Autosocks in Snow

Deputy

Hi

Anyone used these on a Yeti?

Autosocks

I used them on a Ford Ka and they got me home across Yorkshire hills in last years snow (funny being followed by a Land Cruiser and a Range Rover when all they could see was my little Ka storming up the hill past stuck cars) and they were great. I'm hoping to just keep regular tyres this year (on my 4x4 Yeti) and have these for when the road is actually white and I need to stop when going downhill. £50 instead of £800 or so for winter tyes and wheels.

Anyone else tried them?

Hi

Anyone used these on a Yeti?

Autosocks

I used them on a Ford Ka and they got me home across Yorkshire hills in last years snow (funny being followed by a Land Cruiser and a Range Rover when all they could see was my little Ka storming up the hill past stuck cars) and they were great. I'm hoping to just keep regular tyres this year (on my 4x4 Yeti) and have these for when the road is actually white and I need to stop when going downhill. £50 instead of £800 or so for winter tyes and wheels.

Anyone else tried them?

nah, too much faffing about putting them on and then having to take them off when you see any tarmac. Last year some neighbours ahd them and they were OK for getting going and out of the deep stuff but then they had to take them off or they got trashed. Not sure where you get the £800 from I saw Nokian WRG2 tyres that would fit a yeti advertised for £74 each yesterday.

Pluys don't forget there's no wear and tear on your summer tyres while you have winters on (and of course the fact that winters are a lot better in the cold and wet even when there's no snow.

They are for emergency use only and can only be used when driving ON snow. The moment you hit tarmac they will be shred to bits... So only a short term solution.

I am quite surprised at the amount of tyre threads on this forum, don't get me wrong it is good information but in my experience in snow it always other cars that get stuck and block the road, so even if my Yeti had tracks I would still be stuck!

I have been to Wales recently with standard tyres Yeti was delivered on, the car was very capable on a range of surfaces on the standard tyres, I look forward to snow if we get any this year and I am sure if driven steady and with care I won't get stuck ;)

They are brilliant!

To get me too and from the main road - as the side roads around here remain uncleared for weeks these are perfect.

Last year even the main roads around here weren't cleared, so when we got stuck on a hill after everyone in front ground to a halt, I slipped these on, drove up the hill and got home - priceless.

Much cheaper than winter tyres, easier to store and they'll get you home.

My Wife drives the Yeti and I have a Mazda MX-5 (which simply doesn't work on snow), after fitting the Autosocks I sailed into work in the Mazda. They can be used on slush - up until you can start to see the white lines - up to 35/40mph without any problems.

After using winter tyres last years I would never go back and they're not just good for when you're stuck.

We were in Germany where it is the law to use winter tyres in winter and we were being left behind by all the other traffic on the roads... some winter rubber later and the difference was incredible.

We also had some snow chains with us for emergencies which we used a few times as we were in a skiing region so were, I think, mandatory to carry anyway.

I would say get some if you thought they were good as you never know when you might get stuck wishing you had got them!

But get some winter tyres on anyway. You might then find you don't need to bother with the socks at all.

Phil

They are brilliant!

To get me too and from the main road - as the side roads around here remain uncleared for weeks these are perfect.

Last year even the main roads around here weren't cleared, so when we got stuck on a hill after everyone in front ground to a halt, I slipped these on, drove up the hill and got home - priceless.

Much cheaper than winter tyres, easier to store and they'll get you home.

My Wife drives the Yeti and I have a Mazda MX-5 (which simply doesn't work on snow), after fitting the Autosocks I sailed into work in the Mazda. They can be used on slush - up until you can start to see the white lines - up to 35/40mph without any problems.

+1

I've used them at home and in the Alps. Yes, they will shred on Tarmac, but equally you wouldn't use chains on Tarmac.

But for those who haven't got or don't want winter tyres, they are fantastic emergency kit to have in the boot, they take up little Soave, have little weight and you keep your hands clean when putting them on or taking them off.

John

Thanks all - I really rated them on the Ka and good to hear they helped on the heavier Yeti too.

Getting some now for this winter (before they sell out!) and will see how I get on and if I really need winter tyres for next year.

Which video here

they seem to rate them but fiddly to get on and off and must not be used on tarmac

This may be a cheaper option

http://www.sprayontyrechain.co.uk/index.html

Cheers

Not so. They're no more than a couple of minutes to put on. and once moving they self centre. I've used them on a BMW 316, a Honda FRV, a Passat, a Roomster and the Yeti.

