DMF or SMF?

My_Yeti

Many petrol cars also have DMF. But problems exist almost only on diesel cars due to the caracter of the diesel engine.

Thanks! I didn't realise the 1.2 TSI has DMF. Although I have yet to see any failures on a petrol engine, I can see why they fit DMF on diesel cars, but why a petrol when the torque is nowhere as high?

SMF is Single Mass Flywheel and DMF is the Dual counterpart!

Edited by My_Yeti

So why don't people say that!!!!!!! :dull:

I F@@@@@G hate acronyms!!!!!

I have to put up with enough at work!!!!

I don't have a problem with acronyms, as long as people explain what they mean and not assume everyone knows.

If I wrote that I have a SSC on my MPAN of 0393 nobody would know what I was talking about.

I won't bother to explain as it's REALLY not very interesting emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

I work in the utility industry for a MAJOR energy supplier.

You know, the one that supplies over 25% of the UKs' energy needs and is the BIGGEST producer of green energy in the UK.

There is NO point guessing or asking me who I work for coz I'm NOT telling emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Another unnecessarily aggressive response.

I suggest you practice what you preach, especially considering your recent thread titled 'DRL bulbs'.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/209862-drl-bulbs/

I had no clue what the acronyms stood for, but did figure it out - Google is your friend.

Once you get started, then it becomes interesting to see what it is all about. It would appear that DMF's are common on all direct injection engines, petrol and Diesel. It would also appear that they are tuned carefully to the engine torque.

This brings up the supposition that the springs in the 110, 140 and 170 engines ar different, so that re-mapping without replacing the flywheel might be a bit iffy.

Edited by Agerbundsen

BR acronym No.1:- LOL = Leafs on Line.

Another unnecessarily aggressive response.

I suggest you practice what you preach, especially considering your recent thread titled 'DRL bulbs'

Please keep your silly comments to yourself. If you don't like "angry responses" don't read car forums. There is not one car or car maker that has not, in their time, invoked anger from their customers.

Even my friend, who wanted a tow bracket fitted to his Rolls Royce and was told "We do not tow caravans with a Rolls", showed some mild annoyance. In the end he fabd and fitted his own!! (True Story!)

Please keep your silly comments to yourself. If you don't like "angry responses" don't read car forums.

I forget you two are chums.

Swearing at another poster is at best unpleasant and at worse down right offensive, the latter having no place on any forum.

To rant and rave at someone for daring to use an acronym when that same person created a post days earlier with one in its title is unbelievable.

As above, all it would have taken was a quick Google search, probably much quicker than their defamatory post.

There is not one car or car maker that has not, in their time, invoked anger from their customers.

It wasn't Skoda that titled the thread :smirk:

Why don't we get this thread back on track and keep any comments DMF or SMF related.

That's Dual Mass Flywheel and Single Mass Flywheel by the way :giggle:

My Yeti,

As far as I can tell they all have Dual Mass Flywheels.

Silver,

Never met Terfyn, so I don't think your first assumption is correct. The only people currently on this forum I have met are Tim The Plumber and George Freshacre.

And my rant was about acronyms/abbreviations (edited for accuracy!) in general. I consider them lazy and presumptive. There are ways to use them, generally by writing them in full first with the acronym in brackets following. This has just been introduced by my nation Motor Club following numerous complaints by members.

My Yeti,

As far as I can tell they all have Dual Mass Flywheels.

Silver,

Never met Terfyn, so I don't think your first assumption is correct. The only people currently on this forum I have met are Tim The Plumber and George Freshacre.

And my rant was about acronyms in general. I consider them lazy and presumptive. There are ways to use them, generally by writing them in full first with the acronym in brackets following. This has just been introduced by my nation Motor Club following numerous complaints by members.

Just had a reply from Honest John, the answer is inconclusive. Petrol cars such as the high power ones and the MK3 Mondeo Petrol has DMF.

I hate DMFs - I had to have the one on my Volvo V50 replaced and it messed up the clutch too. They are an industry-wide source of unreliability and problems. I agree they can help with NVH but they are simply not up to the job at the moment, or at least the cost-optimised production ones we see aren't. I'm not saying they all fail, but they are famously problematic.

Also, DMF, DRL, DPF - these are not acronyms. ;) These are abbreviations. An acronym is an abbreviation that makes a readable word in its own right - radar, laser, lol, bogof, AIDS etc. :p

Also, DMF, DRL, DPF - these are not acronyms. ;) These are abbreviations. An acronym is an abbreviation that makes a readable word in its own right - radar, laser, lol, bogof, AIDS etc. :p

I stand corrected and have edited my comment suitably.

Hi all,

Just heard back from VW regarding the flywheels.

A 1.2 TSI Golf does NOT have a DMF, have emailed Skoda to confirm.

This begs another question. When I drove the 1.6 TDI Golf as a courtesy car, in order to start it I had to depress the clutch. Is this the same with all TDI models?

My 1.2 TSI start without needing to depress the clutch.

Don't think it is engine specific?

It prevents people trying to start the engine when left in gear and reduces the strain on the battery/starter motor.

My Yeti can start without depressing the clutch, mmm I think I should do that manually anyway!