Rear Seat DVD System

tuonopepper

Hi All,

I'm about to commit to an ex Management V6 Superb estate and it's got everything I need bar one thing, rear DVD system which given my current XC90 has it's not worth the argument with the kids and not fitting one, lol. I've seen the system the dealers push and it's nothing integrated or special so I am not going that way, ideally I want a replacement headrest system and thought I'd see if anyone had any experience/recommendation of any.

Incidentally this will be replacing my XC90, when I bought the XC90 last year I was looking for a V6 Superb but as residuals were so low the PCP was dearer than the XC, however this current deal makes a fabulous bargain and shaves over £150 a month of my PCP costs, add to that a bigger load space and more leg room in row 2, plus the 4x4 system and it's a no brainer for me as 5 seats and boot space is what I need - incidentally the fuel economy is about the same too!

Looking very likely the Superb estate will be joining wifeys Octy VRS on the drive very soon!

As a general ask...I'm not expecting any difficulties given it's only done 9k but anything to look out for generally and how's the insurance?

Nice choice!

I know what you mean about the rear DVDs - I recently put a kit into ours and the peace on the way to Cornwall the other month was heaven :thumbup:

After much research, I eventually went for a Nextbase Click 7 Duo System with the headrest stanchion mounts. These fix onto the headrest poles and then the screens attach directly onto the brackets. Very secure system and avoids all the hassle of velcro round the headrests etc. I appreciate that this isn't a proper built in headrest DVD system but is probably the closest to it without having to fork out over £500.

stanchion_mount_1__09393_std.jpg

Click_7_Duo_5__08052_thumb.jpg

Why not mount iPads on the rear seats fro the kidds?

My kids have always just used their PSPs (with headphones) with films ripped off DVDs and converted for PSP on to a memory card...smallish screen I know but a truly portable solution. Good for music and games too. Albsolue harmony in the car as there's no arguing over what to watch.

Just done France and back 2000 miles in the V6 with 5 and 7 year old with separate iPads and also DS. Getting films on is a pain but feasible. Used the Griffin limited volume headphones. Lots of wires but kept everyone v happy!!! (Combined with music max faded to the front of the cabin!! )

I would def go for a PSP/iPad/iTouch type solution. Sorts your Xmas present problems out as well!!

I did use a Philips Headrest system off Amazon for £200 with monitors but it blew its fuse on one monitor on start up - as you can imagine, nothing like one child with a screen and one without! (wasn't the Skoda, was an 04 Touran).

Pass on any good tips you might find please and good luck with a great new car.

Nice choice!

I know what you mean about the rear DVDs - I recently put a kit into ours and the peace on the way to Cornwall the other month was heaven :thumbup:

After much research, I eventually went for a Nextbase Click 7 Duo System with the headrest stanchion mounts. These fix onto the headrest poles and then the screens attach directly onto the brackets. Very secure system and avoids all the hassle of velcro round the headrests etc. I appreciate that this isn't a proper built in headrest DVD system but is probably the closest to it without having to fork out over £500.

stanchion_mount_1__09393_std.jpg

Click_7_Duo_5__08052_thumb.jpg

These are the ones on offer by the dealer but obviously available elsewhere much cheaper, what put me off was I was told (haven't checked) that despite you being able to take them out of the car there's no 3 pin plug power lead for them?

Just done France and back 2000 miles in the V6 with 5 and 7 year old with separate iPads and also DS. Getting films on is a pain but feasible. Used the Griffin limited volume headphones. Lots of wires but kept everyone v happy!!! (Combined with music max faded to the front of the cabin!! )

I would def go for a PSP/iPad/iTouch type solution. Sorts your Xmas present problems out as well!!

I did use a Philips Headrest system off Amazon for £200 with monitors but it blew its fuse on one monitor on start up - as you can imagine, nothing like one child with a screen and one without! (wasn't the Skoda, was an 04 Touran).

Pass on any good tips you might find please and good luck with a great new car.

Ouch, no one being able to watch and one not would be too much pain to bear, I'd have to say they were both broken less hassle!

We have an ipad and an ipad2 and a couple of HTC flyer tablets, plus DSs, PSP etc, I've always liked the fixed nature of the headrests systems but pros and cons with everything. I've used the strap on ones before and they. like the click duo have the advantage of coming out of the car for hotel, ferry, whatever use....decisions, decisions......

One thing I have just noticed on the 170 diesel I have borrowed for 24 hours (they didn't have a V6 and I just wanted a feel for the car in Elegance spec) is the columbuis unit plays DVDs too, ideal for me lazing around between meetings. To my surpirse it also seemed to keep playing with the handbrake off and the car in 'D'. I haven't tried to drive off yet but every time I've had that capability before as soon as you take the handbrake off it goes to audio only.....is this a standard Columbus feature or some kind of add on?

Ah OK, tried in on the move and it went off, be OK for crawling in jam though, ignoring the legal aspects for a second, is there a way of stopping it going off?

Edited by tuonopepper

Bought the same system as Coops, but went for the 9" screens as the distance from the screen to the viewer is quite big in the Superb.

