Tailgate Catch pops open

ecr

Hi

Firstly, I don't use this forum much (the cars too reliable :rofl: )is there a search facility ?

Assuming no, as it says in the title, my tailgate keeps popping open. I've recently had a new rear wiper motor fitted and I can hear a loose screw rolling inside the tailgate when I shut it. The car is:

Skoda Octavia TDI 4X4 Estate

1896cc (1.9)

First Reg 14.06.2006 (an 06 plate)

Is the catch adjustable and if so how (A step by step guide would be very helpful)

Thanks in anticipation

The search facility at the very bottom of the page is the one to use. Using the top one to search for tailgate catch gives just one hit, ie this thread. Using the botton one produces 59 hits!

Right, I’ve had a look and for others reference here’s what I found.

First, the rattling screw turned out to be a spring clip which the garage displaced when fitting the new wiper motor.

I removed the tailgate plastic cover by first undoing the torx screw holding the rubber handle used for pulling the boot closed then levering off the trim. It’s just held on with spring clips but makes quite a worrying noise when you pull it off. Check that you have recovered all the spring clips at this stage. The boot lock is held on by 3 torx screws (which can be a bit tight). Remove these and carefully manoeuvre the lock from the tailgate as it has a wire still attached. Unplug the wire and the lock is now free.

The other half of the lock is fitted behind a cover on the lower part of the frame (just above the bumper). This is covered by a plastic panel. Loosen the 3 plastic nuts visible in the spare wheel well and lever upwards to remove (spring clips again) This gives access to the 2 splined head bolts holding it to the car. Loosening these bolts allows the part to slide for adjustment.

I found that my lock mechanism was u/s and as it is a riveted assembly there‘s not much that you can easily do to fix it. A new unit is the answer I think.

Part Number:1Z5 827 501C I believe

Thanks for the search pointers .....

Edited by ecr

The search facility at the very bottom of the page is the one to use. Using the top one to search for tailgate catch gives just one hit, ie this thread. Using the botton one produces 59 hits!

Never noticed that search before.

Don't usually scroll down that far :giggle:

mmmm, now there are to threads here that have me thinking! This one and the rear wiper aint working!

I currently have no working rear wiper or boot release and the car has hardly moved in 6 months and was working up until recently so im thinking that there could well be an earth issue as been refitting interior panels and door cards etc. The rear demister and number plate lights work fine and so will keep digging on this one and hopefully find out if these issues are related which it seems they are.