Yeti wins comparison test in Sweeden

telecaster

I also find this a bit weird... The XC60 is definitely from a class above in terms of price. That the Yeti still won is lovely of course, but it is weird the cars they threw together. Why test such wildly different engines in the Kia/Hyundai? Or indeed have the XC60 there? Most people have a budget when they buy and don't shop willy nilly from £20,000 to near £40,000... And the £40,000 is perhaps why the Q5 is not here as it is a bit more expensive than the XC60 I suspect.

The ten 4x4s tested are the bestselling 10 in Sweeden, they just took the list, ordered the top 10 cars on the list and tested them.

That explaines the selection.

Personally I do not like the Volvo XC60 at all!

I have owned a XC70 which I liked, a XC90 which I really hated and rented a XC60 for a couple of weeks in snowy weather in Nothern Norway,

no good at all. The testers were not very impressed with the handling, sort of ok on tarmac, close to a dead donkey on all other roads :-)

Edited by telecaster

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at a Freelander with the same spec. I have ordered on my Yeti and it cost £40k! Almost 20k more then the Yeti.Was it streets ahead because of the brand? Nope! Was the build better? Nope! The Yeti Is far superior! So far I have yet to hear a bad review which is pretty rare in such a competative market. Even Clarkeson likes it which is almost unheard of on TG!

I looked at a Freelander with the same spec. I have ordered on my Yeti and it cost £40k! Almost 20k more then the Yeti.Was it streets ahead because of the brand? Nope! Was the build better? Nope! The Yeti Is far superior! So far I have yet to hear a bad review which is pretty rare in such a competative market. Even Clarkeson likes it which is almost unheard of on TG!

Worth finding out what a fully loaded Yeti in Comaprison is to a Tiguan (CR170, 4x4, Leather, Sat Nav, speaker upgrade, all the extras) you will fall off your seat I promise. :p

Worth finding out what a fully loaded Yeti in Comaprison is to a Tiguan (CR170, 4x4, Leather, Sat Nav, speaker upgrade, all the extras) you will fall off your seat I promise. :p

I did check out a Tiguan and the very snobby dealer took pride in telling me 29k and that was without satnav and all the other extras! So figure it would be closeer to 40k and he quoted 6 month wait!

The ten 4x4s tested are the bestselling 10 in Sweeden, they just took the list, ordered the top 10 cars on the list and tested them.

That explaines the selection.

Ah.. That explains it. You did not say that in the opening post. Now it makes sense.

Ah.. That explains it. You did not say that in the opening post. Now it makes sense.

you´ll have to be kind with me, English is not my native language, I speak Norwegian

and that means that sometimes I miss whats written between the lines, or rather;

its hard for me to write between the lines, so I ask for forgivness when my message

is not as clear as it should have been :D

That said, I truly love English, read a lot, see a lot of TV series and my favorite

comedians are the Monty Phyton gang and Billy Connolly!!

you´ll have to be kind with me, English is not my native language, I speak Norwegian

and that means that sometimes I miss whats written between the lines, or rather;

its hard for me to write between the lines, so I ask for forgivness when my message

is not as clear as it should have been :D

That said, I truly love English, read a lot, see a lot of TV series and my favorite

comedians are the Monty Phyton gang and Billy Connolly!!

Your English is better then some English people here! :D

+1

Your English is excellent!

I was in Iceland recently and everybody spoke English. For one trip we were in a party including Swedes, Germans and native Icelanders, and everyone just chatted in English as if it was their first langauge. I couldn't speak a word of their theirs.

Andy

That's the problem of our education system, when I was in school not so long ago, I was required to learn an extra language and I could really see the benefits, but now I don't think its compulsory.

I don't want to stereotype, but Scandanavians do speak extremely good English!

Abba, Robyn etc

Edited by My_Yeti

Also interesting to see.........................where were Land Rover & Range Rover???? emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

When Kitten and I were looking, we looked at and sat in a number of vehicles.

As Kitten is fairly petite, we discounted the cars she felt awkward in and also the cars we thought the interior looked 'cheap' We checked all round visibility too, and she particularly disliked the Tiguan due to the windscreen pillars being too big and obstructing our view.

In the end we only took ONE vehicle out for a test drive (well several drives actually :giggle:) and that was the 'clinching' moment. emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Kitten instantly felt 'at-home' in a Yeti, and there are very few cars she feels safe and comfortable in...........................and so the deal was done, and deposits were paid................and the long wait ensued.

Was worth EVERY second though and I'm glad we found Ivor. emoticon-0105-wink.gif

I did check out a Tiguan and the very snobby dealer took pride in telling me 29k and that was without satnav and all the other extras! So figure it would be closeer to 40k and he quoted 6 month wait!

Having owned a Tiguan of identical engine spec the Yeti feels very different in some ways.Less bus like, much tighter turning circle, far better ride (mine was the daft Tiguan 'Sport' with no discernible suspension). quieter and about 8mpg more economical. Also Tiguan beset with problems- 2 propshafts under warranty, juddery clutch - probably get the same on Yeti in due course.Yeti styling far better. Tiguan looked like a pretty girl with a massive a**se....

Having owned a Tiguan of identical engine spec the Yeti feels very different in some ways.Less bus like, much tighter turning circle, far better ride (mine was the daft Tiguan 'Sport' with no discernible suspension). quieter and about 8mpg more economical. Also Tiguan beset with problems- 2 propshafts under warranty, juddery clutch - probably get the same on Yeti in due course.Yeti styling far better. Tiguan looked like a pretty girl with a massive a**se....

