Air con compressor seized

Just had a call from my Father, he has a 1.8 SLXi, think it's an R reg Octavia.

Apparently the air con compressor looks to be seized, well it and the clutch because apparently it's not spinning and it is screaming.

The air con hasn't worked in ages, probably just needs a re-gas. That aside at this time of year it shouldn't be engaging anyway, so assuming the standard electronic clutch I'm guessing this has gone loopy and engaged, and the compressor has done something equally strange and locked up?

Any thoughts?

Tom

The outer pulley on the A/C pump will always rotate with the belt, when the A/C is enabled an electronic clutch engages and starts to operate the actual pump.

There are a couple of power cables down to the pump, you could try disconnecting them.

That's the theory, however at the moment apparently nothing is moving with belt.

He's taken it along to the local garage and as a quick (cheap) fix for now they are ordering up the belt for a non AC'd car and going to fit that and remove the compressor.

That will at least allow Dad to examine, repair the clutch and compressor if they can be or leave it that way for ever more. Lets face it, he doesn't use the car that much, the AC hasn't work in a year or more, and the cost of a new compressor is quite hight.

Tom

• 2 years later...

hi , iv got a problem with mine , not sure its the same but here we go , i had it charged today and then tried it and the belt started screeching so i guess the pump is seized ? any idea if it can be freed , any idea how much a new one it ? im not having a lot of luck with this car  

many thanks d 

I think my air con pump has started to fail,it rattles like a bucket of bolts,but seems to quieten down when I put the air con on :-(

Check that the nut in the centre of the clutch (inside the pulley) is tight and check there is an equal gap between the clutch and pulley. Although the pulley turns all the time, the compressor itself does not, so I would guess it is OK.

The nut holds the clutch plate to the compressor shaft. If the shaft turns, then the compressor is turning.

The pulley turns all the time.

With the a/c off, the magnetic clutch should be off and there will be a gap between the pulley and the clutch plate.

When the a/c is on, the electromagnet pulls the clutch plate in and it contacts the pulley, turning the compressor shaft.

For the nut, see http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/308465-octavia-ac-clutch-nut-size/

That's not the one your taking to Combe for me is it Jason....

Got me wondering now :o

I had a block before this, but don't remember if I removed the A/C compressor.....   Time for a rummage! :D

Ah crap!  It is that one!  It's a good job someone has a memory!  But think I might have another one - well I definitely "have another one" only its not very accessible at the moment.

:) let me know , iv been playing with mine today and some times i press the button and there no noise but i cant say it feels very cold , other times its noisy like the belts squealing but not sure what the noise is .

is this the pump or is this the PAS ? 

cheers chaps d 

2014-04-07193243_zps816cf127.jpg

Edited by toastie

...is this the pump or is this the PAS ?...

That's the PAS pump.

You may have a loose connection to the magnetic clutch of the a/c pump. There is a 4-pin connector that sits in a bracket just above the starter motor. Two wires go to the alternator and the other two go to the a/c clutch.

If the voltage is low at the magnetic clutch, the plate won't be tight against the a/c pulley and will get a metallic squeal.

right then folks iv had a did around and now need some info :) 

the inner spins free and the clutch aint working but i guess at one point it did as it was wining so had to be doing something . iv tested the 2 pin plug to it and cant get any power so i was thinking maybe its pop a fuse ? iv check them all in the box at the side of the dash and cant find any gone ,

when i hit AC the rad fans come on (i think that supposed to happen) 

anyone knew if i can power up the clutch with a hard wire just to test it ? if so witch wire is the + ? , i don't want to randomly stick power in to it. .

any ideas ? thanks loads , d :)

The two wire come from the fan controller (in front and below the battery) and go that 4-pin connector. Then they go from the other side of the 4-pin connector to the compressor (the wires follow the main alternator cable). If the fans come on with the a/c, chances are that the fan controller and pressure sensor are good.