What is the point of 18 inch wheels ?

Mog-Puss

• 5 months later...

You'll change your opinion once you compare your fuel bills after and prior to the installation of the new wheels, and especially when you've ruined a wheel + tire in a pothole.

But I must confirm: the 18" wheels look better.

Just gone from my 16" winters to 18" summers, and the mpg is down by about 2mpg.

The 18s do look a lot better - but then I had black steels for my winter rims so anything would look better.

You'll change your opinion once you compare your fuel bills after and prior to the installation of the new wheels, and especially when you've ruined a wheel + tire in a pothole.

But I must confirm: the 18" wheels look better.

A family members A4 had to have 3 of it's 18's repaired. Pothole damage maybe, no-one is owning up to bending them. But the tyres survived fine.

I may be tempted to swap my Superb 17's for some standard Superb 18's if any one is desperate....5,000 miles from new and looked after....would need to be close so we could meet up for the change over though

• 4 months later...

There is only one notable advantage of 18" wheels over 17's or 16's.

*They look better.

The disadvantages are:-

*Larger rims cost more.

*Tyres cost more.

*Harsher ride. The suspension has to soak up much more of the pot holes and bumps.

*They kerb much easier.

My personal opinion is that 17's are the best compromise between looks, cost and ride.

You forget the fuel consumption: The 205 wide 16" wheels are much more economical. I don't know about the difference in fuel consumption between the 17 and the 18" wheels (which share the same tire width).

I am on my third Superb Elegance with 18" wheels. Live in Cornwall with about the worst roads in the U.K. Potholes can be  feet wide and several inches deep. To date despite hitting many I have suffered no damagerd wheels or tyres. Perhaps having the common sense to drive at normal speed i.e. as fast as the road will allow legally makes a difference. AS to comfort must be many very sensitive backsides on here,  I now suffer from very serious spine trouble, drive all over the country on all types of road long and short distance  and suffer no back problems, so the tyres must be o.k.

As stated above on this page it is time to stop this thread, or it will go on forever and ever amen.