Fabia Estate or Roomster?

jdjm1971

First post here, although I've been a Skoda driver for the last 8 years! Currently have a 54 plate 1.4 Fabia Estate Elegance - lovely car but starting to show its age, so thinking of changing shortly for another Skoda. I have been looking at the Roomster as an alternative to the Fabia Estate, but can't decide whether it is a good option for a family (two adults and two junior-school-age children). Seen an ex-demo Roomster 1.4 3 or 1.9 TDi 3 at local dealership that look interesting. Any advice would be gratefully received.

We used to have a Roomy 3 1.9tdi as our main Family wagon,

Took it down to the South of France twice for a 2 week s/c hols, the girls had plenty of room in the back. we did 799 miles back in a day, 13hrs no problems.

One thing i will say is over the 18,000m we did it averaged 47mpg, you would possible get more out of a Fabia est due to it being a better shape.

Hi jdjm and welcome to the Forum.

I faced the same choice two years ago. I eventually decided on the Roomster because of its removable rear seats and greater load-carrying space. Other plus points were the availability of a huge glass sunroof, the amount of rear seat legroom - even with the rear seats in their fully forward position, and the Marmite love-it-or-hate-it looks of the car. One disadvantage of the adjustable rear seats is the gap that is left between the seat backs and the parcel shelf. There is a Heath Robinson type gap-filler available from Skoda for around £15 but I prefer to cover the contents of the boot with a black cloth.

First post here, although I've been a Skoda driver for the last 8 years! Currently have a 54 plate 1.4 Fabia Estate Elegance - lovely car but starting to show its age, so thinking of changing shortly for another Skoda. I have been looking at the Roomster as an alternative to the Fabia Estate, but can't decide whether it is a good option for a family (two adults and two junior-school-age children). Seen an ex-demo Roomster 1.4 3 or 1.9 TDi 3 at local dealership that look interesting. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi welcome, I'm a former owner of an Octavia '02 and a Fabia '06. At June of 2010 we wanted to change our Skodas for a new one. The question was which one? Fabia estate or Roomster? I liked Fabia more BUT rear passenger's area is more spacious in Roomster. It is also brighter, way far brighter, especially rear seats. Roomster was my wife's choice. But since all previous cars were my choice i let her choose. Well she was right. The car is ideal for a family with two little people back there.

To be honest I think Fabia estate is more beautiful but our humble Roomster is way far comfortable and practical. Both are brisk and share same cons and pros.

Edited by stratosg

More rear leg room and head room (roomster) vs more boot space (fabia estate)

roomster likely to be slower, less economical with the same engine

i would like a estate with vrs wheels fitted but i need the leg room for father in law getting on a bit

but the roomster is a great car very pleased with it pete

More rear leg room and head room (roomster) vs more boot space (fabia estate)

One of our "requirements" was that a car had to hold the wheelchair (folding) and other stuff for my wife, both would hold it but there was more room in the Roomie's boot than the Fabia when loaded and it was a more practical shape, plus you can slide the seats back and forward in the Roomie, or even take them out. The old Mk1 estate I had you could actually take out all the back seats, I understand thats not possible now, for the Roomster thats a big plus...

The only downside to the Roomie is that its less economical than the Fabia... If you don't drive fast and only drive at or below the limit on motorways then I'd say the Roomie is the better family car.

i would like a estate with vrs wheels fitted but i need the leg room for father in law getting on a bit

but the roomster is a great car very pleased with it pete

I faced the same dilemma when choosing the new car.

First, I wanted to buy a car with all the equipment I judged to be necessary or very useful. Talking about Fabia Estate and Roomster, they are both valuable and practical cars, but Fabia is cheaper at the same trim level.

The consumption level is similar, with a little advantage for Fabia. Well, if budget is the first matter, go for a well equipped Fabia Estate and you will not be disappointed.

The fact is that the roomster is a completely different kind of car. The front space is the same as in the Fabia, with a higher seating position. But in the back you have lots of space and flexibility. The rear doors are big and squared, making it easy to step in and out of the car. It is also easier to fit child seats and...operating them. Seats are on a higher level, another advantage for accessibility. Big room for legs, shoulders, headspace for tall people. It is an ideal car for carrying children and old people. Panoramic view from the big rear windows. A big inner volume also means good air circulation in every season. The three single seats give a unique flexibility. The boot is big and regular, with a squared and regular loading bay.

I tried the TSI model, then I read some comparative reviews where the roomster is found equivalent (or better than) to more recent and expensive MPVs.

Plus, I like its non-conventional looks (but form follows function, here). emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Actually, I had no doubts in paying some more and taking the roomster.

