Trunk Grille

Paalsalvesen

Hi there!.

Has anyone any experience with the trunk grille ( part no DMM 630 001). We have a dog and need the dog to stay in the boot, instead of jumping over the seats all the time. We have received an offer from the dealer, and they say it demands special tools to be mounted at the dealer. The part itself is not that expensive, but the mounting of the grille costs the same as the part alone (around 180 pounds). Have any of you mounted this yourselves? Is it difficult?

Paal

Just buy a removable dog cage?

Much cheaper and can easily be removed for hotel stays etc.

Welcome too!

Thanks Robin!

We used to have a dog cage, but got rid of it. It is to cumbersome to take in and out all the time, and takes up a lot of space. A new one (in aluminum) costs around the same, actually. And the grill also prohibits baggage from shifting when car is packed for a holiday. Got of the phone with the dealer just now, her says that four new holes need to be drilled, and the same amounts of nut/bolts to be inserted with a special tool. So we might have to bite the dust and go for it. Or have anyone any other suggestions, or experience?

Thanks

paal

Dog cage all the way for us. Used to just have a dog guard, when we had our Boxer, but decided that we would like to use some of the boot to use ourselves, now that we have a 7 month old Springer, Dog is much better in the Cage than loose. Safer for her also.

Dog cage all the way for us. Used to just have a dog guard, when we had our Boxer, but decided that we would like to use some of the boot to use ourselves, now that we have a 7 month old Springer, Dog is much better in the Cage than loose. Safer for her also.

We have a dog box , (like a large re-inforced plastic cat box ), for our Springer.

We just have to slide one rear seat forwards and fold down the centre seat back.

The dog loves it and the Box just lifts in and out for use inside.

Have a look at this one:

http://www.travall.c...uct/339/TDG1248

tdg1248fitted05.jpg

tdg1248fitted04.jpg

When I was looking these came out tops for price AND the fact that you can take them out without the need for the dealer to fit things (permanently) to your car.

But I don't have a dog - it is to stop luggage flying forwards. There are also threads on here with people reporting how chewable dogs find the pull down handle of the hatchback door! It just begs to be chewed. So that is another reason for getting a dog box and not just a dog guard.

Nice. But how odd that, if you also purchase the "pet pack", the two together should be cheaper to buy than just the guard. Or is it me... ?

Gosh did not notice that! And cheaper by a whole 31p as well! That is just weird.

I've got the original Skoda dog guard. The advantage over the aftermarket one illustrated is that you don't have those legs taking up space, and you don't have to wedge it in. Has to be dealer fitted (holes to drill etc) but I didn't pay anything like what you're being quoted ... about £35/40 on top of the price of the guard from memory. Really pleased with it (had it for 10 months now).

Hi there!.

Has anyone any experience with the trunk grille ( part no DMM 630 001). We have a dog and need the dog to stay in the boot, instead of jumping over the seats all the time. We have received an offer from the dealer, and they say it demands special tools to be mounted at the dealer. The part itself is not that expensive, but the mounting of the grille costs the same as the part alone (around 180 pounds). Have any of you mounted this yourselves? Is it difficult?

Paal

Just a thought, and depending on the size of your dog, why not just put his/her lead on and secure the 'loose end' to somewhere in the boot so he can move around but not have enough to jump over the rear seats. :yes:

And welcome to the forum also. emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

I have the origional skoda dog guard fitted. It was not a straight forward job for the dealer as a lot of trim items had to be removed, accurate measurements taken and threaded rivits fitted. The entire job took around 3 to four hours with two people working on it. Granted it was the first time the particular dealer had fitted one of these. Given the choice I would opt for it as a factory fitted option. Having said that, it is a good piece of kit, just keep in mind that there is a nack to fitting and removing the rear parcel shelf when the guard is in place.

Just a thought, and depending on the size of your dog, why not just put his/her lead on and secure the 'loose end' to somewhere in the boot so he can move around but not have enough to jump over the rear seats. :yes:

I would not be keen on this solution as if you had to stop suddenly or even cornering could cause a neck injury to the dog. We use a chest harness that clips into the seat belt on my wifes car, that way the risk of injury to our goldie and ourselves is reduced. Wouldn't fancy 40kg of Golden Retriever colliding with me at speed. Interestingly he won't settle behind the trunk grill of my Yeti but will quite happily settle when strapped in on the back seat.

Hi all,

Thanks for some really good advice here. I am inclined to go for the after market solution from Skoda, which seems a tad more solid than the version from Travall. I think. Or am I wrong Johann? It seems to be more "loose" only fitted with those tiny "legs" there. Is it firmly in place, or does it rattle or shift a bit during travel?

I might try to negotiate a better deal from my dealer, however it is easier to understand the price now from what Photoemt says about the process of fitting the thing.

Thanks again for welcoming me, nice forum this. :)

Paal

I installed "Trunk grille" myself. This one:

Trunk grille

Part number: DMM630001

- fitted behind back seats close behind head rests

- protects from unwanted luggage shift from boot

- enables 100% boot usage

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10001&productId=1100000000245489&langId=-1

First I bought this:

img0396te.jpg

Than, according manual I need original tool MTX 9-193/A which I fabricated like this :

img0402g.jpg

Here is pictures from manual to understand which kind of job this is:

img0397g.jpg

img0398ys.jpg

img0399m.jpg

img0400ny.jpg

img0401uu.jpg

In the manual you can see place for drilling the hole for holding bolts.

Finaly, installed it looks like this and take 10 seconds to remove:

img0393mw.jpg

img0394j.jpg

img0391u.jpg

I found it very useful, when I need bigger boot space in Yeti.

Edited by Vuk
  • Like 1

Hi,

when I got my Yeti I ordered it with the OEM luggage restraint / dog guard fitted. As a restraint it is indeed a great bit of kit, very robust, I however wanted to transport dogs in the back of the car and found that it compromised useable space in the top half of the boot as it slanted rearwards. Having a need for two seats only I was able to "lose" the rear three and had a couple of full length guards with escape doors fabricated using the existing restraint fittings at roof and mid level and the seat mounts at floor level. One fits further to the rear and allows me to fit the rear seats if I ever needed them, the other gives max space in the boot whilst still allowing a spare wheel to be carried. This makes for a Very rigid fixing and works really well. I also had a tail gate made for peace of mind. Attached (I hope!) are some pictures for clarification.post-227-0-18254600-1322337919_thumb.jpg post-227-0-97846600-1322337930_thumb.jpg post-227-0-28180200-1322337937_thumb.jpg post-227-0-09295500-1322337947_thumb.jpg post-227-0-41865900-1322337954_thumb.jpg post-227-0-79439200-1322337967_thumb.jpg post-227-0-83432400-1322337974_thumb.jpg post-227-0-95918400-1322337980_thumb.jpg post-227-0-79439200-1322337967_thumb.jpg post-227-0-83432400-1322337974_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-43765500-1322337991_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-21832000-1322338000_thumb.jpg

Hi there!.

Paal

Hi, well weve had our Yeti now for a month and we had same problem as we have a giant schnauzer. as you say the cost nearly brought me out in a big sweeat. So we bought an ordinary dog gaurd, got a friend who had a bending machine and bent the lower supports ( the ones that touch boot floor) Then where the dog gaurd touches the centre seat head rest, I just fastened it with tie wraps to the metal pins that go in top of seat. Its saved me a lot of money and works great.

regards