Conti Sport Contact 5

Sorry guys, it's another tyre thread! I can't see any duplicate topics so have started a new post......

Basically my VRS will be requiring a new set of rear boots very soon and I will probably replace all 4. I currently have Kumho KU31's fitted which were absolutely fine until about 1,000 miles ago when they started droning really loudly. The wheel alignment is spot-on and there is no saw-toothing and the tyres are evenly worn (and wheel bearings all good). The garage put it down to an 'aggressive' tread pattern and the fact that they are directional and nearly worn out - circa 2.5 to 3.0mm on rears.

I thought about Vredestien Ultrac Cento's as these are supposed to be very quiet, but they are directional so I have gone off these now.

So I had settled on spending a little bit more on some Conti Sport Contact 3's, but noticed that there is now a Sport Contact 5. So does anyone have any opinions on these? My priority is getting a non-directional quiet and comfortable tyre, I am happy to sacrifice a bit of grip and/or longevity for something that gives my ears a rest !

And finally where's best to buy the CSC 5's. Camskill around £115 ea plus postage and fitting. Micheledever tyres around £130 ea fully fitted - anyone any better ideas ?

Keeping with tradition of getting summer tires in winter and vice versa, I put some Conti SP5 a couple of weeks ago on my Europe trip (found them cheap in Slovenia at about 120 quid fitted). Size 225/50 17Y 98 XL FR.

Much quieter then OEM Dunlop SP01, somehow softer ride too, very good in wet and great grip on B roads and obviously superb on autobahn @140+.

Also they have the reinforced outer wall (XL is the term) and some 5mm protection outside the rim so protecting alloys.

They have good reviews too, and a few vids on youtube tests.

Drove 4000 miles in 2 weeks and recommend them.

post-51727-0-22763400-1321395524_thumb.jpg

I have the SC3's and was thinking of the 5's as my next, but due to all the very positive reviews will be switching to the Goodyear Eagle Assym 2's. Still waiting for an update from Rob_e on his.

Sorry Noba - I didin't fit them in the end.. i just eeked out my CS3's for another few months and i've now gone on to a set of winters on my OE rims.

The Assym2's beat CS3's in the test I read (autoexpress i think? can't remember, its on my blog) but they didn't have CS5's available at that time IIRC.

I'll have these winters on 'til march I think, then look again at summer tyres - most likely it'll be Assym2's but I'll keep an eye out for any back-to-back tests with the new CS5.

What I would suggest is to look for non-directional tyres. Your trouble is that Fabia has straight beam in a back and without massive amount of money you cant change setting on it. If your tyres are wearing OK and you only get then louder because of sawtoothing then at certain stage of their live you need to rotate then side to side to even them out. You cant do that with directional tyres thats why if you want to deal with this properly - GET NON-DIRECTINAL tyres. Trick is to do it at right point of their "life" - when tyres are non-damaged to far in that shape. If you swap them side to side (just rear) you make their pattern going opposite way and you get them even.

Dont buy directional tyres!!! ;)B)

I put CS5s on the front on my VRs estate about 3000 miles ago. So far so good. In all honesty I'm not sure if I can tell much difference between these and the CS3, but I thought they where pretty good anyway.

Oh... and most place only have the Mercedes fittment version (which is what I fitted). After talking to the Conti technical department it turns out they are the same. The marking is just there so that the stupid Merc owners feel special and can work out which tyres they need.

I have the SC3's and was thinking of the 5's as my next, but due to all the very positive reviews will be switching to the Goodyear Eagle Assym 2's. Still waiting for an update from Rob_e on his.

I had the Goodyears fitted on the front about 3 weeks ago and so far am very impressed with them. Good grip in both wet and dry conditions and braking performance is better than the Pirelli's I had on before.

Too soon to know what the tyre life is like as I've only put a couple of thousand miles on them but if they last a fair few miles then I will be buying them again.