Top up engine oil for a new Roomster Scout TSI 105.

welshmike

The garage I bought my Roomster from said that I will need to top up the engine oil regularly betweeen services.

They specified Quantum Platinum oil.

What oil consumption are other owners getting from their Roomsters please?

I will need to top up the engine oil regularly
I wonder what they mean by regularly, an RX-8 owner can give you a very good definition of this as I believe they have to top up the oil every few weeks. Do they mean monthly, quarterly? I think of all the cars I have owned I have only topped up the oil once or twice in maybe two of them between services.

Hi!

The VAG (Skoda, VW, Audi, Seat) engines are known for consuming some oil when new, but that usually settles when they have been run in. The engine specifications, however, allow for quite high oil consumption as being normal.

I have the same engine and after 5300 Kkm (3300 miles) I have onced added oil, maybe 2 dl or so. But it is good to know this and regularly check the oil level. If you want more info there were a lot of discussion regarding the oil consumption going on in the Yeti forum, and it's the same engine.

Thanks.

I'll have a browse of that forum.

Mike

Edit: Have now browsed the Yeti forum and it looks like there is nothing to be concerned about.

Edited by welshmike

The garage I bought my Roomster from said that I will need to top up the engine oil regularly betweeen services.

They specified Quantum Platinum oil.

What oil consumption are other owners getting from their Roomsters please?

You only need top up if it actually uses any. My Fabia hasn't used a drop in 8K miles :)

(I don't always drive gently either)

Edited by Mike Wrightson

You only need top up if it actually uses any. My Fabia hasn't used a drop in 8K miles :)

(I don't always drive gently either)

Perhaps the salesman was being overly cautious.

It may have been more appropriate to advise me to leave the engine running for a couple of minutes before switching off to avoid turbo damage if I'd driven hard for a long time.

Different engine I know, but Mine has only had oil changes in 28,000 miles over 2 1/2 years. Has never needed topping up and is still on the full mark.

I had the oil level checked first at 2000 km (1.250 miles) by the official service, but I did not ask for the result because in the meantime I was busy with something else. Yesterday I checked again by myself (8500km - 5300 miles) and no visible consumption.

I had the oil level checked first at 2000 km (1.250 miles) by the official service, but I did not ask for the result because in the meantime I was busy with something else. Yesterday I checked again by myself (8500km - 5300 miles) and no visible consumption.

So you didn't check the oil for 4,000 miles - shame on you ! What if the oil went really low and the low level instrument warnings didn't work ? If this happened you could well be looking at a new engine !

I check my oil along with all the liquid levels each week !- must take all of 5 mins.

So you didn't check the oil for 4,000 miles - shame on you ! What if the oil went really low and the low level instrument warnings didn't work ? If this happened you could well be looking at a new engine !

I check my oil along with all the liquid levels each week !- must take all of 5 mins.

Yes, I know I am terribly guilty and will crawl for miles on my knees with ashes on my head in order to be forgiven by the Sacred Gods of Engines emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

BTW, more or less I behaved the same way with my old '98 Polo, which incidentally has just reached 175000 km (108.000 miles) with no problem except normal care and regular routine service. I used to check the oil level myself twice a year (it means every 5000km roughly) with no need of refill until 145.000km, when it began to show a slightly increased oil consumption. But I think it is rather normal after so much time and road.

Lots of people do not care about mechanics, they just go to the service when it is time to, when they happen to be there for some other reason, or when a light pops up on the dashboard. I think of all those housewives and people of all sorts I meet every day, never opening the bonnet of their cars until service time or until the water for washing their windscreen is finished.

With modern and efficient cars, why should not be this way, if you drive carefully a brand new car? I do a bit of maintenance myself, but as to engine oil I never experienced any problem in all my cars.

And the official Skoda Service simply told me, well, pop up sometimes and we will check it for you, let's say twice before first service (15.000 km or 1 year, but I am perfectly able to check it more often).

I am not saying you should not be careful, but modern cars are different, from, e.g., motorcycles.

My big-bore 460cc, 40hp Aprilia Scooter has all the modern tricks, FI, ECU, Cat., 4 valves, but like many other one-cylinder bike engines is known to be drinking some oil from time to time. I also know, and check oil level every 1000 km-ish. And I also need to refill, sometimes. Today car engines are a different story, though.

Just my twopence emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Those were the "delightful" days of old original BMC Minis, Ford Prefects and Anglias. Coolant and oil checks necessary before starting out and all that dirty maintenance just to keep them and my oily leaky British motorbikes running including roadside fixes to keep going.

I remember once a girlfriend donating her nylon stockings (honest :giggle: ) as an emergency replacement for a broken dynamo drive belt. We still had to push the car in the end.

Edited by welshmike

often a 5 min. check at home is worth a few hours at the roadside. Checking fluid levels once a week is so quick & simple and any kind of leak is caught early before it becomes a problem. Just had a water pump warranty replacement fitted to the Octavia . I noticed a slight reduction in coolant level over a few months. If I had not been monitoring by weekly check at home could have been a roadside emergency call ( with SWMBO breathing down my ear !).