all the codes.

e.g

214 = B+ voltage

318 = A/C Pressure wwitch (F129)

000 = no more codes

hex 444 means there are no errors.

If you do get errors, press the temp button to cycle through the errors. If you see 000 it means you've seen all the codes.

e.g

214 = B+ voltage

318 = A/C Pressure switch (F129)

000 = no more codes

Thanks for that. It means that our two aircon units are working perfectly. I will search again for the full list of codes in diagnose mode just in case I have problems in the future.

Mike

I have just performed this test on mine & got the following result

4FA 00

& 318

i don't know what it means apart from the fact it sounds like someone is using a ratchet wrench in the passenger footwell :S

Edited by dcburton

Hold the buttons down and turn the ignition on.

All the LCD segments should enable themselves, and then you will hear the fan speeds ramp up, etc. Wait a minute or so and the test should finish. If you press econ I think it aborts the test early.

If the flap makes a funny noise, is it probably broken or has a leaf (or somesuch) stuck in it, I suspect.

Edited by mbames

If the flap makes a funny noise, is it probably broken or has a leaf (or somesuch) stuck in it, I suspect.

I've removed the air flap positioning motor from mine as it needs replaced, took lid off & had a wee look, the clicking noise is from the motor worm gear jumping teeth on the first nylon gear. it is a bit of a PITA to get to :swear:

next question is, where do I get a replacement?

I've removed the air flap positioning motor from mine as it needs replaced, took lid off & had a wee look, the clicking noise is from the motor worm gear jumping teeth on the first nylon gear. it is a bit of a PITA to get to :swear:

next question is, where do I get a replacement?

I doubt you will get the gear as a single replacement part, so either take your luck with a second hand unit, or buy new (iirc, they are quite expensive - £100+, or learn to live with it....

Edited by mbames

If you have VCDS you can try...

[08 - Heating/Air Conditioning]

[basic Settings - 04]

Group 001

Go

This causes the Climatronic control unit to disgard all faults/learned settings and then go through a process to relearn the system it is attached to. This is required if you change one of the flap motors

didn't think i'd get the gear on it's own, have put the part number for motor through google & a couple come up on ebay, 2nd hand a tenner plus £7+ for postage, other new at £55 + £3 postage

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

hi my octavias air conditioner isn't wrkn n ac technician sayn compresser has 150 pound which accordin to him is perfect without any leak and sayn its tht ac doesn't start and has to be a electric problem; then I ve chkd with electrition and he's sayn fan is workin, relay is working and wiring looks ok as well and problem has to be pressure head switch but whn I ve told ac tech he's sayn there's no way head switch has gone bad I'm jus so frustrated coz I'm ok with watever money it takes bt I jus want it to be workin but noone seems to get to know why its nt wrkn n wat is the solution :(

I'm even thinkin abt selln it :(

oh n I ve done tht test on the climate con screen its showin error code "4F7 00"

please leme know wat does tht suppose to mean?

please help and thanks in advance

I did a quick google search on your error code and found it is a faulty Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (V68). So your compressor is working correctly - it is the flap valve that is blocking cold air.

Here are the two search links:-

http://www.vwaudifor...p/t-134793.html

http://wiki.ross-tec...index.php/01271