Columbus Navigation system

V8 works fine in skoda Columbus.

Hi Keith,

You will see from another post I have made today that I now have version 7.2 loaded into my Columbus which allows me to see POI's which have been downloaded onto the DVD by SKODA.

My problem still is that I cannot obtain access to "My Points of Interest" as the box is greyed out and cannot be changed.

You mention that V8 works in the SKODA Columbus but does this also include the ability to download your own POI's such as speed cameras ?

Your help would be appreciated.

Regards

SD Card POI works for me on mine with V8 maps.

Where are you located? I think this is either a firmware issue (unlikely as the option is showing) or your putting the POI on the SD Card wrong.

I'll dig out the PDF tutorial I've got somewhere for poi inspector. If you follow that you should be working fine.

SD Card POI works for me on mine with V8 maps.

Where are you located? I think this is either a firmware issue (unlikely as the option is showing) or your putting the POI on the SD Card wrong.

I'll dig out the PDF tutorial I've got somewhere for poi inspector. If you follow that you should be working fine.

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my message.

I have the POInspector PDF tutorial as I used it to download onto my SD card.

My problem is with Columbus as when I look at my screen the page which shows "My Personal POI's" is greyed out so will not allow me to go to the next page which is the input stage from the SD card.

One of my issues when downloading the data from GPSPocketWorld to POInspector is that the only icons available to use were yellow in colour with the heading General. I think I must have missed something to allow me to have the different icons in red for the individual types of cameras. Do you know the answer ?

Regards

Yes you need to alter the size of the Icon.

They have to be 34x39 or they don't allow you to add them.

The reason the option is greyed out is probably due to the way you have it loaded on the SD Card or haven't built the .DB3 file correctly

• 1 month later...

Hi guys and gals. Read this with relish and downloaded the latest 5.7 poinspect0r file from the website, but either there's a file missing or I'm doing something wrong, it won't run on my XP Pro laptop. Can someone tell me how many files there should be and which is the executable to run it?

Cheers :thumbup:

Hi guys and gals. Read this with relish and downloaded the latest 5.7 poinspect0r file from the website, but either there's a file missing or I'm doing something wrong, it won't run on my XP Pro laptop. Can someone tell me how many files there should be and which is the executable to run it?

Cheers :thumbup:

Hi,

I downloaded the same after my dealer finally managed to get hold of V7.2 maps (took over a month - car delivered 29th December with V6.0 map) at the weekend and when extracted to a folder on the desktop I have 15 files. RNS510poi.exe is the executable to run. You will get the usual warning regarding Unknown Publisher but runs fine on my XP Pro laptop.

Regards,

Kevin.

My problem still is that I cannot obtain access to "My Points of Interest" as the box is greyed out and cannot be changed.

I seem to remember someone recommending that you put one mp3 (music) file on the SD Card root directory so that it's read, then the POIs should be visible.

Ray

Hi,

I downloaded the same after my dealer finally managed to get hold of V7.2 maps (took over a month - car delivered 29th December with V6.0 map) at the weekend and when extracted to a folder on the desktop I have 15 files. RNS510poi.exe is the executable to run. You will get the usual warning regarding Unknown Publisher but runs fine on my XP Pro laptop.

Regards,

Kevin.

Cheers Kev, just downloaded again and this time the RNS510.exe is included. :) Time to play.

My problem is with Columbus as when I look at my screen the page which shows "My Personal POI's" is greyed out so will not allow me to go to the next page which is the input stage from the SD card.

Regards

Hi there. I'm experimenting too. I followed the instructions in the guide, and I used the db to sd card selection in the |Tools of Poinspect0r and then when I got to the greyed out POI menu, I inserted my SD Card at that point. Read it straight away and menu became active. I'm only using a 512Mb card at present.

I would also be interested in finding where the red icons came from?

PP

Hi there. I'm experimenting too. I followed the instructions in the guide, and I used the db to sd card selection in the |Tools of Poinspect0r and then when I got to the greyed out POI menu, I inserted my SD Card at that point. Read it straight away and menu became active. I'm only using a 512Mb card at present.

I would also be interested in finding where the red icons came from?

PP

Hi PistonPete,

Inserting my SD card at the same point as you state does nothing for me.

It so happens that I am taking my car back to the dealer on Monday for this matter to be sorted so I'll update with good or bad news in a couple of days.

Hi PistonPete,

Inserting my SD card at the same point as you state does nothing for me.

It so happens that I am taking my car back to the dealer on Monday for this matter to be sorted so I'll update with good or bad news in a couple of days.

