1.2 TSi Loan car - Pleasantly surprised

My 2011 Octavia vRS is back at the dealers again (4th time in 2 months), for a persistent misfire problem.

I was given a Fabia 1.2TSi 105ps loan car (blue with white roof), didn't expect much to be honest as I've had many loan cars from dealers over the years and they tend to be pretty basic, low powered affairs.

However, from the moment I drove out of the dealers I knew this was different. What a nice car to drive! Very torquey, with a smooth power delivery. Don't get me wrong it's not a vRS by any stretch of the imagination, but just lovely to drive round town, in traffic, and through a few longer stretches I managed to get to.

I knew the 1.2TSi engine was a cracker, but having driven it 1st hand I can say its a peach.

So when the dealer phoned to say they needed to keep my car another day (still not fixed :( ) I wasn't that fussed, another day to zoom about in the Furby :thumbup:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2011 Octavia vRS is back at the dealers again (4th time in 2 months), for a persistent misfire problem.

I was given a Fabia 1.2TSi 105ps loan car (blue with white roof), didn't expect much to be honest as I've had many loan cars from dealers over the years and they tend to be pretty basic, low powered affairs.

However, from the moment I drove out of the dealers I knew this was different. What a nice car to drive! Very torquey, with a smooth power delivery. Don't get me wrong it's not a vRS by any stretch of the imagination, but just lovely to drive round town, in traffic, and through a few longer stretches I managed to get to.

I knew the 1.2TSi engine was a cracker, but having driven it 1st hand I can say its a peach.

So when the dealer phoned to say they needed to keep my car another day (still not fixed :( ) I wasn't that fussed, another day to zoom about in the Furby :thumbup:

Glad you like it, it is a great little engine and I have come from a Octavia vrs 170 cr and a VRS TFSI petrol and although it's a small engine it delivers a punch as you said it's not in the same league as a VRS it's still fun, although in my case with shockingly bad fuel cunsumption but that's another storey. I have been driving a 1.8 TSI Octavia in the last couple of days and so far that's my favourite engine so far, just superb.

Glad you like it, it is a great little engine and I have come from a Octavia vrs 170 cr and a VRS TFSI petrol and although it's a small engine it delivers a punch as you said it's not in the same league as a VRS but it's still fun, although in my case with shockingly bad fuel cunsumption but that's another storey. I have been driving a 1.8 TSI Octavia in the last couple of days and so far that's my favourite engine so far, just superb.

Edited by Vrs2

Glad you like it, it is a great little engine and I have come from a Octavia vrs 170 cr and a VRS TFSI petrol and although it's a small engine it delivers a punch as you said it's not in the same league as a VRS it's still fun, although in my case with shockingly bad fuel cunsumption but that's another storey. I have been driving a 1.8 TSI Octavia in the last couple of days and so far that's my favourite engine so far, just superb.

Not checked fuel yet (only had it a day), but would have thought 40-50 is quite easily achievable?

Not checked fuel yet (only had it a day), but would have thought 40-50 is quite easily achievable?

Yes it seems that the normal but in my case more like 39 to 41 mpg driving it like it's made of glass, but my engine is a Friday afternoon engine and under the careful eye of my dealer, but it still performs ok.

Edited by Vrs2

Still running in my Roomster (only 2,500 on the clock) with a 1.2, 105bhp and DSG box and just done a 2nd long run (Scotland to the South Coast). Managed to easily get over 450 miles from about 51 litres (11.22 gallons) of fuel, trip computer claiming between 43 and 45mpg, closer to 40 - 41mpg from the maths.

It is interesting when you get it to kick down on the motorway and it drops from 7th to 4th and the engine screams as it kicks from about 2.5k up to the redline :)

Still running in my Roomster (only 2,500 on the clock) with a 1.2, 105bhp and DSG box

Same for me; considering changing my diesel 500 for a TSi Fabia so I recently did a back-to-back test over a 20-mile round-trip driven consecutively,

• Skoda Roomster TSi DSG, 2,500 miles done - book 49.5mpg, achieved 48.4mpg per computer
  • Fiat 500 Multijet (manual), 40,000 miles done - book 67.3mpg, achieved 68.4mpg per computer

So on that basis 'book' mpg should be possible with the TSi/DSG combo I would have thought once it's got a few miles on it.