Ive had both, and driven Fabias with different engines. The Roomster has much better space in the back but most importantly, it drives way better than the Fabia Estate. It feels more planted and loading it up doesnt cause the back end to drop like the Fabia. No brainer, Roomster all the way!

Ive had both, and driven Fabias with different engines. The Roomster has much better space in the back but most importantly, it drives way better than the Fabia Estate. It feels more planted and loading it up doesnt cause the back end to drop like the Fabia. No brainer, Roomster all the way!

ive had two fab sports 3 pots engines now problems with them. but the roomster 1.2 tsi is even better car i think. i get a lot of people look at

it and say its a nice car and being black aswell suits it pete

does the roomster really drive way better than a fabia even on the same engine considering same front but slightly longer wheelbase, heavier back end and different rear suspension, whats te difference, less body roll?

The rear axle is actually wider than the front, that's what gives it that "squat" look and helps with cornering, it was done, I believe, to give more space in the back and it certainly works... I'd agree with the others that it does feel better handling-wise in standard trim than the Fabia... The one disadvantage is when taking corners tight you can clip the rear wheel on the kerb!!

I've owned a Fabia Estate (2008, 1.4 16v) for two years, and I've replaced it with a Roomster 1.2 TSI. I think that as a family car the Roomster is much better car, mainly due to the huge space in the back, the versatile seats and the large windows (exellent for kids). In additon, its handling is better and with the 1.2 TSI it is an excellent car to drive.

I have been looking into my "next car" and comparing the Fabia estate / Roomster / Yeti...........Yeti has the smallest internal fold down seat space and is the shortest back to front ...yet the biggest externally.........the Fabia estate has the longest internal load space..........but the Roomster has the flip/fold seats...great head room in the back, and the greatest rear leg room and easiest to get at rear seats....rear door opens very wide!!!........Roomster uses the Octavia rear axle which is why it is so wide at the back!!! B)

EDIT

THe reason for me knowing this is I went around to the dealership and measured the load lengths of all three....because I do x-country and telemark ski-ing....so need the load length! :giggle:

So what will I get to replace (as and when) my Fabia????.......Roomster Scout 1.2TSI......with a few extras! B)

Unless I had more money.....then a Yeti 1.8 4x4 Elegance!

Edited by fabdavrav

Oine thing few people know but actually made all the difference to us is that in the Roomster the top edge of the rear door (the opening, I mean, hopefully you understand) is actually nearly an inch higher form the ground in the Roomster compared to a Yeti! For us this inch was the difference between banging our heads and not banging our heads when putting the children in the childs' seats. Since the Yeti has a lot more ground clearance I guess it is obvuoius what this does to the interior space in comparison...

Another very good feature (for families with children) is the shape of the Roomster's rear doors. Since they are nearly square you don't need a very big gap to be able to open the doors and get the child in the rear seat in our out. This is a real benefit in crowded parking spaces.

Also being able to slide the two outer rear seats even if it's not very much, compared to the static centre seat, enables the car to accomodate three child seats across in the back and be properly placed on the seats and not touching the doors.

With fixed seats this isn't generally possible, because of the shaping of the 'wings' on the child seats. In the Roomster, the 'wings' on the outer two seats sit just behind that of the centre (I hope that makes sense anyway).

However I would say the top corner of the drivers door is a sharp point and an accident waiting to happen IMO, whilst stooping about buckling in children etc.

Edited by pearce_jj

Also being able to slide the two outer rear seats even if it's not very much, compared to the static centre seat, enables the car to accomodate three child seats across in the back and be properly placed on the seats and not touching the doors.
That's why the Roomster beat the Yeti for me, outer rear seats can be in front or behind centre seat but not in a Yeti.

The Roomster is definitely a car of two halves and the driving room and living room feel completely different, sometimes I wish I was sitting in the back to get the great view my passengers are afforded :)

i-5fprR8G-S.jpg

Thanks for all of your replies and advice. Off to see a 1.9 TDi Roomster Scout tomorrow [although would love to find a 1.2 (105) TSI on my budget] - just wonder though whether a diesel is a good option as we only do 6-7000 miles a year and if I'd miss the rear parking sensors that I have on my Fabia.

As its obviously a secondhand one (the 1.9 TDi) its all down to the price you can get either of them for... I'm getting around 54mpg from my 1.9 if thats any help... Check out the servicing costs, including cambelt change on the diesel... The 1.9 is pretty bomb proof, I've had a couple over the past 10 years doing over 120k and had no problems... Can't speak for the TSi...

The mileage isn't mega important, there's many more costs to running a car than just fuel costs and its only when you add up all of them that you'll find out which is best, for instance either will involve an annual service even with the low mileage... Also check out the cost of an after market warranty for when the Skoda one runs out...

Edited by The PM