Hi sussexvet,

The first time I tried to load my own database the menu was greyed out and refused to change. Eventually I got it to work because I had used a file name with less than 9 characters. I found this info on the blog.

I have a database that works which is a test, made up of 30 mph speed cameras and TGI Fridays locations. I would be happy to send you the file for you to test if it's any help? PM me if you want to give it try. I wouldn't bet on the dealer being overly interested in this as they find it hard to keep up to date with map releases :wonder:

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi sussexvet,

The first time I tried to load my own database the menu was greyed out and refused to change. Eventually I got it to work because I had used a file name with less than 9 characters. I found this info on the blog.

I have a database that works which is a test, made up of 30 mph speed cameras and TGI Fridays locations. I would be happy to send you the file for you to test if it's any help? PM me if you want to give it try. I wouldn't bet on the dealer being overly interested in this as they find it hard to keep up to date with map releases :wonder:

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi sussexvet,

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin, Thanks for your message. It would be helpful to try your test so can you tell me how I send a PM as I cannot find any links for this process.

Ragards,

Allan

Hi Guys,

I took delivery of my Superb Hatch about 1 month ago and it didn't come with a DVD so I contacted the dealer. According to them the DVD has to be ordered so they duly ordered one for me and it came at the beginning of this week. It is Version 7 - Europe West - A2C53430633. The label on the package says Receipt Date 01/FEB/2012. I haven't had time to try it in the car yet but have I not been sent the latest version? I too want to add POI's and Speed Cameras from my TomTom subscription.

Kind Regards,

Mike

... so can you tell me how I send a PM as I cannot find any links for this process.

Click on the name of the recipient at the left of the post. When you get to their page, click on "Send me a Message," send it, job done. Look for replies at the top left, alongside your name when logged in.

Ray

Click on the name of the recipient at the left of the post. When you get to their page, click on "Send me a Message," send it, job done. Look for replies at the top left, alongside your name when logged in.

Ray

Ray,

Thanks for the lesson which is obviously quite easy once you know.

Allan

I can not make this work, holding setup button for 5 seconds takes me into the radio service mode and then with just two buttons on screen, 'AM' and 'FM'. Pressing say FM then gives me the signal strength for the tuned station.

Can anybody give a further pointer in how to get the 'Version Info'

if its not displayed then yours has no hdd and is therefore the early version and not the latest.

Hi sussexvet,

Regards,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

Success with the test file provided.

The reason I have been having a problem is that I had only copied the file to the SD Card WITHOUT unzipping the file first so obviously there was no data to download.

Now I'll go back to PocketGPSWorld and download the latest full database for all cameras.

You may be able to help with one other issue I encountered when downloading into POInspector and that is that I couldn't find the red icons to show on my Columbus for the various speed limits. I had to settle for a single gold coloured icon which will obviously not be too easy to see when glancing at the screen.Is this an easy fix to advise ?

I apreciate your help in this matter which I think will avoid the need for me to return the car back to my dealer.

Regards,

Allan

Hi Kevin,

Success with the test file provided.

You may be able to help with one other issue I encountered when downloading into POInspector and that is that I couldn't find the red icons to show on my Columbus for the various speed limits. I had to settle for a single gold coloured icon which will obviously not be too easy to see when glancing at the screen.Is this an easy fix to advise ?

I apreciate your help in this matter which I think will avoid the need for me to return the car back to my dealer.

Regards,

Allan

Hi Allan,

Good to hear your up and running with the test database.

The icons in the test file were downloaded from the POInspector blogspot

The downloads can be found on the right hand side listed as Personal POI custom icons in the download section. There's a very good selection of icons for speed cameras and lots more beside.

The icons can then be used within POInspector. Click the Tools button and then select icons. This will allow you to add icons. You can only add one at a time unless you unlock the program by making a donation. Once you have added the icons you need you can then change the icons for each item by right clicking and selecting edit category.

Regards,

Kevin

• Like 1

Right. Got my POI's from TomTom into my SatNav. I love my new car, but cannot believe the lack of any "useful" information in the Columbus manual. I've also been concerned about the many (even in the small area I've driven in so far) roads unsuitable for traffic, and no through roads it has tried to send me down :sweat:

This isn't Skoda's fault per se, but they need to get to grips with their map supplier.

Good job I'm not a complete Muppet and blindly follow it, like I did with my old Garmin once. Luckily I was in a 4WD at the time, but this group of travellers were really surprised to see me appear out of a hedge in the middle of their camp on the South Coast :giggle: