Mountain Bikers

Goaty

Being a keen (but not very good) mountain biker I was wondering if there are many like minded people on here interested in sorting out some social riding, location dependant naturally .....

It sounds a bit too strenuous for me Goaty but it may help if you gave people a clue to the location of your stairs cupboard? ;)

Cupboard.jpg

I was thinking just the same thing :giggle:

Mountain biking is good fun up around here, I do quite a bit in the Peak District, but it's not that convenient for Reading! Best thing is to see if there's a local club around (unless a torrent of Brisky MTB riders appear out of the woodwork in your stairs).

I was thinking just the same thing :giggle:

Mountain biking is good fun up around here, I do quite a bit in the Peak District, but it's not that convenient for Reading! Best thing is to see if there's a local club around (unless a torrent of Brisky MTB riders appear out of the woodwork in your stairs).

I'm well aware of the trails etc around Reading and have a good core group of fellow riders. I was simply asking if there were any fellow forum lurkers about that fancied coming along.....

Ever head up Swinley forest way? I go there fairly regularly, so would be up for joining you dependant on when you go?

I try and ride Swinley every Sunday with a few lads from work dependant on whose about and what's on.....

I love mountain biking - spoiled for choice up here, I have all the tracks in the Lakes, and the 7 Stanes trails all over south Scotland! I also have a carbon road bike I use for triathlons, but the off road stuff is my favourite! I even parted company with my Fabia vRS SE so my bikes could travel in comfort in my SEAT Altea - now THATS commitment to the sport lol!

I go up Cannock Chase not as much as i should. I just wish there was somewhere i could ride to from my house instead of having to load the car up everytime as this puts me off using my bike and i don't like riding on the road.

I go up Cannock Chase not as much as i should. I just wish there was somewhere i could ride to from my house instead of having to load the car up everytime as this puts me off using my bike and i don't like riding on the road.

Cannock chase is around 15 minutes from my house by car and it is good high class riding. Follow the dog is good then when it branches off to the monkey it's amazing! The monkey is a hard slog thou!

If you ever get chance to go to Llandegla it's amazing! The berms and stuff at Cannock are a bit too bumpy but llandegla is spot on!!!

Cannock chase is around 15 minutes from my house by car and it is good high class riding. Follow the dog is good then when it branches off to the monkey it's amazing! The monkey is a hard slog thou!

If you ever get chance to go to Llandegla it's amazing! The berms and stuff at Cannock are a bit too bumpy but llandegla is spot on!!!

will have to look that up on net. Chase is only about 15 20min for me but its just a faff loading into car or mounting the roof bars to go.

Done the monkey once and never again. It was awful. Walked most of it!

will have to look that up on net. Chase is only about 15 20min for me but its just a faff loading into car or mounting the roof bars to go.

Done the monkey once and never again. It was awful. Walked most of it!

The monkey is hard going and killed me the first time- very up and down but lots of technical bits as well. Llandegla is a must do! It's amazing!!! Coed-y-Bren en is good as well. (if that's how it's spelt).

What bikes do people ride? I have a specialized fsr xc pro 2010 with new wheels and lots of mods :p

The monkey is hard going and killed me the first time- very up and down but lots of technical bits as well. Llandegla is a must do! It's amazing!!! Coed-y-Bren en is good as well. (if that's how it's spelt).

What bikes do people ride? I have a specialized fsr xc pro 2010 with new wheels and lots of mods :p

Custom built Turner 5 Spot. Just bought some new forks (DT Swiss EXM 150's). Won't get them until next week.....

my current ride is a 2009 Giant Reign X1, bone stock apart from upgraded rotors and 2.5 maxxis minions for a more DH oriented ride, she also loves regular 20-30km xc rides!

i am lucky enough to live and work here....(click on trail map)

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/summer/bike%2Dpark/

009.jpg

010.jpg

mark

That's a beautiful giant. The front forks are monsters- what's the travel on them? I was lucky to buy mine second hand off a neighbour that brought it and rode it a handful of times! But for what I paid I really couldn't moan. It's definitely a good xc bike but I could do with something with a little more travel and take a bit more abuse. Maybe in a few years I can upgrade :)

Only a standard Giant Yukon disc 2009 for me :'(

Doe the job for me though :thumbup:

Thats a nice looking bike Mark. You really know how to make me jealous, not only do you live in my favourite part of the world but you also have all that riding on your door step :envy: , I'd love to take my Cube AMS125 somewhere like that for a few days of riding B)

Glad to see you back on here :thumbup:

Matthew

thanks matt, its been a while! life kinda got in the way a bit with moving over here from Calgary, all settled back down now :)

to answer the earlier question the forks are Fox 36 Van R with 162mm of travel, hoping to upgrade to the 180mm come spring....

Mark

thanks matt, its been a while! life kinda got in the way a bit with moving over here from Calgary, all settled back down now :)

to answer the earlier question the forks are Fox 36 Van R with 162mm of travel, hoping to upgrade to the 180mm come spring....

Mark

good lord, 180mm B) thats a serious amount of travel but then that scenery does look rather serious

the extra travel will be very welcome! the fork i am looking at (Fox Talas) is switchable between 180/140mm so still useful for XC stuff.

here's a taster of the stuff available on our mountain... the rider is a little more talented than i ;)

Edited by m17rkj