9" could be a good idea, that way when the kids catch on I can say 'no sorry they are too big to get a set fitted to mums Octy VRS, lol), actually there's a thought....I assume you can buy bracketary/wiring seperate and swap the DVD player/screens between cars too?

These are the ones on offer by the dealer but obviously available elsewhere much cheaper, what put me off was I was told (haven't checked) that despite you being able to take them out of the car there's no 3 pin plug power lead for them?

There is an adapter included to enable you to use in the home plus the option of purchasing a battery pack (for standalone viewing)

There is an adapter included to enable you to use in the home plus the option of purchasing a battery pack (for standalone viewing)

Seems there is on NextBase but not on the Voyager system the dealers supplied, looking like I'll go that way, some decent 'bundles' about on the deluxe models, just need to decide on the extra 2" or not for another £100, not like I'll ever watch them, lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just my opinion - there is a worrying trend of children becoming 'monitor reliant' long gone are the days of the 1 TV household. Be it TV, computer, mobile phone or whatever - I think the family 'unit' is being slowly segmented with individual music/video players etc. I'm not against DVD systems etc I just wouldn't like to think the default position of taking the kids on a long journey is to put on a film to hopefully keep them quiet.

I used to enjoy taking the wife and kids on long trips (Scotland to Cornwall was a regular) to see the country from the car windows and spending time together but now the kids are teenagers and see me as some kind of ancient meddling fuddy-duddy so time spent together seems like a punishment to them!

These rose-tinted specs are fantastic.

Ouch, no one being able to watch and one not would be too much pain to bear, I'd have to say they were both broken less hassle!

We have an ipad and an ipad2 and a couple of HTC flyer tablets, plus DSs, PSP etc, I've always liked the fixed nature of the headrests systems but pros and cons with everything. I've used the strap on ones before and they. like the click duo have the advantage of coming out of the car for hotel, ferry, whatever use....decisions, decisions......

One thing I have just noticed on the 170 diesel I have borrowed for 24 hours (they didn't have a V6 and I just wanted a feel for the car in Elegance spec) is the columbuis unit plays DVDs too, ideal for me lazing around between meetings. To my surpirse it also seemed to keep playing with the handbrake off and the car in 'D'. I haven't tried to drive off yet but every time I've had that capability before as soon as you take the handbrake off it goes to audio only.....is this a standard Columbus feature or some kind of add on?

Ah OK, tried in on the move and it went off, be OK for crawling in jam though, ignoring the legal aspects for a second, is there a way of stopping it going off?

Just my opinion - there is a worrying trend of children becoming 'monitor reliant' long gone are the days of the 1 TV household. Be it TV, computer, mobile phone or whatever - I think the family 'unit' is being slowly segmented with individual music/video players etc. I'm not against DVD systems etc I just wouldn't like to think the default position of taking the kids on a long journey is to put on a film to hopefully keep them quiet.

I used to enjoy taking the wife and kids on long trips (Scotland to Cornwall was a regular) to see the country from the car windows and spending time together but now the kids are teenagers and see me as some kind of ancient meddling fuddy-duddy so time spent together seems like a punishment to them!

These rose-tinted specs are fantastic.

It's a fair point and having a wife who's a primary school teacher the kids woul;d never get away with just watching DVDs for a whole long distance journey, it's just part of the package of entertainment to keep them going, the car is usually also loaded with books, travel games etc. We quite often send them to play outside in the rain too instead of watching the TV, using the Xbox/PS3 etc, they're waterproof after all :-)

Like everything in life, finding a balance is the tough bit!

• Like 1

I am using the Xtrons headrest in my Superb. Kids are satisfied which is the most important thing for me. Nothing to remove from the car when parked. No cables in the cabin. The downside is the design, which could be better. But what to expect for 180£ incl wireless headphones. The screen and playback quality is fine.

Look for a ebay seller named "Blacksilvertech". I had good support from them and they deliver very fast.

I am using the Xtrons headrest in my Superb. Kids are satisfied which is the most important thing for me. Nothing to remove from the car when parked. No cables in the cabin. The downside is the design, which could be better. But what to expect for 180£ incl wireless headphones. The screen and playback quality is fine.

Look for a ebay seller named "Blacksilvertech". I had good support from them and they deliver very fast.

Hi There

How did you hide the cables on the install ? Did you install the cables through the seat ?

Cheers

i-s would it be possible to put up a few photos.

How did you get access into the back of the seat.

Can you release the back ?

D

Yes, through the seats following the original cabling for the seat. Power from the fuse box with wires under the carpet.

Took me 6 hours to install, but maybe I am slow.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I'd be really interested in how you routed the cables through the seat. I'm trying to do this right now, and failing! I just cant seem to release the bottom of the seatback. I've installed headrest dvds in 4 different Citroens, and never had a problem. It would seem my Skoda Superb is harder to take apart than the Citroens we've had, or fall apart!

• 4 weeks later...

I read alot on lightinthebox about guides on youtube for fitting their dvd headrests but nobody ever links to them and I cannot seem to find the ones specific to the device they are commenting on. My biggest concern with these after marked devices is how easy they are to add/remove, controlling them and the colour match.