John

Snowsocks will get you going and onto a nearby cleared road. The spraysuff may get you going and might even get you to a nearby cleared road.

Unless you live somewhere Northern,Western or Eastern and away from the well gritted main routes you may be able to get along.

If you live somewhere hilly with at least a couple of weeks a year when snow stays and travel around Christmas to rural north eastern Norfolk winter tyres will be really useful.

I have managed for many years without 4 wheel drive, my Yeti is my first for 21 years, and have never been defeated by winter weather.

Last December I really got to the point where I felt close to not making it. A weekday evening on the A505 between Royston and Baldock on the way home to St Albans-which is only 22 miles north of London.

I reckon that the money I've spent on winter Contis and Seat fitment rims from a member here -less than a 50th of what my car cost me- would have been worth it on that occasion alone.

The fact that many are happy to run about with tyres not designed to work well below 7c is fine by me -so long as they don't get stuck in front of me or slide into me.

I have a Mazda MX-5 (which simply doesn't work on snow)

Three of my friends with the same car all tell me that it's brilliant on the snow and ice with decent winter tyres. One went to the trouble of measuring braking distances on polished compacted snow at -1C with his summer and winter tyres fitted.

He had previously said that he wasn't sure the winter tyres (Hankook W310) provided a significant improvement in braking distances and wished he'd held out for tyres that'd done better in independent testing, but after measuring he was suprised by how much improvement there was with winter tyres fitted.

His measurements showed that stopping from 30 mph on summer tyres (Goodyear Excellence with a decent amount of tread) took an average of 55.8m (6 test runs) but when he used the winter tyres the average was 26.3m (14 test runs).

Three of my friends with the same car all tell me that it's brilliant on the snow and ice with decent winter tyres. One went to the trouble of measuring braking distances on polished compacted snow at -1C with his summer and winter tyres fitted.

He had previously said that he wasn't sure the winter tyres (Hankook W310) provided a significant improvement in braking distances and wished he'd held out for tyres that'd done better in independent testing, but after measuring he was suprised by how much improvement there was with winter tyres fitted.

His measurements showed that stopping from 30 mph on summer tyres (Goodyear Excellence with a decent amount of tread) took an average of 55.8m (6 test runs) but when he used the winter tyres the average was 26.3m (14 test runs).

How nice -an opinion derived directly from evidence rather than anecdote. Of course it reinforces my untested opinion and is especially welcome.

I've driven on winter tyres a number of times, mainly in Canada and the Czech Republic, in temperatures as low as -16C, and they do indeed work very well.

But given the infrequency and nature of heavy snow fall in this part of the UK I struggle to justify spending £1,000 on a set of winter tyres and wheels for a car that I'll keep for 3 years - especially as the daytime temperatures rarely drop below freezing.

The Autosocks cost me £50, and so far have never left me stranded, in either my Mazda or my Wife's Yeti.

HKP,

you've dropped into the common trap of thinking that winter tyres are just for snow. Sorry, but if you read all the bumf there is about them you will find that they are designed to work better when temperatures are below 7 degrees. It's seems to be all to do with chemistry and rubber and things.

(And I still haven't bought any!!)

Oh, and some of have to work night shifts, or go to work at silly o'clock when on days! :'(

HKP,

you've dropped into the common trap of thinking that winter tyres are just for snow. Sorry, but if you read all the bumf there is about them you will find that they are designed to work better when temperatures are below 7 degrees. It's seems to be all to do with chemistry and rubber and things.

(And I still haven't bought any!!)

That is the crux of it. Summer rubber goes rock hard below 7 degrees and thus it is like driving with glass for wheels as the rubber is hard. Winter rubber on the other hand does not go hard below 7 degrees so rain, sun, snow or whatever they stay soft and thus grippy.

That is the crux of it. Summer rubber goes rock hard below 7 degrees and thus it is like driving with glass for wheels as the rubber is hard. Winter rubber on the other hand does not go hard below 7 degrees so rain, sun, snow or whatever they stay soft and thus grippy.

Hence why when night temperatures down here start getting around the 7 degrees, my winter tyres will be back on the car as originally supplied by Skoda (as supplied to them by me emoticon-0136-giggle.gif)