'motor' noise upon opening drivers door but not other doors

fabia55

It's priming the fuel system ready to start.

Due to tight spaces i have had to get in from the passengers door before, and no problems startig the car or anything..i hope not..is it going to have an effect or damage....does it need to prime the whatever it does..

edit: so if i enter from passengers side, i should open the drivers door wait for the fuel pump to work, before starting engine?

Edited by fabia55

Due to tight spaces i have had to get in from the passengers door before, and no problems startig the car or anything..i hope not..is it going to have an effect or damage....does it need to prime the whatever it does..

edit: so if i enter from passengers side, i should open the drivers door wait for the fuel pump to work, before starting engine?

I doubt it. I assume that the ECU is smart enough that if the system isn't primed because the drivers door didn't open, it will prime when the ignition is switched on. It only takes a second anyway.

The Mk1 vRS made a kind of "splosh" noise every so often when the ignition was turned on, that was the fuel system priming too, I wondered what on earth it was for ages until I read it on here :)

Convenience really. After all, when you open the drivers door, nine times out of ten, you'll be getting in and starting the engine. No harm in the car preparing itself.

You won't be doing any damage at all, the worst that would happen is it wouldn't start straight away. Since you haven't had any issue with that, it's fine. :thumbup:

Convenience really. After all, when you open the drivers door, nine times out of ten, you'll be getting in and starting the engine. No harm in the car preparing itself.

You won't be doing any damage at all, the worst that would happen is it wouldn't start straight away. Since you haven't had any issue with that, it's fine. :thumbup:

thats good to know.

whenever i need to get something in the car i always try to open the passenger side so fuel pump dont need to be worked

Petrols do, diesels prime on ignition as you have to wait for glow plugs anyhow.

Something we have to bear in mind should we be working on the fuel system, has lines off before now and a service advisor opened the door to get something out of the car for the customer, one very unhappy petrol soaked techie.