Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

Im in Cardiff most of the time but i wont be around this weekend and by the time i finish work its always bloody dark. If your doors can wait a week or 2 i'll give you a hand mate. Its not hard but you will need clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey NathanG, thank you, that's awesome. :thumbup: Yeah ... bloody dark evenings and bloody rain!

Here are the things. The car's taken on a persona of "Lake Fabia" so the project is in "do it now" status. I've obtained a water-proof cover which is a sort-of-okay temporary fix.  Also, as I said, I have no shelter to work under, so if it's raining, that's that scuppered. Not so easy to find a dry day on a weekend.

With those constraints ... if you do think you could help or advise, I'd be glad of it.

+1

Same situation here, hence why I have taped the bottoms of the windows as a bodge to reduce the water flow and will wait till next spring when things have started to dry up slightly, not likely in not-so-sunny Lancashire!

JRJG

What a soggy island! I can't understand how the Romans stuck it out for four centuries.

How well is the tape working? I'd love not to have to wrestle the unwieldy car cover, or at least, not worry when I'm out on errands (overnight cover-up isn't so bad).

Do you mean something like so:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Insulation-Tape-20m-Blue/p/155847

Hey NathanG, thank you, that's awesome. :thumbup: Yeah ... bloody dark evenings and bloody rain!

Here are the things. The car's taken on a persona of "Lake Fabia" so the project is in "do it now" status. I've obtained a water-proof cover which is a sort-of-okay temporary fix. Also, as I said, I have no shelter to work under, so if it's raining, that's that scuppered. Not so easy to find a dry day on a weekend.

With those constraints ... if you do think you could help or advise, I'd be glad of it.

I could meet you in Ikea carpark dude, its undercover hah. Another one of my fav places in Tesco in Newport lol. As far as a 'quick fix' goes is gaffa tape a black bag to ur door bins, a bit like a skirt for your door really, you can even tape it under ur door, just dont take all the way across the bottom.

How well is the tape working? I'd love not to have to wrestle the unwieldy car cover, or at least, not worry when I'm out on errands (overnight cover-up isn't so bad).

The tape is working a treat, just general insulation tape from any trade/domestic DIY shop.

Black ideally so it isn't seen as easily.

Be sure to warm it up in your pocket or under your arm pit for a few minutes to help the 'stickiness' of the tape, also make sure that the window and the seal itself is dry. And as long as you cover it from end to end you've got, near enough, a completely watertight seal.

JRJG

Don't know if it's of any help, but I have just completed a re-seal job on my 2007 SE, and have posted some tips on one of the recent posts below.  It's not difficult even for the non-mechanically minded and can be done this time of year no problems.

I could meet you in Ikea carpark dude, its undercover hah. Another one of my fav places in Tesco in Newport lol. As far as a 'quick fix' goes is gaffa tape a black bag to ur door bins, a bit like a skirt for your door really, you can even tape it under ur door, just dont take all the way across the bottom.

Ooh, bin bag skirting. There's an idea.

Ah yeh, Little Sweden, ha ha, there's another idea. Hmm ...

The tape is working a treat, just general insulation tape from any trade/domestic DIY shop.

Black ideally so it isn't seen as easily.

Be sure to warm it up in your pocket or under your arm pit for a few minutes to help the 'stickiness' of the tape, also make sure that the window and the seal itself is dry. And as long as you cover it from end to end you've got, near enough, a completely watertight seal.

JRJG

Thanks! "Lake Fabia" is blue, so given the option of a navy-ish shade (... ha ha, apt), I might go for that. But yeh, black would do all right too.

Hokay. I've read through all 24 pages here and taken 4 pages of notes.

Are these the clips I'm looking for? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190801191780

Only, that page says part number 6Y0867260 and not 5J0867276 and yells in a large font about making sure you're buying what you think you're buying. The Skoda Parts website doesn't recognize 6Y0867260. These clips are green and sort of look like the top of the Space Needle.

When I put 5J0867276 into eBay, it shows me different-looking clips (white, non-tiered flat tops) or much more expensive clips.

I understand the point of buying quality parts, but do I really need to pay 72p a clip? And if the answer is yes, then I'll definitely go via the Skoda Parts website and not eBay.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hokay. I've read through all 24 pages here and taken 4 pages of notes.

Are these the clips I'm looking for? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190801191780

Only, that page says part number 6Y0867260 and not 5J0867276 and yells in a large font about making sure you're buying what you think you're buying. The Skoda Parts website doesn't recognize 6Y0867260. These clips are green and sort of look like the top of the Space Needle.

When I put 5J0867276 into eBay, it shows me different-looking clips (white, non-tiered flat tops) or much more expensive clips.

I understand the point of buying quality parts, but do I really need to pay 72p a clip? And if the answer is yes, then I'll definitely go via the Skoda Parts website and not eBay.

Thanks!

Yes those clips are the correct ones. I bought the same ones off them, they are decent quality.

SS858940.jpg

• Like 1

Also what do people use to remove the door cards?.

I just pulled mine off with my hands (Ooh Matron!). Had all four of them off with no problems apart from clips breaking, which they nearly always do.

Don't know about the Plumbers Gold stuff as I used flexible roof and gutter sealant.

• Like 1

Ok cheers, will get some clips ordered. I assume this stopped the freezing on the inside of the glass and prevented it from steaming up?.

Mine wasn't bad - just seemed to get a bit more condensation on the windows than other cars. I found a slight leak at the bottom of one of the back doors. It had been previously sealed by someone else but the sealant had cracked. I don't get as much condensation now after I resealed it.

How long does it take for the plumbers gold to set in cold conditions?

I had to redo one of my rear doors the other day 2 years after originally sealing them.......the inner carrier flexes at the bottom when the door is slammed and it eventually caused a split in the original seal. 

I used plumbers gold (the same tube from 2 years ago....impressed it hadn't hardened!), and about a day later it rained hard and the door didn't leak. So I assume it had set......although it might not have....it still sets when wet anyway.

Edited by booke23

I just pulled mine off with my hands (Ooh Matron!).

*snort~ Pardon, tea went up my nose.

Brill pix of the space needle plugs -- ta v much!

• 2 weeks later...

You need to force it in all along the joint as much as possible, taking it up the sides about 1/3 and, importantly, into the screws or rivets. Then test before putting it back together. And make sure the drainage holes at the base are clear too.

Edited by DRJ

As a footnote to this you may get a slightly odd aroma from the silica.

Jury's out as to whether this works, as on one failed door (rear) I've simply laid out a plastic supermarket bag over the rubber seal, so the rainwater gets channelled away. Can't be ar**d to repeat the repair at the moment, will wait until spring  :sun: .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have just done this repair using the YouTube vid, used flexible gutter and roof sealant but just to top it off I've ordered waterproof flashing tape in 75mm wide to cover the sealant.

Going to just leave all the clips off as the window winder secured the door card well enough, especially as nobody uses the back seats anyway, just to give easy access for any future problems.

Have bought the new clips for later.