iPhone mount in the SnowMonster

telecaster

Is there a way to mount the iPhone in a Yeti?

I would like to mount my iPhone in such a way that I can see the display for using the GPS.

I have had it just laying in the little box under the Columbus and connected via Bluetooth or

the iPod connector for charging, but it would be nice to be able to see the GPS, mostly to

see the actual speed now that I am changing to winter wheels.

I have not found a way to see the actual speed in the satnav?

We had temperatures below zero last night so the winterwheels will be on in a few days.

cheers

otto

There is no actual speed indication on the Columbus. seems silly, but so it is. I suppose it must have something to do with speedometer regulations, which insist that they always be a bit optimistic.

When I have needed to use another GPS - Garmin Nüvi - for driving outside the Western Europe maps, such as in Croatia, I found that it fits well in the cubbyhole under the A/C panel below the Columbus. I occasionally use it also to show actual speed - just to check various points on the speedomet, so I can get closer to the allowed velocity withoput incurring unnecessary costs.

I did a second search of the forum and found this thread which explains a lot

iPhone mounting

So my next question is:

What is the difference between the Columbus and the Amundsen set when it comes to installation?

The reason for asking is that the Brodit says on the ordering page:

Brodit ProClip for Skoda Yeti 2011 - Angled mount ONLY for Amundsen stereo

Will it fit my Yeti with Columbus?

854394-4.jpg

I have mine mounted on the brodit clip on the A pillar - brilliant as it is not obtrusive and can be seen at a glance rather than taking you eyes right off the road to look down toward the glove box. The phone can be turned either portrait or landscape which is ideal for GPS and of course it doesn't foul any air vents as some fixings do. In my case I've got it plugged into the fuse box so its charging whilst sitting in the cradle with no wires showing, so neat too!

I have mine mounted on the brodit clip on the A pillar - brilliant as it is not obtrusive and can be seen at a glance rather than taking you eyes right off the road to look down toward the glove box. The phone can be turned either portrait or landscape which is ideal for GPS and of course it doesn't foul any air vents as some fixings do. In my case I've got it plugged into the fuse box so its charging whilst sitting in the cradle with no wires showing, so neat too!

Thanks, do you use the Brodit mount?

cheers

otto

Thanks, do you use the Brodit mount?

cheers

otto

Indeed yes, Brodit mount and Brodit clip. Not the cheapest by any means but very good quality and very sturdy - the last thing you want if using a smartphone GPS is the screen vibrating or juddering, the Brodit mounts hold it rock solid. Cannot fault it.

Or even the Tom Tom car kit.

I have used Brodit mounts in the past. They are very good. To be honest, I have not bothered with a mount for my iPhone, as I also have the Columbus for satnav, and all the functions of the phone are also available through the Columbus & maxidot. I have a griffin iPhone charger if I need to charge the phone when in the car and just have it loose. As I don't speed, I never remember to use my speed camera database by pocketgpsworld either.

The columbus wil only show the speed for the road its it knows it.

As for travelling at the actual speed, the satnav is ONLY accurate if you are on a flat road travelling in a straight line at a constant speed. In other words, rarely, in the UK at least. This has been covered in great detail on pocketgpsworld.com many, many times.

Mike

Or even the Tom Tom car kit.

I have used Brodit mounts in the past. They are very good. To be honest, I have not bothered with a mount for my iPhone, as I also have the Columbus for satnav, and all the functions of the phone are also available through the Columbus & maxidot. I have a griffin iPhone charger if I need to charge the phone when in the car and just have it loose. As I don't speed, I never remember to use my speed camera database by pocketgpsworld either.

The columbus wil only show the speed for the road its it knows it.

As for travelling at the actual speed, the satnav is ONLY accurate if you are on a flat road travelling in a straight line at a constant speed. In other words, rarely, in the UK at least. This has been covered in great detail on pocketgpsworld.com many, many times.

Mike

Yea, you are right , and thats the way I normally connect my iPhone as well,

but as I am to embark on a new 5000 km journey to far nort of the Artic Circle in a few

days on new winter tyres I had this (maybe not so bright ) idea that I should use my

iPhone as a GPS along the Columbus installed in the Yeti. Then I could read my actual speed.

But after thinking about it for a few days I guess a new mount is just a waste of money.

:dull:

One advantage of the Brodit system is that you can update the phone/satnav holder without replacing the mounting on the car. In my case, I updated from a Nokia E71 to an E5 (the E5 is slightly wider) and had updated my car mount within two days - the new one was a direct replacement.

If it was not for the price, I would recommend a Brodit mounting every time.

Hi Otto emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Check this out ..........Installing a Sat-Nav in a Skoda Yeti

It might give you an idea or two...........Hope it helps.........Tony

Yeah, thanks I have already bookmarked the website a while ago, you have done a very good job, both in mounting and the best part:

a very good documention, a must see for every Yetiowner without factory navigation installed.

But since I already have the Columbus satnav I was looking for an easy way to mount the iPhone as addition, I am still in the

"wondering what to do" box, we´ll see.

Thanks anyway for the good work and the headsup!

cheers

otto