Lacquer Peeling Off Spoiler

This has happened to me over the last few months and I know there have been a few posts on this recently so I reckon a recent combination of weather has probably made the problem worse.

There are also suggestions that the quality of the plastic spoiler is cr@p which may be a valid point, but I was driving in the rain the other day and it reminded me just how shocking the aerodynamics must be at the back of the car, anyone who's driven in bad weather without the rear windscreen wiper working will be able to testify to that. Within seconds you may as well forget the rear view mirror.

Certainly in my case and a few other pics I've seen on here, it is predominantly the front edge of the spoiler where the lacquer starts to peel, so I wonder if as your drive along, the air slides nicely over the roof and BANG into the spoiler. Of course it is the job of the spoiler to disrupt air flow but is it just getting a really hard time of it up there at the back?

As a point of interest, does anyone in a non-VRS without a spoiler have the same issues with the rear of the car (especially the rear window) getting filthy extremely quickly?

Thought welcomed, I am bored. emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

As a point of interest, does anyone in a non-VRS without a spoiler have the same issues with the rear of the car (especially the rear window) getting filthy extremely quickly?

The rear end of my normal Fabia seems to get dirtier than the front, and the rear windscreen is generally fouled with rainwater fairly quickly, even when moving at 40mph ...

The lacquer failure is more than likely due to differential expansion between the metal, bonding agent and the plastic. Those panels get extremely hot on a sunny day. Wing mirrors, bumpers don't seem to be affected, and they are 'self contained' units that can expand and contract with heat/cold, but as they are not bonded to metal, will not cause stress cracks in the lacquer.

Differential expansion can produce some incredible forces, I've seen cracked windscreens, where the rear view mirror has been refitted with super glue, instead of the correct bonding glue.

The lacquer failure is more than likely due to differential expansion between the metal, bonding agent and the plastic. Those panels get extremely hot on a sunny day. Wing mirrors, bumpers don't seem to be affected, and they are 'self contained' units that can expand and contract with heat/cold, but as they are not bonded to metal, will not cause stress cracks in the lacquer.

Differential expansion can produce some incredible forces, I've seen cracked windscreens, where the rear view mirror has been refitted with super glue, instead of the correct bonding glue.

Never actually looked at how the spoiler was fixed, differential expansion seems like a sound cause. Especially given the combination of hot and cold we've had this year.

Everyone seems to suffer from this issue. My 4yr old SE started about 3 months ago. Really annoyed as Skoda said it wasn't covered by the body warranty only their normal warranties.

:(

My Polos one was fine (well, a tiny couple of bubbles) until I went on holiday. Came back after a week to find some bird poo on it, which I then washed off - only to find a much large section of lacquer starting to lift.

Plan to go over it with some touch-up clear coat to at least stop it spreading further.

My Polos one was fine (well, a tiny couple of bubbles) until I went on holiday. Came back after a week to find some bird poo on it, which I then washed off - only to find a much large section of lacquer starting to lift.

Plan to go over it with some touch-up clear coat to at least stop it spreading further.

My SE the same suddenly appeared mid June

Tried the touch up clear coat, no good just erupted elsewhere back to square one

Intend taking all the laminate off then clear coat the lot

Dealer not intersted as it is PLASTIC and warranty is for galvanised metal only :-(

National

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got and 07 blue vRS and my lacquer started peeling on my spoiler in the autumn. Like others I contacted the dealer about warranty without luck. Given that this appears to be a widespread issue has anyone contacted trading standards or a consumer watchdog about the issue? Wondered if that might be worth a try as a four year old car shouldn't suffer this issue regardless of warranty.

.. I lost a huge amount of the lacquer within a couple of weeks... Started as a tiny bubble and ended up being 20% of the spoiler.

Here's a thought. The lacquer is known to haze as well, I polished mine back up, more than once.... Could too many applications of cutting polishes be breaking the clear coat and letting in the moister that then allows the differential expansion to be far more destructive as the bond is weakened.

It's wrapped at the minute as although you can see the patch where it's missing if you look close, it looks much better for the time being until I decide to fix or sell up.

I wish I had a different coloured car really, because I could have just painted it black... but on a magic black car it's gotta match really.

Question for the people who know about body work....

If I key the surface, will that be abrasive enough to let me confidently paint, with out the lacquer under my new paint continuing to let go? If you catch my drift?

Will keying the surface be enough to remove the old lacquer?

Edited by Rob.

Question for the people who know about body work....

If I key the surface, will that be abrasive enough to let me confidently paint, with out the lacquer under my new paint continuing to let go? If you catch my drift?

Will keying the surface be enough to remove the old lacquer?

It won't take much effort to get all of the lacquer off tbh, just just a piece of grey scotchbrite to key it up, but make dammed sure you don't get it anywhere near the glass or other paintwork.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine went on Sunday when I was washing it. Its taken nearly 7 years but its peeled where the angle is for the arial 'recess' in the middle, and on closer inspection there are a few tiny blisters appearing on the left side along the leading edge.

I've noticed mine 'hazing' when I've washed it for the last year or so, but reading above I realise I may have made it worse by polishing the hell out of the haze! :wall: I'd heard about the peeling issue and just thought I'd been lucky and got a good one.

Now I know different, but I havent really got the cash to get it resprayed ATM.

Thinking about 3M carbon vinyl wrapping it for now, and if I like it I may do the whole roof! Its black anyways, so it wont be too 'in your face'........... :bandit: