Do I or don't I

Granpaj

I feel I have backed myself into a corner. I want to change my Octavia for another, but then made the horrendous mistake of trying a Yeti. Unfortunately it does fit the garage, and it seemed little different to drive than my current 1.8 DSG Octavia, (other than being slower). Do I go the sensible route and have something with a large boot and save money; or do I buy something different and spend more of the kids inheritance? It would mean dropping to a 1.4, but I am not sure that would bother me.

I should say that I'm retired and I am reckon that friends will look and say something along the lines of "look at that sad old git trying to look younger than he is".

Looking on the Skoda CZ site it is apparent that they have a wider choice of colours, including contrasting roof option. I guess that would increase delivery times by another few weeks.

Edited by Granpaj

One of the reasons we first bought on was the ability to get it in the garage. The Octy was too long.

Once we'd had it for a short time we couldn't believe how good it was for the price.

If you don't need a big boot, why not? :D

Although I don't find the boot that small, you just pack and stack. It's got a square rear end so you can get quite a bit in if you're going away for a week or so.

PS. Asking this question on the Yeti forum... BIG mistake. :rofl:

Go for the Yeti. It doesn't matter what other people think. The Octavia will be more of the same the Yeti will be a whole new discovery............ :)

I went from 1.8DSG Octavia estate L&K model - brand new, only a few months old - to a 170 Yeti. No regrets and in my case no loss of whoomph. Much better fuel consumption and a super vehicle. I'm also retired and don't consider the Yeti as having a young person tag. I do miss the DSG but made a conscious decision to go manual with Yeti (mainly fuel consumption)

One of the reasons we first bought on was the ability to get it in the garage. The Octy was too long.

Once we'd had it for a short time we couldn't believe how good it was for the price.

If you don't need a big boot, why not? :D

Although I don't find the boot that small, you just pack and stack. It's got a square rear end so you can get quite a bit in if you're going away for a week or so.

PS. Asking this question on the Yeti forum... BIG mistake. :rofl:

Yeah. I guess I knew it would be a BIG mistake putting it on this site. Does this mean my subconcious has already made the decision?

The trouble is that I want to change now, and there is virtually nothing available new. I contacted Carfile who I have had good service from in the past, and they can change for roughly the same price as my local dealer can do an Octavia with toys for. I would rather go with the local people but they can't come anywhere near with their Yeti quote.

By the way, the little woman says there is no way she will be seen in a truck. So maybe I will be having some lonely journeys!

Go for the Yeti. It doesn't matter what other people think. The Octavia will be more of the same the Yeti will be a whole new discovery............ :)

a 'whole new discovery' - isn't that from the Landrover stable? :giggle:

Have you taken the other half out in a Yeti yet?

Also does she drive?

As soon as my wife came back from the test drive she said YES!! And that was after being used to a Freelander. The whole car is much more compact than the Octi, and therefore much easier to park.

Even if she doesn't drive get her in the passenger seat and let her realise it is easier to get in and out of, plus she can see more.

a 'whole new discovery' - isn't that from the Landrover stable? :giggle:

I was behind a car and sticker on the back said 'Only one life don't waste it fixing LandRovers' made me smile like driving my Yeti :D

Totally love my Yeti, My advice go and get one!

The Octy is an old car-plus factors: very well developed, minus likely to be changed sooner.

The Yeti is a newer design and in production long enough for any wrinkles to have emerged. Experience suggests that they are well made and made from well chosen components.

They are as un-trucklike as could be. They provide a good deal of space in a small footprint and are a joy to drive. I've been driving a long time and a great variety of cars and the Yeti is much more fun than anything so useful has any right to be.

You shouldn't be surprised to find enthusiasm for them here but I wholeheartedly recommend one. Your wife will find it a comfortable way of getting around and, if she drives, extremely easy to park and drive.

Are you in the taxi business? - if not get the Yeti :rofl:

Oh......... we can get into trouble for saying things like that! LOL BUT well, yes, do you want to have an anonymous car (again) or have something distinctive like a Yeti? It is also not for life you get this car! You can sell it again in two year's time or whenever if you (or the wife) don't get on with it. You won't make a financial loss if the current prices for secondhand Yetis hold. But I'm sure you won't sell it and will get on with it big time. Yetis crawl under your skin when you don't notice. A perfect car. :giggle:

As Johann said.

And it certainly isn't a truck!

A Mitsubishi shogun or Toyota land cruiser, now they're trucks.

Big and very thirsty.

The Yeti, on the other hand, is small enough on the outside to make it easy to park and drive, but on the inside it has enough space to make it very comfortable and despite the smallish boot can still get a surprising amount of gear in.

Behind the front seats it is also as versatile as you would want. Fold the rear seats up or remove them and you've got a huge load area.

I have just moved a big wardrobe and it went in no problems with no dismantling required.

Get your wife to take a demo for a drive or if she doesn't drive take her out in one.

I may be biased but the Yeti is ideal for my family's needs and I will definitely have another.

Go on, you know you want to :)

I did the same thing....had a perfectly good Octy, but stopped by the dealers one day. They where quiet and ended up taking the Yeti demo for a drive....

Andy

+1 And probably a lot of other people too.

If you wish to avoid getting hooked, refuse the Yeti that the garage lends to you when your wife's Roomster is being serviced :wonder:

Have you taken the other half out in a Yeti yet?

Also does she drive?

As soon as my wife came back from the test drive she said YES!! And that was after being used to a Freelander. The whole car is much more compact than the Octi, and therefore much easier to park.

Even if she doesn't drive get her in the passenger seat and let her realise it is easier to get in and out of, plus she can see more.

Yes she does drive, (after a fashion. Learned on the same Bren Gun Carrier her father used)

She is an ex University Lecturer.

She is NEVER wrong.

She is a badge snob. (I won't mention what she drives).

Yes she does drive, (after a fashion. Learned on the same Bren Gun Carrier her father used)

She is an ex University Lecturer.

She is NEVER wrong.

She is a badge snob. (I won't mention what she drives).

Sorry, but you're going to have to tell us now!!

Tell her it's a "rich man with brains" Audi SUV!!

And valep, age is immaterial, you are only as old as you feel,

or the person you feel!!

And valep, age is immaterial, you are only as old as you feel,

I was always told that you are only as old as the woman you feel :giggle:

Just been and picked up my ex demo Yeti and loving it! Came from an Audi A3 and it drives better IMO! Feels similar inside but all the extras that you can get for incredible prices makes it a much better car!

Very impressed with road noise, handling, acceleration, the GPS, phone system, sound system etc. Nothing so far to dislike!