octavia will not start

Hi all,

I am new to forums, I have joined this one as I try to do as much of the work needed on my car myself and am stuck!!

My octavia 1.9tdi will not start, all lights are good on the dash but when you turn the key nothing at all happens. This first happened a couple of weeks ago but then it started a couple of hours later. Now it hasn't started for 2 days. I'm guessing its the immobiliser so I have tried resetting the keys butr no joy. The immobiliser light comes on on the dash but goes out with the others when the ignition is turned on

Any ideas???

Hi all,

I am new to forums, I have joined this one as I try to do as much of the work needed on my car myself and am stuck!!

My octavia 1.9tdi will not start, all lights are good on the dash but when you turn the key nothing at all happens. This first happened a couple of weeks ago but then it started a couple of hours later. Now it hasn't started for 2 days. I'm guessing its the immobiliser so I have tried resetting the keys butr no joy. The immobiliser light comes on on the dash but goes out with the others when the ignition is turned on

Any ideas???

don't think the immobiliser will inhibit the starter check at the starter for a voltage when key is turned or rig a live lead to starter solenoid to check it, will then be the starter or ignition switch or break in the wire --go on from there -best of luck

don't think the immobiliser will inhibit the starter check at the starter for a voltage when key is turned or rig a live lead to starter solenoid to check it, will then be the starter or ignition switch or break in the wire --go on from there -best of luck

Thanks for replying Chesire cat,

When the car wouldnt start 2 weeks ago there was a voltage at the starter and it wouldn't bump start either. I haven't checked this time as my mate isn't about with his voltmeter but its acting exactly ther same as before and it just suddenly started again and has started everytime since for 2 weeks until 2 days ago. Really annoying!

Thanks for replying Chesire cat,

When the car wouldnt start 2 weeks ago there was a voltage at the starter and it wouldn't bump start either. I haven't checked this time as my mate isn't about with his voltmeter but its acting exactly ther same as before and it just suddenly started again and has started everytime since for 2 weeks until 2 days ago. Really annoying!

was the voltage at the solenoid (thin lead) does the pump (in tank) run at key on? if not it could be the main relay (used to be 109) which feeds ecu and sensors eg crank and cam ie: engine turn feed fuel etc

Does it let you crank the engine or just not let you do that at all?

No fuses are fine Mike,

I have ruled out the 109 relay chesire cat as when it done the same a coupke of weeks back I took the relay out and was still messing about with the car when a while later instead of absolutely nothing when the key was turned it attempted to turn the engine, I then realised that I hadn't put the relay back in so put it in and the car started fine. Therefor the problem went when the relay wasn't even in. However I cant hear a fuel pump when turning the key, but would that not be isolated by the immobiliser, which I think is the problem? I haven't had the chance to have another look at it for a couple of days now and am away for the weekend but will get back onto it on Monday. Need to get it sorted next week or it'll have to be towed to a main dealer and cost me a fortune!!

cheezemonkhai - No the engine does not crank, absolutely nothing happens when the key is turned apart from the noise of relays switching over.

• 2 weeks later...

No fuses are fine Mike,

I have ruled out the 109 relay chesire cat as when it done the same a coupke of weeks back I took the relay out and was still messing about with the car when a while later instead of absolutely nothing when the key was turned it attempted to turn the engine, I then realised that I hadn't put the relay back in so put it in and the car started fine. Therefor the problem went when the relay wasn't even in. However I cant hear a fuel pump when turning the key, but would that not be isolated by the immobiliser, which I think is the problem? I haven't had the chance to have another look at it for a couple of days now and am away for the weekend but will get back onto it on Monday. Need to get it sorted next week or it'll have to be towed to a main dealer and cost me a fortune!!

cheezemonkhai - No the engine does not crank, absolutely nothing happens when the key is turned apart from the noise of relays switching over.

update on the starting problem,

Figured out last week that if I hold the key in the start position for long enough (20secs or so of nothing) it suddenly kicks in and starts. Since then it starts first time every time!! I'm thinking sticky solinoid on the starter or relay. Anyone got any other ideas as I'm sure the problem will return pretty soon

cheers

Edited by chris dury

Chris,

Had the same problem with my car. Its an earth problem in and around your ignition barrel, and air bag chip board thing. Its more then likley if you push up under the steering wheel, it will start and run, but i took mine to the stealers, and said the problems under there, they stripped it, pushed something back in, and it was fine. Sorry to be brief, but thats all it is. Fairly simple once they have plugged it into there computers. If you wanna know anythin else about it, pm me.

Chris,

Had the same problem with my car. Its an earth problem in and around your ignition barrel, and air bag chip board thing. Its more then likley if you push up under the steering wheel, it will start and run, but i took mine to the stealers, and said the problems under there, they stripped it, pushed something back in, and it was fine. Sorry to be brief, but thats all it is. Fairly simple once they have plugged it into there computers. If you wanna know anythin else about it, pm me.

Cheers Dan,

I'll remember that if it happens again, which I'm sure it will. May need to pm you on it at that point 2, thanks

I hopefully have closure on this problem. After another week of starting first time every time, the same not starting problem returned in the gym car park. This time as I was not outside the house I rang the AA and when he arrived with a bit of know how and the right kit he worked out that there was infact an increase in voltage at the starter connection when the key was turned showing that everything from the ignition barrell to the starter was working and therefor it must be the starter. After a snatch start I got it home and fitted a £100 reconditioned starter!!!

This has worked fine since, first time start everytime although I've been here before so hopefully fingers crossed it will be fine now and not happen again.

Thanks for all your input guys

I hopefully have closure on this problem. After another week of starting first time every time, the same not starting problem returned in the gym car park. This time as I was not outside the house I rang the AA and when he arrived with a bit of know how and the right kit he worked out that there was infact an increase in voltage at the starter connection when the key was turned showing that everything from the ignition barrell to the starter was working and therefor it must be the starter. After a snatch start I got it home and fitted a £100 reconditioned starter!!!

This has worked fine since, first time start everytime although I've been here before so hopefully fingers crossed it will be fine now and not happen again.

Thanks for all your input guys

Chris thanks for the feedback glad you got sorted--there are far too many people on these sights who scream for help then dissapear when they get sorted --feedback helps us all to help each other, (rant over) cheers Nic

i have a 274k mile W reg octavia which has decided not to start, it drove fine when i parked it up, now it just turns over and doesnt seem to be firing. Any ideas where to start looking? i was going to check for fuel at the injectors when i get some time and daylight

If I were you I'd try for advice in the mk1 forum as people there will know your car better.

Anyway I'd try a jump start first just to make sure the battery isn't a bit weak then maybe scan for fault codes, see if anythings been logged.

• 3 years later...

Although this is an old thread, I am replying in case anyone is still reading it: 

I had the same problem, ie. my car wouldn't start except in 2 random occasions over a period of 1 week. It turned out to be 2 relays located under a panel on the right side of the steering wheel. Cost: 30 euros for the relays,  90 euros for labour.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...