Tell me why you love your skoda

Top Quality on a budget

SKODA OCTAVIA 2.0 TDI CR Scout 4x4 5dr DSG (Review date: 15th August '11)

I waited 7 months for delivery of my Skoda Octavia Scout 2.0 TDI CR DSG DPF, which was the only downside to choosing this car!! I have had it 3 months now and so far I cannot fault it. It is the ronseal of the automotive industry, it does exactly what it says on the tin. The engine, 4WD and DSG gearbox are superb, Build quality is excellent, I get 50mpg + on a run, the road holding is exceptional for a car with raised ground clearance. It suits my lifestyle perfectly, fishing and ferrying 2 daft springer spaniels around. I have used it off road to access fishing where a normal 2WD car would not get!! The deal from Skoda was best on the market, VAT free on car & options, 50% deposit with the remainder interest free over 2 years, 3 year full servicing & maintenance package for £1300, £300 refund to compensate for extended delivery time. No wonder Skoda won manufacturer of the year 2011. Dealer service so far has been exemplary. So far the perfect buying & owning experience. The definition of quality - fit for purpose at minimum cost. Buy with your head, this is an Audi A4 Allroad bar the badge at less than 2/3 of the cost!! As you may have already guessed - I love this car!!

Practicality

5 / 5

Reliability

5 / 5

Running cost

5 / 5

How it drives

5 / 5

Understated

Performance

Well built

Cheaper and better than vivals

Comments from other motorists/family/friends

Comfortable

You end up with one Skoda in the driveway, then end up with 2. Cant say anything btter than that. Been on an oddysey from a 1.8T VRS to a CR170 LE VRS Estate, now added a Yeti.....gotta be a special marque.

Edited by VRS-LE-OCT-II

massive lack of dealer network in NI means not many about my neck of the woods :thumbup: so its "Race Blue" not the English "Common Blue" :giggle: When I lived in England with my Furby I had a Yellow one again it was not very common I passed 1 locally ONCE only :thumbup: It must be good because without having ever driven one before or even seeing an FL in the flesh I bought a brand spanker and waited in line for it :D with no worries or hesitations, the word of my fellow Briskodians was enough for me :thumbup: And it was the first and most likely last ever brand new car I will be able to afford to but straight out (I don't agree with finance)

I'm on my third new mk2 vRS so that says it all really. There isn't anything else out there to match it in terms of performance, practicality and quality for the price, in fact you're probably pushing 30k before I'd find something comparable.

Spend just over a grand on it for a revo stage 1 remap and koni fsd dampers with eibach springs and it's a serious car that's quicker than a standard S3 or Golf R, albeit not with the 4 wheel drive traction capability. I actually had a brief play with a Focus RS a few months back and it couldn't pull away from me.

I've got two young children and we do a fair bit of travel. The boot on the Octy is massive, bigger than an S class Mercedes and has always taken everything we've wanted to throw at it.

Before my first vRS I had an Audi TT V6 and before that a mk 4 Golf V5, both lovely cars, but the vRS is the best all rounder. The build quality and the touch and feel of the interior is on a par with the golf but the TT takes some beating.

In summary it's a great car. As for the next car probably not another Octavia but maybe a Superb V6 estate.

I'm on my third new Octavia

Me too. Problem I've got is that I've seen a yellow one for sale...

Edited by Paul007

Read Skoda reviews in 2005. owned two fabia since and now an octy. Influenced at least 5 others to buy and all still happy with their cars ranging from fabia to superb.

well built, quality, biggies in disguise at a reasonable cost.

On my second vRS TSi

Every time I pass an Audi driver it puts a kind of smug smile on my face as I know I'm driving a better car!

Performance

Build quality

Reliability

Styling

Driving experience

Value for money.

Happy driver's indeed. :rofl:

Moved on from a mk1 octy vrs to a mk2 didn't think it could be better . I was wrong the mk2 is awesome, Also I'm driving it around some of the Yorkshire Dales best roads with a big grin on my face! It gets better and better.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Mk2 Octavia 1.9Tdi, 2007 model with 46k on the clock. This is my first Skoda and I've only owned it for a month.

