Which Chef's carving knife- Wusthof? Victorinox?

blackielawless

I'm always in the kitchen and I am giving some serious consideration to purchasing my first decent cook's knife probably a Wusthof - anyone using one? This leads to my second question on how to correctly sharpen one, only Gordon's video has got absolutely slated on youtube, I know its not verbatim and take everything online with a very large pinch of salt but apart from the foul language geared at him, the vast population seem to be suggesting that he's 'truing' rather than sharpening- anyway, any advice much appreciated

Cheers

BL

I'm always in the kitchen and I am giving some serious consideration to purchasing my first decent cook's knife probably a Wusthof - anyone using one? This leads to my second question on how to correctly sharpen one, only Gordon's video has got absolutely slated on youtube, I know its not verbatim and take everything online with a very large pinch of salt but apart from the foul language geared at him, the vast population seem to be suggesting that he's 'truing' rather than sharpening- anyway, any advice much appreciated

Cheers

BL

The best knives I have used are Henckels, another German brand. They are so sharp you need to be very very careful with them. Wusthof's are also a great brand, but I only know from others views having necer used them. My day to day knives are Sabatier, which are perfect but need sharpening every 3-4 months with a whetstone. Whatever you decide to buy, buy quality and you know it will last a lifetime. Let us know what you decide.

The best knives I have used are Henckels, another German brand. They are so sharp you need to be very very careful with them. Wusthof's are also a great brand, but I only know from others views having necer used them. My day to day knives are Sabatier, which are perfect but need sharpening every 3-4 months with a whetstone. Whatever you decide to buy, buy quality and you know it will last a lifetime. Let us know what you decide.

Cheers Retsef, yeah I have been reading about the Henckels, they look great for the money. Do you need to sharpen them very much? :thumbup:

I use Wusthof classics, fantastic quality, hold an edge very well, only been on the stone once in 3 years of heavy domestic use, a quick flash on the steel keeps them great.

Henckels have gone downhill & become a little cheaper, not full tang construction anymore!

I use a decent steel regularly 20 degree angle, & a whetstone if I need to re hone the angle of the blade, I have a 1000/3000 grit double sided stone, works great.

This guy has more of an idea than Ramsey.

Not a chef, but I've two mates that are (and I'm not "too bad" in the kitchen)!

It's always a topical debate when they get together in the kitchen (especially if they've had a "glass or two")! One uses a mix of Wusthof & Global, the other Sabatier. Both swear by respective "brands" though my mate who uses Sabatier said he did get a "duff one" once, that discoloured when he cut a lemon with it! Aparently it was replaced and he's never had any issue since.

I have an ancient set of Victorinox, that a local butcher friend of mine gave me for a wedding present (over 25 years ago, :o ). He used nothing but Victorinox in his shop, and even if there are better out there, they do everything I'm capable of so could never justify changing them!!!!

But... I do notice that if I use a whetstone on them they loose there edge quicker than in I ask a place like Mortons to do it for me. So it's clear that that's a skill i've never picked up!!! Oh and they loose their edge if SWMBO or my son doesn't bother using the correct knife/chopping board combo :doh: !!!

As said, buy quality and you buy once!

Uncle bulgaria, you need a leather strop, even an old leather belt, to finish the blade, that way it'll hold it's edge longer.

Remember the old barbers, always had a leather strop for the cut throats!

Not a chef, but I've two mates that are (and I'm not "too bad" in the kitchen)!

It's always a topical debate when they get together in the kitchen (especially if they've had a "glass or two")! One uses a mix of Wusthof & Global, the other Sabatier. Both swear by respective "brands" though my mate who uses Sabatier said he did get a "duff one" once, that discoloured when he cut a lemon with it! Aparently it was replaced and he's never had any issue since.

I have an ancient set of Victorinox, that a local butcher friend of mine gave me for a wedding present (over 25 years ago, :o ). He used nothing but Victorinox in his shop, and even if there are better out there, they do everything I'm capable of so could never justify changing them!!!!

