Which Brake manufacturer parts for VRS?

vRSAnt

Looking into parts needed to overhaul all my brakes as they are up to 80k now and I think this will really revamp the car for me

I can get all round parts from ECP, Pagid parts for £120 and can even collect

However the local fitters use Apec, which may be a little cheaper but I don't know much about this brand.

I know I could also go for pricier options like AP, or Brembo, or other main brands like Ferodo, Bosch, Mintex.

I've got 288mm fronts and standard 232mm rears and planning to stick with them

I've got the winder and brake key so if I could be arsed could even do it myself, if I was so willing :D

Any advice / recommends please ?

Cheers :)

Well maybe just go with what you already know, at the factory VAG tend to, mainly, use Pagid for front pads and Textar for rear pads - both these companies are part of TMD Friction - and Mintex is the UK based arm although they don't get used at factory, maybe for good reason (sorry for knocking UK company's kit but I think that they don't deserve my money). For discs maybe also try Pagid as ECP sell them, I tend to buy ATE though ECP would rather sell you Pagid right now. GSF sell Brembo - I've always kind of wished that I had tried them. AP might still be part of Lockheed or maybe like Lucas they are now a "name for hire" to badge up Chinese junk.

Well maybe just go with what you already know, at the factory VAG tend to, mainly, use Pagid for front pads and Textar for rear pads - both these companies are part of TMD Friction - and Mintex is the UK based arm although they don't get used at factory, maybe for good reason (sorry for knocking UK company's kit but I think that they don't deserve my money). For discs maybe also try Pagid as ECP sell them, I tend to buy ATE though ECP would rather sell you Pagid right now. GSF sell Brembo - I've always kind of wished that I had tried them. AP might still be part of Lockheed or maybe like Lucas they are now a "name for hire" to badge up Chinese junk.

Pagid are also the UK arm of TMD Friction

Pagid are OE fit on a huge range of VAGs - You can see their website here: http://www.pagid.de/eu

They supply the brake parts for cars such as the Astra H, Golf, Porsche Cayenne etc....

Pagid are also the UK arm of TMD Friction

Pagid are OE fit on a huge range of VAGs - You can see their website here: http://www.pagid.de/eu

They supply the brake parts for cars such as the Astra H, Golf, Porsche Cayenne etc....

"Pagid are also the UK arm of TMD Friction" now now, you should know better, Mintex are the UK based manufacturing arm of TMD, Pagid and Textar, also parts of TMD Friction, while being represented in UK are manufactured and headquartered in Germany (no bad thing) - now just get on with chasing up ATE Power Disks as they are on back order!

I had APEC on my 182... total garbage imo.

Stick to something tried and tested like Pagid or Ferodo Premier :)

Agreed, except I've never rated Ferodo that much. Given a choice, I'd use Pagid/Textar every time

"Pagid are also the UK arm of TMD Friction" now now, you should know better, Mintex are the UK based manufacturing arm of TMD, Pagid and Textar, also parts of TMD Friction, while being represented in UK are manufactured and headquartered in Germany (no bad thing) - now just get on with chasing up ATE Power Disks as they are on back order!

Quite correct. I used to work for Mintex at their (now gone) UK headquarters. A firend, visiting this weekend, is the R&D and Technical Sales chairman at their headquarters in Leverkusen in Germany.

Most Mintex supplied aftermarket pads are last generation Original Equipment materials usually made at the TMD factory in Hartlepool. All are boxed to OE standards. Usually pretty good but I am biased a bit.

Edited by Shadowphax

Quite correct. I used to work for Mintex at their (now gone) UK headquarters. A firend, visiting this weekend, is the R&D and Technical Sales chairman at their headquarters in Leverkusen in Germany.

Most Mintex supplied aftermarket pads are last generation Original Equipment materials usually made at the TMD factory in Hartlepool. All are boxed to OE standards. Usually pretty good but I am biased a bit.

I suppose its indicative of our UK approach to car manufacturing that has lead to firms like Mintex becoming known for aftermarket applications only. Though I'm surprised that Nissan and/or Toyota do not use them at the factory - I could be wrong though and maybe they do. A long long time ago, when I used to mess with Landrovers, we seemed to prefer Girling and Don brake shoes and did fit Ferodo linings and had a "thing" about using Mintex - I think that it was mainly down to personal experience with what kind of grip the transmission brake had after getting fitted with Mintex linings, in a hostile environment with lots of serious hills with many gates to open, a good handbrake was a MUST! Also, latterly, a set of Mintex (rear) pads bought from GSF on-line turned up still looking like they had left the factory, ie box was in pristine condition, instead of 4-off bolts there were only 2-off and they were of the "1980's" style - ie no relieved area below the hex head, and the pads metal backing looked like a blacksmith had cut them up, luckily for me GSF had sent the wrong ones (wrong sex of wear indicator connector) and I got them changed - next set were correct part but had all the same low standard of manufacture and kit contents, they were kept for a few months then got "chopped in" at my local GSF for the correct Textar kit - result. I'd really love to boast about UK manufactured parts as I'm in that sector, but unfortunately that recent experience of Mintex just annoyed and saddened me - sorry.

Well I have a lovely set of Pagid's ready to fit.

Weighs a ton when you are carrying the lot together!

The local garage were bigging up the quality of Apec (which I haven't heard of before but sounds like its deliberately named to "sound" Oem like)

Now I'm glad that I have the parts and can supply to someone to fit, or do it myself if I choose

Oh and I've also got the rear exterior spring on order from the VW just down the road from me too, as I think this could be a source of some of my grinding issues rather than the brakes themselves

Yep, I've been to TMD's factory in Hartlepool a few times, changing their sock filters in the dust extraction system.