When I bought it, it was a massive leap of faith for me as I've been a Honda fan for years. Wifey has an Accord Sport and it's a fabulous motor.

However, due to a change in work circumstances, I am now faced with a round trip of 100 miles on a daily basis. And the Octavia excels in all aspects.

Fuel economy is excellent. A combined 58 mpg. It feels

solid and is very well screwed together. No rattles or

squeaks.

It is extremely spacious, especially the boot, which is

important as I have three growing children.

But for me, the seats are the winning factor. I get out of the

car following a long journey and have no problem with my back at all.

Badge snobs beware. Ignore at your peril!

Wifey is due to change her car next year. I can see the driveway being graced by another Skoda as she absolutely

loves the Octavia!

Edited by flying pig

Also gone from a mk1 to a mk2, 8 years no problems with my mk1.

No brainer to go to a mk2 vrs, and still smiling!

9 full years of vrs driving, with just a thermostat failure as a black mark.

Not bad for 110'000 miles....

But for me, the seats are the winning factor. I get out of the

car following a long journey and have no problem with my back at all.

It's funny you should say that when there seems to be a lot of people who find the Octavia seats uncomfortable whereas I find the same as you, they're just incredibly comfortable. I was having back problems last year (no idea of the cause) and decided I'd still drive up to see a friend despite expecting my VRS's harsher ride to be a bit uncomfortable but it was the opposite, when I stepped out of the car my back was noticeably better. Later on I ended up sitting in the car for a bit at times as it just seemed to hold and support my back perfectly.

I'll be honest at times recently my Skoda has annoyed me due to a lot of niggling problems (flashing coil light on startup, intermittent cruise control, seized wheel bolt, malfunctioning interior convenience light etc.) but yesterday when I was moving my little brother and the contents of its flat it very much demonstrated why I should love it. I drove down 160 miles, packed its enormous loadspace full, drove another 60 miles, unloaded it then onto Ikea and back with a load of awkward furniture and then another 160 miles home all of which the Octavia handled with complete ease, I can't believe how well it drove fully loaded as my Toledo with the similar 150bhp TDI engine really suffered and the way it ate up the miles meant it didn't feel like I'd driven 380 miles. At times I did question was it really worth all this effort to keep the dog happy (main reason for buying the Octavia) but it's such a versatile car I think it's been the right choice as it's fast but economic, great to drive but practical.

JOhn

Edited by JohnMcL7

I just love it plain and simple am on my second vrs whch will be swopped for a cr170 yeti next year i hope would not buy from a different manufactuer ticks all the boxes and you cant beat the money aspect too try buying A4 in as good a spec as a vrs wouldnt expect to get for less than 25k

Edited by skodafab

I am on my 5th, & have bought for -

1 - Value for money

2 - Practical

3 - Versatile ( Specially the vRS versions owned)

4 - Relatively inexpensive to run ( considering costs today)

5 - Very good dealer experience ( i know there are some carp ones)

Last of all, Why would I be stupid & pay £4k plus for a similarly badged VW or Audi ?

We always choose Skodas for the daily drive & family workhorse, They represent excelent value for money, are incredibly reliable & any niggles are quickly sorted by the dealer. Even out of warranty they have all continued to be reliable & when anything needs replacing parts are well priced & always available. Our latest one is a Scout & is the best by far. It was excellent in all the snow last year & totally effortless on a couple of trips we made to southern Spain. Its even fun to drive when pushed, drifts & leans a bit but totally predictable.

all of the above.

We love our Scout and like the fact that there aren't that many around - especialy with the polished alloys.

I wouldn't give it 10 of 10 for comfort though; more like a 7.5 - with an empty boot the suspension can be rock-hard - and having had to wait for 8 months to take delivery wasn't great either but we certainly got value for money.

JohnMcL7. I'm glad you agree. My back has taken some stick over the years what with running stupid amounts of miles whilst carrying heavy rucksacks.

These seats are superb. Even after a heavy day on the fells and a long drive home, my usually creaking back is surprisingly happy! ;-)