Remapping the 1.8TSI?

I know this has been discussed before, but I am on the point of committing to a remap (at chippedire.com in Dublin) of my new 1.8TSI Octavia estate 152PS SE+. I am hesitating due to big insurance quote for this mod! Joe at this very reputable business thinks a gain of 50hp is probably achievable (though needs to see the engine first). My reason for seeking this remap is the frustration of having little power below 2500-3000 rpm. This engine is less nippy at low revs than was my previous 1.2TSI! Greater power, yes, and much better pull from 3000, but annoying when trying to get away fast from a stand-still.

Can anyone who has remapped this engine in either of its variants (152 or 160PS) kindly comment and tell me the following .. "Is it worth it?"

Why do you have 152PS? Mine is 160 stock, thought about 167 for real, with remap you should get about 200-210 and much more torque, well worth it.

Same engine, different software, rated at 152PS, as in the SE+. Don't know why a different version - perhaps for potentially better fuel economy.

Had a Revo remap on my 160PS. It is definitely worth it, instead of waiting until 3000+ rpm for the engine to start to pull, it spools up at just over 2k and keeps going all the way round the rev counter. Much much better for overtaking! According to Revo's figures it should be around 220PS, haven't had it measured to see.

I found Admiral were good on the insurance as well - the premium actually dropped compared to last year with someone else, I guess we'll see whether they try to sting me on the renewal.

My Shark map is excellent. Pulls effortlessly from 2k upwards. Producing around 200hp and 250lb/ft. The extra torque is brilliant and makes driving a doddle. Going from 3rd to 6th is quite normal for me when when I'm not pushing it. Very flexible.

I was a bit mystified at the opinions here that the 1.8 TSi doesn't start pulling till 3000 rpm. So today I tried some variations and mine still does seem to go like a rocket from 2K rpm through all the intermediate gears, and with no particular effort on my part!

It is a regular UK spec. 1.8 TSi.

• 3 months later...

mmmm, so 2 conflicting opinions here

One says it does not really get going until 3000 revs

another says it seems to go like a rocket from 2000 revs

confusing as im considering buying one : )

mmmm, so 2 conflicting opinions here

One says it does not really get going until 3000 revs

another says it seems to go like a rocket from 2000 revs

confusing as im considering buying one : )

I suspect differing opinions on what "goes like a rocket" actually means... ;)

The 1.8 TSI is certainly not as nippy as the 1.2 TSI. Just got one as a courtesy car so can confirm that.

Thinking about the differing opinions about when the power comes in. I am wondering if it's to do with the (presumably) mapping change that came in with the face lift.

I notice that the CO2 and MPG figures changed then so possibly the new mapping is slower in getting to peak power.

Simon

The 1.8 TSI is certainly not as nippy as the 1.2 TSI. Just got one as a courtesy car so can confirm that.

Thinking about the differing opinions about when the power comes in. I am wondering if it's to do with the (presumably) mapping change that came in with the face lift.

I notice that the CO2 and MPG figures changed then so possibly the new mapping is slower in getting to peak power.

Simon

interesting, I find it strange that the 1.8 TSI is not as nippy as the 1.2 TSI

one would expect the 1.8 TSI to be alot nippier

I note from other posts on this general website, people who said that the 1.8 TSI had a good pull owned both 2008 and 2010 models( pre face lift and face lift models )

Edited by obi604

Anyone know how much additional power output a standard clutch on a 1.8tsi 6 speed manual octy 2 take ?

Should it be good enough for a stage 1 revo map ?

Compare the 0-62mph figures quoted in the Octavia brochure and you will see that ALL of the 1.8TSI variants accelerate faster than the 1.2TSI variants. The maximim torque for both engine sizes is developed between 1500 and 4000rpm while maximum power for the 1.8TSI is developed between 4500 and 6200rpm for the 1.2TSI it is at 5000rpm.

The 160PS 1.8TSI CDAA engine has been fitted to the Octavia since 11/08 - so it is the same engine in pre and post FL Octavias. The same engine has been in the Superb since 09/08 and in the Yeti since 05/09.

Compare the 0-62mph figures quoted in the Octavia brochure and you will see that ALL of the 1.8TSI variants accelerate faster than the 1.2TSI variants.

The maximim torque for both engine sizes is developed between 1500 and 4000rpm while maximum power for the 1.8TSI is developed between 4500 and 6200rpm for the 1.2TSI it is at 5000rpm.

Right, so are you saying that the 1.2 is NOT as nippy as the 1.8...............thats what I would have thought anyways so was surprised to see the comment from SBirch

I mean the 1.2 has 103 BHP and torque of 129 lb/ft

The 1.8 has 160 BHP and torque of 184 lb/ft

Both cars are the same size, weight and design etc

So its kinda obvious that the 1.8 will be nippier

The 160PS 1.8TSI CDAA engine has been fitted to the Octavia since 11/08 - so it is the same engine in pre and post FL Octavias. The same engine has been in the Superb since 09/08 and in the Yeti since 05/09.

Thanks for the info Denis.

Edited by obi604

Anyone know how much additional power output a standard clutch on a 1.8tsi 6 speed manual octy 2 take ?

Should it be good enough for a stage 1 revo map ?

I believe that it has the same clutch and pressure plate as the 2.0TSI - which is good news for tuning if confirmed.

• Like 1

Ya it should be similar if nothing else .... Because a RS makes 200ps from stock whereas about the same figure is claimed with maped 1.8tsi s...(no matter which map u choose) ...

Just to add I wouldn't be surprised if the 1.8tsi would perform better as if I'm not wrong the torque varies by quite bait in the 1.8's favor.

I believe that it has the same clutch and pressure plate as the 2.0TSI - which is good news for tuning if confirmed.

That good news !!!! :)

one would expect the 1.8 TSI to be alot nippier

I note from other posts on this general website, people who said that the 1.8 TSI had a good pull owned both 2008 and 2010 models( pre face lift and face lift models )

Sorry I should have said, it's the gearing. The first and 2nd gears are shorter so you get on the boost (and revs) quicker. It just seams more responsive. When you're in the higher gears and look for the mid range punch.... then you realize it's not a 1.8.

Actually I quite like it, makes the 1.8 TSI appear slightly lazy low down. I drove them back to back and own a 1.8TSI so I am sure I didn't imagine it.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...