MFSW - FL, Non-DSG.....Again

OK, once again I find myself investigating getting a MFSW fitted to my 11 plate manual vRS.

In the past I've been put off by the fact that the MFSW comes with the DSG paddles - something I'd just have to get removed as they would annoy me being there!

A while back somebody posted a link thus:

http://www.skodateile.cz/index.php?pg=product∏=251&menu=%EF%BF%BDkoda|Octavia%20II%28A5%29%20facelift|Volanty

We appear to have here a MFSW, with radio and phone controls and importantly no DSG paddles.

Drawbacks - No vRS badge, but I'm assuming the one on my current steering wheel could be removed and transferred?

Also this has a smooth leather finish rather than the perforated leather that is standard on the vRS.

So question 1 - has anyone else purchased and fitted this particular steering wheel? Do you like it?

My airbag will transfer, so I would just need a new steering controller and the wiring loom on top of this?

To other manual owners looking to go MFSW - how did you go about it?

Live with the DSG paddles? Manually remove the DSG paddles?

Ta

Why not fit this one instead.....

http://www.skodateile.cz/index.php?pg=product∏=355&menu=%C5%A0koda%7COctavia%20II%28A5%29%20facelift

Looks like a VRS wheel, with no paddles, and has multifunction. Its the one I will be ordering for mine in a few weeks time.

Oh well found! :-)

I honest;y hadn't spotted that one when browsing the site.

That one looks perfect - think I'll look at getting it ordered.

Ta

I'd be interested to see how you get on with this mod. Not for my current car, but I may get this for my new one.. its just about the only thing i think is missing from the options list.

Its about 140 quid right?

Can you post up when/if you go ahead? Thanks.

I'd be interested to see how you get on with this mod. Not for my current car, but I may get this for my new one.. its just about the only thing i think is missing from the options list.

Its about 140 quid right?

Can you post up when/if you go ahead? Thanks.

+1

Just heard back.

£175 delivered.

I'm going to pop into the bank on Tuesday next week and make payment, so should have it soon afterwards.

I've none of the skills to actually fit the steering wheel, so once I physically have it I'll be speaking to Ben @ Shark and arranging to drive down and get it fitted.

So I can post some pictures of it once I've got it - but pictures of it fitted will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Totally irrelevant now but is the one in your first link leather?

I'll be honest - I was just assuming it was.

From the pictures it looked like smooth leather as opposed to the perforated in the later link.

Best bet would be to drop them an email - there are at last a couple of good English speakers who would be able to answer that one.

I'll be honest - I was just assuming it was.

From the pictures it looked like smooth leather as opposed to the perforated in the later link.

Best bet would be to drop them an email - there are at last a couple of good English speakers who would be able to answer that one.

Only curious mate, I don't want one and I would need the air bag as well anyway as I have a pre-FL.

Just heard back.

£175 delivered.

I'm going to pop into the bank on Tuesday next week and make payment, so should have it soon afterwards.

I've none of the skills to actually fit the steering wheel, so once I physically have it I'll be speaking to Ben @ Shark and arranging to drive down and get it fitted.

So I can post some pictures of it once I've got it - but pictures of it fitted will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Don't forget you'll need a control unit as well (see here). Ben at Shark should be able to supply one and do the recoding needed.

I'm definitely going to go and see Ben for the fitting side of things and he's quoted me on the controller and his time - so hopefully be popping to see him within the next couple of weeks.

I saw ben a few weeks ago regarding fitting a mfsw with paddle on a 2011 octavia and he hasnt got back to me yet. As he is having problem sorting out which control i need for my car

Mine is a 2011 manual and he quoted my £125+vat for the controller - so I'm assuming he knows which once I need.

Saying that, it was a month or so back, so I really should drop him another line.

Ben fitted my Flappy paddle MFSW from an octy vRS to my Yeti.

My biggest problem was when I told my insurance company, they promptly cancelled my insurance.

I eventually persuaded them to reinstate it, but I had to get it checked by a Skoda dealer that it was all fitted properly. And then email them a letter from the dealer saying that all was fine and dandy. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I purchased smooth leather one and transfered badge over. Personally I much prefer the smooth leather to the perforated. Had it fitted by Ben at Shark.

Sarge.

OK, once again I find myself investigating getting a MFSW fitted to my 11 plate manual vRS.

In the past I've been put off by the fact that the MFSW comes with the DSG paddles - something I'd just have to get removed as they would annoy me being there!

A while back somebody posted a link thus:

http://www.skodateile.cz/index.php?pg=product∏=251&menu=%EF%BF%BDkoda|Octavia%20II%28A5%29%20facelift|Volanty

We appear to have here a MFSW, with radio and phone controls and importantly no DSG paddles.

Drawbacks - No vRS badge, but I'm assuming the one on my current steering wheel could be removed and transferred?

Also this has a smooth leather finish rather than the perforated leather that is standard on the vRS.

So question 1 - has anyone else purchased and fitted this particular steering wheel? Do you like it?

My airbag will transfer, so I would just need a new steering controller and the wiring loom on top of this?

Ta

Got smooth leather one as well. Superb SW. For handling perforated a bit better , but at first hate to clean perforated leather, and at second at time when I order in wasn't one available :)

Do not forget to order loom as well.

If you have proper high end controller swap took 10 minutes. I had midrange so I swap controller to CH as well , and this took a bit longer. But be aware , if you need to swap controller , check also your snail converter as well , there are few modifications of SW + snail + controller on the market. I have 2009 FL 1.9 Ambiente and snail was compatible.

20111018182112.jpg

Edited by Shahoff

Ta

I removed the flappy paddles and blanked them off with some home made blanks :thumbup:

DSC01300.jpg

Sorry to bump my own thread up again.

I have my MFSW on order and should receive it sometime next week.

I obviously need to replace the steering controller and was going to ask Ben @ Shark to supply the new controller whilst he was fitting the MFSW for me.

However on a recent EBay search I found the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK5-STEERING-WHEEL-CONTROL-MODULE-1K0953549AQ-MFSW-HIGHLINE-/330643151094?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfbde18f6

I don't suppose anyone knows if this controller would work in my Octy vRS for use with my new MFSW (Radio and Phone controls).

Ta

I don't suppose anyone knows if this controller would work in my Octy vRS for use with my new MFSW (Radio and Phone controls).

Ta

Do you have a scan of your current steering wheel controller? (or the part number of the controller)

This will help us to determine if the eBay one will be suitable or not.

It wont confirm it no.

BUT a MK6 (2009 onwards) Golf MFSW uses LIN version 2.0 (MK5 Golf MFSW uses Lin 1.3) so I would expect that controller to be too old? but cannot confirm this without a scan.

You could however pop the steering column shroud off to get the part number.

That sounds scary :-)

I might just be better off then asking Ben to supply the latest version of Highline Steering Controller as that will definitely do the job.

It seems better spending a fair amount of money on the latest version that wasting £40 on this one which "might/might not" do the job.