My wife has got a (red) 105 TSi DSG. It's such a hoot to drive that I use it every chance I get even though I've got a 2.0 140 BHP Yeti. Overall we get about 40 mpg, although I must admit we don't try for economy. If you want the 50+ that Skoda claim I think you have to drive at 50 mph on a motorway! I bought it for the fuel economy it doesn't have, but I love it for the performance I didn't expect. The combination of the TSi with the DSG is just brilliant.

If you want the 50+ that Skoda claim I think you have to drive at 50 mph on a motorway!

Nah, 50mpg can be had at a steady 70mph cruise. As long as it's not too windy. My motorway record has gone up to 53mpg :)

If I'm not trying for economy it will normally be between 40 and 44mpg, using more of its power. :D

Nah, 50mpg can be had at a steady 70mph cruise. As long as it's not too windy. My motorway record has gone up to 53mpg :)

If I'm not trying for economy it will normally be between 40 and 44mpg, using more of its power. :D

Even these figures goes to show that Skoda's official figure are total bull. The combined figure of 53mpg should be easy to achieve but also easy to better on a steady 70 mph cruise, I can only achieve 43mpg at 70 mph on a 25 mile run and even your 50mpg is not that good. For example both the loan cars I have had both bettered their combined cycle by around 8 mpg on the same 70 mph run.

For example the Octavia 1.6 MPI estate I had, has a combined cycle of only 39mpg and I achieved 46.4mpg on the 70 mph run some plus 7mpg and my current loan car an Octavia 1.8 TSI estate, now that's what I call a really superb engine has a combined cycle of 40.9mpg and it achieved a healthy 48.6mpg on the same run plus 8mpg. So even your figure of 50mpg is not that impressive as 60mpg should be more like it on that sort of run. The bottom line is in my opinion this engine is not as economical as skoda says even if you are luck to get a good one and I think people are kidding themselves about it really being good on fuel and the smaller the engine the worse they get.

Edited by Vrs2

On s aimilar note, my Octavia 2.0PD 140 DSG is in the dealers today for a DSG service.

I've been given a Fabia Greenline Diesel, 1.2TDI.

Now, up until this morning I have never driven a Greeline before, and if I am honest, I was a bit concerned about the engine size. However, as this thread has proved, it's not just about the cubic capacity.

The 1.2 Diesel engine I believe pushes 75bhp which is more than enough for the small Fabia.

Having now driven the Greenline (And I've had a Fabia vRS 180bhp) - it is obvious that the greenline is not going to break any records, but man I love the long gearing! Suits the 1.2TDI very well. I decided to not drive for economy too much (as I had to go to work this morning) and still managed near 60mpg.

I am very impressed. Impressed enough to think about having a Greenline in some form next, and then keeping the wifes car as the "toy". She last night was thinking about getting a Focus ST or something similar... handy when she only does 4K a year!

But yeah, was very impressed with the Greenline, though I did find stop/start *most* disconcerting - however you soon get used to it.

Even these figures goes to show that Skoda's official figure are total bull. The combined figure of 53mpg should be easy to achieve but also easy to better on a steady 70 mph cruise, I can only achieve 43mpg at 70 mph on a 25 mile run and even your 50mpg is not that good. For example both the loan cars I have had both bettered their combined cycle by around 8 mpg on the same 70 mph run.

It perhaps would do better... if there was no wind at all and the road was perfectly flat. Official testing is done in perfect conditions in a lab, not on the road. The official extra-urban for the TSI is in the 60's, there's no way anyone will get near that in the real world, so I take the combined figure as a real-world target that the car should achieve if driven economically.

If I cruised at 65mph, it would also have done better. The Fabia has the aerodynamics of a shed.

Skoda used to put the 1.6FSI into the Fabia, it had 105bhp and people usually got 38mpg from it and never very much more. The TSI has the same power and is more than 10mpg better off. It wasn't that long ago that you would need a diesel to get over 50mpg. I am more than happy with the economy and performance from this engine. :)

If I cruised at 65mph, it would also have done better. The Fabia has the aerodynamics of a shed.