Ivor will be a year old on 1st September and we've had NO problems whatsoever.

The little chap has never missed a single beat. emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Now all I have to do is renew his tax disc. emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Out of interest I speced up a new Freelander with the 190hp engine, to get a similar spec to the SM I've ordered would be 29.6k, that's without metallic and leather Infact pretty basic.

It appears a very good engine but I would never consider one, for that money I'd go BMW or Audi.

When I was shopping for my X5 a few years ago I enquired about a RR Sport 4k more, a Freelander HSE 1k more than an X5!!! The Landrover salesman informed me I would get the prestige of a LR for my money not that they were better cars.

Hi,

my Golf V TDI 4motion kept eating prop shafts also. However had no such problems with the previous Octavia I 4x4 which apart from the well known coil pack issue with the old 1.8T 20v engine was faultless.

TP

Check out the spec of the Tiguan 140 / 170 R-Lines here:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.volkswagen.co.uk%2Fassets%2Fcommon%2Fpdf%2Fbrochures%2Ftiguan-r-line-brochure.pdf&rct=j&q=Tiguan%20R-Line&ei=3dlQTt_6J9K0hAe8-_2iDg&usg=AFQjCNFN68MqrF-P0Q1twfzNGZIfHgqVSQ

No leather you will note from the brochure unless added as an option (and a very expensive one too!). The Yeti Elegance is such a stunning VFM spec in my mind (even before you start adding options like panaramic sunroofs, sat nav, park assist etc) Elegance spec added to the 140/170 4x4s you are getting a stunning perforamnce compact SUV for a cracking price. :p

Anyone know what the difference is between the Sport & R-Line Tiguans? Edit found it the brochure above ........

For those who like a sporty, powerful drive and an individual look to their car, the Tiguan R Line is the perfect solution. The R Line builds upon the generous standard equipment offered on the Sport, but includes additional sporty styling cues, which give it a dynamic look and a powerful road presence.

Inside, the R Line really is something to indulge in. You still get all the features and functions available on the Sport, including an RCD 510 touch-screen radio system with an MP3 compatible CD player and AUX-in socket, an automatic coming/leaving home lighting function and dusk and rain sensors.

However, in addition to all these features, 2Zone electronic climate control is fitted as standard and the front sports seats are upholstered in unique ‘Monte Carlo’ cloth, with the R Line logo embossed into the front head restraints. Add to that a leather trimmed multifunction steering wheel with R Line logo insert complete with multifunction computer (Highline), a leather gear knob with an aluminium insert and aluminium-look pedals with R Line logo and all of these combine to make you feel at home in the R Line and give it an Interior shown is Tiguan R Line with optional DVD touch-screen navigation/radio system and Winter pack. ambience of real sporting style and comfort.

Edited by VRS-LE-OCT-II

Anyone know what the difference is between the Sport & R-Line Tiguans?

The main difference to me is on the outside. They added wider side valances and front and rear spoilers and have colour coded these and added 19" wheels. I don't much care for the Tiguan but every time I see an R-Line I go, wow! The stance on those wheels and the colour coding just works! They are by far the best looking Tiguans to my eyes. BUT with all that addenda it is also pretty clear they are tarmac cars only and will never manage going off-road!

Well Johann, the CR140/CR170 R-Line is the nearest thing in the VAG stable to an Elegance CR140/CR170, even before you look at the results of this Swedish test in performance terms, the VFM angle is so much better with a Yeti. The amount of Tiguan car owners I know who think the Yeti is a "poor cousin" are in for a surprise if they ever get wind of the cost of a fully specced Tiguan (Sport/R-Line) v Yeti (Elegance). I am pretty sure the R-Line comes with a leather interior, I know I was interested in one.

I do agree the Tiguan R-Line is the prettiest variant, not as attractive to me though as the SM.

I do agree the Tiguan R-Line is the prettiest variant, not as attractive to me though as the SM.

I agree the SM is better..... But it is interesting to me how much better the Tiguan looks by just adding the wider body colour valances and bigger wheels. Which makes me think the Yeti will also look great if one was to do this! Like in a Yeti vRS... Something like this one that someone on this forum made (apologies I can't remember who!):

yetivrs.jpg

Johann I am sure you have seen the "Cobra" Yeti variant (not sure on the looks myself but interesting - closest thing I have seen to a Yeti VRS):

Skoda_Yeti_SUV_Tuning_by_Cobra.jpg

These things look great, but impact on ground clearance by a country mile. Yes the Yeti the thinking mans performance compact 4x4 SUV :thumbup:

Johann I am sure you have seen the "Cobra" Yeti variant (not sure on the looks myself but interesting - closest thing I have seen to a Yeti VRS):

These things look great, but impact on ground clearance by a country mile. Yes the Yeti the thinking mans performance compact 4x4 SUV :thumbup:

Yes have seen that one but it does not have a vRS look in my book. Just a Yeti with bling on. THESE I posted earlier however do have a vRS look (if you ignore the bizarre colour combinations):

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/201162-how-not-to-pimp-your-yeti/page__view__findpost__p__2395322

I picked up my Sunday Times in gear today to read at breakfast, and they give a big Mercedes £40K 4x4 SUV (450L?) a 4 star rating, I note the 0-60mph time is quoted as 8.2 secs, in same issue a Porker Panamera Diesel is quoted as 7.9 secs, when you consider the Yeti CR170 is 8.4 ..... well :thumbup::D what is the 0-60 of the 1.8 TSI?