Need some advice on what to do

Ok i have had my vrs for nearly 2 years now and starting to have thoughts about selling again but i need some advie on wether its worth it or worth throwing a few hundred quid at her to sort the handling etc and possibally a frount mount.

I was planning a RARB, quick shifter, dog bone mount, and replace all the bushes etc as the car is now 9 year old with 87k on it. I think this would transform the car and make it handle alot better i think this can be done fairly cheaply aswell there is also smaller things that i would like to do replace the foam base on the drivers seat change the carpet for a dark bora one and the possibally fit a frount mount but i just don't know what to do. I am looking to buy a house this year and the vrs is fairly cheap to run and hasnt let me down yet which i am very happy about plus my insurance renewal in march will be £500 which is not bad for a 22 year old :giggle:

If i was to sell my vrs i would probally have about 4,5k-5k to spend on a new car but i have been searching the net today i don't know what would be better than the vrs really been looking at leon's golf's bmw's etc but nothing has really jumped out at me and said buy me, quite like the bmw coupe's but the snow up here in the winter would mean i wouldnt be able to go anyhwere :doh: ,

I know its my decison but what would you guys do if you were in my situation? 5k to spend on a new car or spend a few hundred quid and sort the vrs and run it in to the ground? here is a pic of how my car looks :D007.jpg

I was in the same boat with my Ibiza mate, went to get a trade in price against a Cupra and laughed at the sales man. So decided to keep the Ibiza and spend a bit on it making it a fun car for the next few years, as I know its reliable and I could end up buying someone elses crap!

I'd spend a few hundred on it, personally.

You'd have to spend a lot more in the long run to get something better.

Superpro the bushes link, then fit a white line 24mm, (or if you can stretch to a 25/28mm Neuspeed) rear ARB, get it tracked up and you'll be sorted!!

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

Steve :)

Better the devil you know. I made the mistake with my first car, Only had a few minor problems which at the time I though were major so bought a polo for 2.5k and then my problems started. I'd say keep it. Looks a lovely car :thumbup

Better the devil you know. I made the mistake with my first car, Only had a few minor problems which at the time I though were major so bought a polo for 2.5k and then my problems started. I'd say keep it. Looks a lovely car :thumbup

+ 1 Lots of good advice :thumbup: , your car looks well looked after.

The octy never stops amazing me for its versatility and performance.

For me the rarb caused the biggest initial improvement in handling, cornering became a doddle.

Dont sell, remember there wont be any more MK 1's on the road than there is now.

The mk1 octavia is so well built I would spend the money on the mods

I am in the same boat. i live in Forres. snow has been ok this year but in recent winters i would not have had a BMW if you had given it to me. the octy on the other hand took the snow in her stride - do not get me wrong she is no landrover but many another car was stuck ind i still got home.

my yellow 2002 ovty vrs is aging now though and needing repairs to the sills where jacking has damaged them and flattened them and stone chips are starting to rust. i just think i am going to have to start spending lots on bodywork and i remember what a good car she was 3 years ago when i bought her (when she was 6 years old). she has given almost no trouble, so now i am looking to sell her and get a later model silver octy vrs (again about 6 years old) and hope i have the same good fortune again.

the shame of it is that i am only being offered about £1750 and given she has a 227 bhp revo remap, full poly bushes, whilt line ARBs, a front top strut brace, bmc cold air intake, recent rear calipers, decent tyres, clean interior, milltec down pipe and cat and a supersprint stainless exhaust, a massive file of receipts and service history and she had done 104k miles, it seems a lot of car for not much cash. i am just not wanting to have to go down the painting / bodywork route as i do not know anyone who will do a good cheap job and if it is to cost a grand or 2 for a good spray - the car will only be worth about the same anyway.

The car i am looking at to replace my yellow octy vrs is a silver octy vrs PX55 PKF. does anyone on here know anything about this motor? it is for sale in carlisle. i have not been to see it yet but hope it is in good condition given that it is a 55 plate.

i will look out for you when i am next in inverness mate.

I am in the same boat. i live in Forres. snow has been ok this year but in recent winters i would not have had a BMW if you had given it to me. the octy on the other hand took the snow in her stride - do not get me wrong she is no landrover but many another car was stuck ind i still got home.

my yellow 2002 ovty vrs is aging now though and needing repairs to the sills where jacking has damaged them and flattened them and stone chips are starting to rust. i just think i am going to have to start spending lots on bodywork and i remember what a good car she was 3 years ago when i bought her (when she was 6 years old). she has given almost no trouble, so now i am looking to sell her and get a later model silver octy vrs (again about 6 years old) and hope i have the same good fortune again.

the shame of it is that i am only being offered about £1750 and given she has a 227 bhp revo remap, full poly bushes, whilt line ARBs, a front top strut brace, bmc cold air intake, recent rear calipers, decent tyres, clean interior, milltec down pipe and cat and a supersprint stainless exhaust, a massive file of receipts and service history and she had done 104k miles, it seems a lot of car for not much cash. i am just not wanting to have to go down the painting / bodywork route as i do not know anyone who will do a good cheap job and if it is to cost a grand or 2 for a good spray - the car will only be worth about the same anyway.