The Yeti has the aerodynamics of a shed, the fabia is positively streamlined in comparison - perhaps a very small tool locker rather than a shed :giggle:

I had a Fabia tsi 105hp on loan for a while, it averaged 56mpg on a three day break around Norfolk, just pootling around. My brand new Polo with the same engine is returning 48mpg so far in everyday commuting use. It's a great little engine.

Edited by Beerbelly

I'm not sure about the aerodynamics being bad... considering the TSi achieved 64mpg extra-urban and the greenline 94mpg.

On a rolling road in a lab, yes. In the real world with wind resistance, no.

Octavias are much better aerodynamically than the Fabia. You can tell easily that they have less drag. On a wet day, you will need to use the rear wiper to keep the Fabias back window clear. That is due to the steep rear end and it causes drag.

In an Octy hatch, you don't need to use the rear wiper at all, much smoother airflow over the car and much less drag.

My Dad has an Octy estate with the 122bhp 1.4 TSI. When cruising it's economy can exceed 50mpg without much problem.

Got the Octy back, after its 2 day repair, Fixed?

Well it was OK for a few miles, but next day the gremlins return :(

Car has now been in the garage 5 times in 3 months for same problem, during which they have produced many diagnostic reports, replaced the MAF sensor & this time a new fuel pump, but still the problem persists.

Dealer now says they have run out of ideas and are referring it to Skoda Technical on Monday.

Can't fault the Dealer for effort, but it is getting a little frustrating now. Can't rev the engine past 2.5k without major misfires.

Maybe I should swap it for the Furby :rofl:

Even these figures goes to show that Skoda's official figure are total bull.

You will find on most newer models that are quoting very high figures that it's hard to get these results on the road. Manufacturers have learnt how to fool the Euro mpg tests, the engine maps and eco systems are designed specifically for the test.

My Passat 2.0CR DSG is a 18 months old now and doesn't have Bluemotion Tech. It has a extra urban figure of 56mpg and a combined of 47.9mpg. On my 60 mile a day commute I average around 48-50mpg. The newer model with all the eco tech added has a extra urban figure of 62.8mpg and a combined figure of 54.3mpg. I had the new model as a loan car and it did exactly the same to the gallon as mine. The manual version posts even more incredible figures, 70.6mpg extra urban and 61.4mpg combined, on the same trip I managed low 50's.

I think all the technology and engine mapping is designed to fool the Euro test, just about every car I've had has been able to beat the combined figure but the newer cars can't.

Our 2009 1.2HTP can match and beat it's 47.9mpg combined but the TSi has to be driven with kid gloves to get 50mpg when it's combined figure is 53mpg. At 75mph my Passat is nearly 10mpg better that the TSi even though it's supposed to have poorer fuel consumption. Probably because the speeds on the Euro tests are really low.

Cheers

Lee

There's some info on wikipedia about testing methods, for anyone interested. It's very apparent that stop-start is a technology specifically designed for test result improvements, since the test method includes quite long periods at rest.

Personally I usually get near book, one exception being Fiat's 500 twin-air, in which I was a good 20% under.

Manufacturers will of course do what it takes to do as well as possible in these test cycles, so all the results can tell you is that car A should be more economical than car B. They can't say "you will get 55mpg" because that depends totally on how the car is driven and what road conditions it is driven in.

That's why I'm happy if I can get the combined figure in the real world without needing to go to massive extremes like slipstreaming trucks and pumping my tyres up to 50psi.

I have achieved it in the Fabia fairly easily, so I'm happy :) I actually exceeded it in a Suzuki Swift Sport, which did surprise me! Never expected to be getting 43mpg from that car (official combined was 39mpg) when it cruised at 4000rpm at 70mph :o (that's not a typo)

Manufacturers will of course do what it takes to do as well as possible in these test cycles, so all the results can tell you is that car A should be more economical than car B. They can't say "you will get 55mpg" because that depends totally on how the car is driven and what road conditions it is driven in.