But... I do notice that if I use a whetstone on them they loose there edge quicker than in I ask a place like Mortons to do it for me. So it's clear that that's a skill i've never picked up!!! Oh and they loose their edge if SWMBO or my son doesn't bother using the correct knife/chopping board combo :doh: !!!

As said, buy quality and you buy once!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Wow, cheers all this has really helped, thanks

I was bought a Shun Extreme chef's knife by a relative who spent some time in Japan. It has a 'Tomato test' rating of 16cm and is extremely sharp.

Two days after getting it, I spend an evening in casualty after cutting the back of my hand. I didn't feel anything and was lucky not to cut the tendons.

When at college studying catering 15yrs ago I bought Gustav Emil Ern knives and these are still going strong today never having been near a whetstone.

I have treated myself to several Global knives over the last few years and both brands are kept sharp with a few flicks on a diamond edged steel as and when they feel they are losing their edge.

Check out Nisbets as an online supplier with next day delivery. They also have a trade shop (you don't have to be in the trade to buy) in Avonmouth which often has knives in their clearance section at great prices.

I was bought a Shun Extreme chef's knife by a relative who spent some time in Japan. It has a 'Tomato test' rating of 16cm and is extremely sharp.

Two days after getting it, I spend an evening in casualty after cutting the back of my hand. I didn't feel anything and was lucky not to cut the tendons.

:o :o :o :o I'm getting a chain mail glove!!! My uncle has recommended the Shun, god that is SERIOUSLY sharp!

Certainly plenty of food for thought there, I can't decide now ha! :doh:

I think they might be considered half a rung down for the top Chef stylee knives, but they are good value for money (imho) and are beautifully built (if you go for the top 2 ranges). Plus you support our dying steel industry. Lovely balance on the knives I have, although my Mum says they are too heavy for her.

I think they might be considered half a rung down for the top Chef stylee knives, but they are good value for money (imho) and are beautifully built (if you go for the top 2 ranges). Plus you support our dying steel industry. Lovely balance on the knives I have, although my Mum says they are too heavy for her.

Had to pop out to get more milk last night and bumped into a bloke I'd not seen in years. He's a chef I'd met through work, and he swears by Taylor's Eye Witness. Said exactly what you said about balance and feel :thumbup:

Global are my favourites :) If the price is too steep then youl get all the brands mentioned above in TK MAXX at a substantional saving :) Last time i looked they had a 8 pc sabatier set for 40 notes :)

K:)

I have a mix of knives, mainly Global and Henkels. A decent kitchen shop will let you get the knives out of their packaging and see how the feel in your hand. What good for one doesn't work for another.

I use a pull through ceramic sharpener which avoids the risk of me making a hash of doing OMG the "proper" way. When the Global knives are freshly sharpened there's nothing like them but they don't hold their edge well. I rarely have to sharpen the Henkels. Can't coment on recent changes in quality as I've had line for nearly 10 years.

Final point to consider would be the metal handles on the Global knives. Doesn't bother me but I know some people don't get on with using them if their hands are wet. Say preping large amounts of Veg.

Final point to consider would be the metal handles on the Global knives. Doesn't bother me but I know some people don't get on with using them if their hands are wet. Say preping large amounts of Veg.

Global are also dishwasher safe, whereas those with traditional riveted wooden handles are prone to shrinkage.

Global are also dishwasher safe, whereas those with traditional riveted wooden handles are prone to shrinkage.

True. But I'd never put decent knives in the dishwasher. The handle might be OK but it doesn't do the edge any good.

I use Wusthof classics, fantastic quality, hold an edge very well, only been on the stone once in 3 years of heavy domestic use, a quick flash on the steel keeps them great.

Henckels have gone downhill & become a little cheaper, not full tang construction anymore!

I use a decent steel regularly 20 degree angle, & a whetstone if I need to re hone the angle of the blade, I have a 1000/3000 grit double sided stone, works great.

This guy has more of an idea than Ramsey.

This guy is an expert, It seems very much contrary to Gordon's approach mind, surely though, Gordon would have to know how to sharpen a knife and they're hardly cheap, hmm. Appreciating all these posts, its certainly had a great response- I feel a recipe page!