Towing Eye

I recently had the unfortunate task of calling out a car transporter to transport my Ocy to a garage after my wife inadvertently filled up with petrol instead of diesel :(

The problem I had was removing the grill section to install the towing eye to winch onto the transporter.

As I attempted to follow the removal description given in the owners manual, the obstinate section of grill started to crack.

At this point I gave up on the grill section removal and the transporter driver 'hooked' on at some other point.

Bottom line --- any suggestions as to how the grill section is removed.

2010 Octavia 1600Tdi Est ---------------Diesel

PS the wife said sorry -------------Grrrrrrrrr :love:

When I did try the sharp pull as specified in the manual, one of the fins did actually break where it met the upright section. This was the point where I stopped. Fortunately it has sprung back so the break is not visible

When I did try the sharp pull as specified in the manual, one of the fins did actually break where it met the upright section. This was the point where I stopped. Fortunately it has sprung back so the break is not visible

Drill the section out which leads to the tow hook connection point. A 15mm holesaw would be about the right size.

Get your wife to do it, when she fooks it up, send her to specsavers to check for colour blindness. B)

I'm hoping to see the answer on this one too buddy. I don't want to pull to hard, as it seems fixed at the top. I will have a good go at the weekend and see myself.

I tried to find the answer to this myself last weekend, but was met with a comment I wouldn't of expected on such a helpful site like this.

Maybe it's siezed and I need to spray something on first. Will let you know if I have any luck :thumbup:

They are a crap design utter rubbish!!

I removed mine and snapped it the dealer had them on the shelf as they are cheap and broken easily! Who ever designed that cover on both sides should be shot!

I very rarely break anything but I didn't even use full strength while trying to remove it!

But as already said they are only a few quid to replace!

BIG Nick :)

Not fit for purpose imnsho.

Tried November last year in the snow, failed totally to remove the pull out panel, felt I was going to pull the valance? or plastic bumper off in its entirety, never mind shred my bare fingers, still had difficulty in removing when at home with light heat & tools.

A proper :swear::thumbdown: of an arrangment.

Edited by dieseldogg

The Vrs ones are clip in clip off, hook your finger around the plastic barb from lower middle grill , and pull towards center of car, use a powerful torch to see, exactly what you are looking at, once you have done it once you know how to pop out easily

http://briskoda.net/...today__st__1220 post 1229 :thumbup:

When you click on the picture it makes it too large but if you reduce screen resolution, better, anyway the side panels overlap the center section

On my Octavia estate, I had to queeze the grille together, using both hands and then twist it out and towards the centre of the car.

It isnt very easy, but give it a go and it should be easier next time

Got stuck in field once. Tried for ages to get the cover off for the farmer. Failed. He said "I've got one of these, I'll do it" and tried. Failed. Just a rubbish design.

It is just a question of knowing where to squeeze, if you ever want me to take yours off, give me a pm