That's why I'm happy if I can get the combined figure in the real world without needing to go to massive extremes like slipstreaming trucks and pumping my tyres up to 50psi.

I have achieved it in the Fabia fairly easily, so I'm happy :) I actually exceeded it in a Suzuki Swift Sport, which did surprise me! Never expected to be getting 43mpg from that car (official combined was 39mpg) when it cruised at 4000rpm at 70mph :o (that's not a typo)

On a long run I can get up to about 50mpg in my 105 TSI, combined says 53.3 so i think thats very optimistic

Normal commute to work which is dual carraigeways for a bit and then a small city crawl to work of a few miles I get about 39-41mpg so the quoted urban figure of 41 is still far out when you consider 70% of my journey is in a traffic free zone.

I think manufacturers shouldn't be able to post such wild claims about MPG when most of the population will never see it.

I don't drive like a boy racer either, change up around 2000-2200 normally and never let the engine labour.

Edited by adamc260

On a long run I can get up to about 50mpg in my 105 TSI, combined says 53.3 so i think thats very optimistic

Normal commute to work which is dual carraigeways for a bit and then a small city crawl to work of a few miles I get about 39-41mpg so the quoted urban figure of 41 is still far out when you consider 70% of my journey is in a traffic free zone.

I think manufacturers shouldn't be able to post such wild claims about MPG when most of the population will never see it.

I don't drive like a boy racer either, change up around 2000-2200 normally and never let the engine labour.

Same as Adamc260 I can get 40 to 41 on the same sort of run, 95% dual carriageway then around 2 miles of town driving but have never seen 50 mpg no matter what speed I drive nor likely to, I have tried and tried and never got above 46mpg and that's around 60mph on a flat road.

I have always been able to better the combined figure on every car I have ever owned or been leant by some margin, but not this piece of Junk of on engine.

I think it's more achievable if you have a dsg gearbox as it has 7 gears so better at motorway speeds, and the next person that tells me that a car with a diesel engine with the same combined mpg as the 1.2 tsi will get more mpg because it's a diesel i might just kill.

I am sorry there shouldn't be rule for diesels and a different one for petrol, It is trade description if that is true and I am hearing from Seat dealers that that the 1.2 tsi is not very economical in the ibiza and they are getting a lot of complaints from there customers, so it seems it's not just me.

Edited by Vrs2

Same as Adamc260 I can get 40 to 41 on the same sort of run, 95% dual carriageway then around 2 miles of town driving but have never seen 50 mpg no matter what speed I drive nor likely to, I have tried and tried and never got above 46mpg and that's around 60mph on a flat road.

I have always been able to better the combined figure on every car I have ever owned or been leant by some margin, but not this piece of Junk of on engine.

I think it's more achievable if you have a dsg gearbox as it has 7 gears so better at motorway speeds, and the next person that tells me that a car with a diesel engine with the same combined mpg as the 1.2 tsi will get more mpg because it's a diesel i might just kill.

I am sorry there shouldn't be rule for diesels and a different one for petrol, It is trade description if that is true and I am hearing from Seat dealers that that the 1.2 tsi is not very economical in the ibiza and they are getting a lot of complaints from there customers, so it seems it's not just me.

40 mpg is.. so so nothing outstanding for an engine of this size. Did expect it to be a bit better on fuel but that's cars for you, manufactuers 'stretch' the true in whats possible i think.

Their claims varied massively before the standardized test was introduced, before that everyone used a different method and you couldn't do any meaningful comparison at all.

My commute of about 7 miles usually results in 41mpg, it's 6 miles of motorway and some sitting at traffic lights. Such short trips aren't economical.

I have done the 53mpg, I took the photo to prove it (trip of about 38 miles). It would have been better without the A/C running, and if I had dropped my speeds by 10mph I might have been close to 60mpg.

So my own experience tells me that the combined figure is not a "wild claim", it is perfectly achieveable by driving sensibly. Many people won't see it because they don't drive economically. They use the throttle as an on-off switch, rip down the motorway at 85mph, and then complain that the car isn't economical when that results in 38mpg. :rofl: