DPF and gear change indicator?

JCP

My 140 has done 9000 miles and between late July and mid August 2300 odd of them involved no traffic and long periods of 80ish mph cruising. It has since had it's service. In the last month it has been mostly short haul work with only one 250 mile weekend.

This evening it threw the orange engine light (+DPF message in maxidot)and I took a 20 mile motorway diversion-legal speed 4th gear around 3500 revs and the light duly (and quite soon) went off.

So far nothing spectacularly unusual I suspect (although it is my first diesel so I'm open to views)

What may be interesting is that for the last few days the gearchange indicator has been urging me to select a lower gear than the same very familiar pieces of road would ordinarily do. On the run back into town it had reverted to happily allowing 5th in the 30ish zone and light throttle cruising at just over 1000rpm.

I'm pretty sure that before the DPF warning the gear change indicator was telling me to up the revs over several journeys totaling less than 100 miles.

Is the ECU that clever? I think it may be.

Is the ECU that clever? I think it may be.

Yes it is, although if you think about it all that's happening is that the ECU is reading the 'soot' build up and asking you to rev it a bit more to try and clear it - actually more logical than clever.

ECU not clever enough to realise that changing up to 5th up a long hill not very smart at all. I do very little stop start and have never had orange light stuff but now and again I get home and the Yeti whirrs contentedly to itself for a few minutes. Is it DPF cleaning then ?

ECU not clever enough to realise that changing up to 5th up a long hill not very smart at all. I do very little stop start and have never had orange light stuff but now and again I get home and the Yeti whirrs contentedly to itself for a few minutes. Is it DPF cleaning then ?

Yes, a nasty smell with the fan on.

The ECU also learns more power and torque, so as the engine loosens up it will also learn that!

My CR140 DSG goes into 5th at just over 1000rpm around town all the time, until it gets to an incline.

I drive around South London all the time and so far not seen the orange light in 11,500 miles. But I do generally do between 30 & 60 miles a day at an average speed between 14mph & 17mph.

I drive around South London all the time and so far not seen the orange light in 11,500 miles. But I do generally do between 30 & 60 miles a day at an average speed between 14mph & 17mph.

You need to move! That mileage at that speed would drive me nuts. We may not have motorways up in the North East but at least I get to reach above 3rd gear. I can certainly understand why you would want the DSG version.

You need to move! That mileage at that speed would drive me nuts. We may not have motorways up in the North East but at least I get to reach above 3rd gear. I can certainly understand why you would want the DSG version.

I would love to move.....but in the economic climate I need to be where the work is, where my girls go to college and where the wife works....emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

We don't have motorways around here either....we have car parks.emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I do get into 4th quite a bit as it goes in at about 20mph....

When I plan my jourmneys for work around here it usually works out an average of about 1 mile per minute for the longer trips, or 1 mile for 2 minutes in very urban areas. Thank god I moved North nearly 30 years ago.

I have been back to London once or twice and find the traffic truly appalling. (I even worked as a delivery driver based just off the North Circular whilst a student many years ago, and it was pretty bad then, with most trips averaging 10 miles / hour at best, and that was knowing the back routes to get around the car park roads in the rush hour(s) which now seem to have joined up between the morning and evening ones.

I have been back to London once or twice and find the traffic truly appalling. (I even worked as a delivery driver based just off the North Circular whilst a student many years ago, and it was pretty bad then, with most trips averaging 10 miles / hour at best, and that was knowing the back routes to get around the car park roads in the rush hour(s) which now seem to have joined up between the morning and evening ones.

just to really put the nail in the London coffin for you all, I tend to visit London once a week and this week for two days in a row on the tube the person opposie me has been really hard at it picking their nose. This morning's experience was especially unpleasant as the guy involved started trying to flick it on to the floor and when that failed he repeatedly wiped his snot across the seat. :dull:

Note to self: must stand on the tube in future :S

Lunch anyone?

Yep. 10 miles in an hour is generally what I work to as well. Boring isn't it.....At least I'm in a Yeti......

Problem is there are too many people doing my job up norf, so I'll have to stay down here for a while longer.emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Swmbo is from up norf as well.

In over 10,000 miles of driving I've not once heard my Yeti with fans on when I stopped, smelled anything nor had the yellow light come on. I hope all is ok! Not had a long motorway blast in ages so hopefully next week's trip to the Frankfurt motor show will blow all the cobwebs out! :rofl:

South London for how fast will the ********** go......emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Ah.... Yes, I'll have to find an Autobahn somewhere won't I?! B) Go to the Netherlands after the motor show so should be able to meander somewhere with one of these!

My 140 has done 9000 miles and between late July and mid August 2300 odd of them involved no traffic and long periods of 80ish mph cruising. It has since had it's service. In the last month it has been mostly short haul work with only one 250 mile weekend.

This evening it threw the orange engine light (+DPF message in maxidot)and I took a 20 mile motorway diversion-legal speed 4th gear around 3500 revs and the light duly (and quite soon) went off.

The best way to drive to allow the DPF to do a 'regeneration' and clear the soot is 4th or 5th gear at a steady 1,800 - 2,000 rpm i.e. around 40 - 60 mph.

I got this info partly from the handbook and partly from an RAC man who came out to my Octavia vRS TDI when it had a DPF fault.

Needless to say that if you have a fault with your DPF your dealer should fix it under warranty.

The best way to drive to allow the DPF to do a 'regeneration' and clear the soot is 4th or 5th gear at a steady 1,800 - 2,000 rpm i.e. around 40 - 60 mph.

I got this info partly from the handbook and partly from an RAC man who came out to my Octavia vRS TDI when it had a DPF fault.

Needless to say that if you have a fault with your DPF your dealer should fix it under warranty.

I never read that bit... Interesting.

I have had the fan and smell scenario a couple of times in 8000miles but i was wondering why I had not had the yellow light of doom! :giggle:

Virtually all my driving is around town so I had been expecting it to come on but it would seem my natural driving style is just what the DPF needs to keep it in good order.

Happy days :)