The car i am looking at to replace my yellow octy vrs is a silver octy vrs PX55 PKF. does anyone on here know anything about this motor? it is for sale in carlisle. i have not been to see it yet but hope it is in good condition given that it is a 55 plate.

i will look out for you when i am next in inverness mate.

So you are going to sell a car that you know is sorted an buy an unknown? Sounds crazy to me. I'd trust my 02 VRS to take me anywhere mate (well once she's got a new clutch).

I was looking to sell my VRS and get something else, most things I looked at had the 1.8t engine, it's just such a good engine, but since the clutch has gone I'm going to get that done and keep it. Might go stage 2 but the price of a FMIC puts me right off, can't justify spending £600 on one for a £2k car :D

So you are going to sell a car that you know is sorted an buy an unknown? Sounds crazy to me. I'd trust my 02 VRS to take me anywhere mate (well once she's got a new clutch).

I was looking to sell my VRS and get something else, most things I looked at had the 1.8t engine, it's just such a good engine, but since the clutch has gone I'm going to get that done and keep it. Might go stage 2 but the price of a FMIC puts me right off, can't justify spending £600 on one for a £2k car :D

One of the reasons I sold mine, it's not just the £600 for a fmic, you've got 3" maf, injectors, tip etc then there's the map price. Not worth it IMO. The only way I'd have another 1.8t is in bam form. The only way I'd buy another vag is either LCR, R32 or a vr6 (which is top of my vag list). I'm an old school car man at heart so that's where I'll be staying I think with my next motor.

i know but it is the bodywork which is bothering me and the £1600 cost for a full respray to make her look great again - as you have already hit on it is a £2k car so this kind of expense is just too much

This is my point exactly, i have always liked the leon's but is it really worth selling my vrs for a leon for example is the leon really that much better than a vrs? I know they have the BAM engine and brembos but space wise i don't think they have nearly as much room as the vrs and i think they look really dated inside compared to the vrs IMO.

Its a tough descison, the car i really want is a golf r32 but can't afford one ( don't really want to go down the road of finace/loans on a car as i plan to buy my first house) so who knows :no: , maybe after few handling mods i would stop having these thoughts of selling as it is a very very clean car.

Lee ill keep a look out for you in and around inverness :thumbup:

This is my point exactly, i have always liked the leon's but is it really worth selling my vrs for a leon for example is the leon really that much better than a vrs? I know they have the BAM engine and brembos but space wise i don't think they have nearly as much room as the vrs and i think they look really dated inside compared to the vrs IMO.

Its a tough descison, the car i really want is a golf r32 but can't afford one ( don't really want to go down the road of finace/loans on a car as i plan to buy my first house) so who knows :no: , maybe after few handling mods i would stop having these thoughts of selling as it is a very very clean car.

Likewise - i am there most days. No doubt i will catch up with you at some point. Look after your car - looks really nice and clean. mine needs some tlc body wise - too many winter trips up and down the A9 had taken its toll

Trust me you will get bored of a R32.

Ok they sound great, have 4 wheel drive, great seats, and nice color. But if you don't like the size of a Leon, you won't like the size of a Golf. Depends on the space you need. The Golf boot is very small.

I have driven a few R32 and although they are pretty quick from a standing start, not close to a mapped VRS after initial getaway.

The 240BHP engine should have been more like 280 to give better thrills, and if you want more power the R32 get's expensive.

If I had my time to spend again and mod i may have considered a LCR as it has a K04 and a better bench model to tune than the VRS for 250+ BHP which is what i would be interested in now.

I have a family, so the VRS ticks more box's for me. Also I have to say the VRS just looks better than a Golf or Leon. And you are so right about the Leon naff interior.

If I had to sell my VRS and get some fun car I would go for the Audi S3. These are cheaper than R32 for same age. Have great seat's , 4 wheel drive but still have that great 1.8T engine with a K04 turbo.

Possibly a older Audi S4 i would consider to.

I still say keep your VRS Paul...

Edited by Bowders1

After thinking about what to do for the last couple of days decided to keep my vRS.

I can't think of any reasons why i should actually sell the car so i will be keeping her :) , its in next week for an mot after that i shall be ordering an RARB and the polybush kit and possibally some other mods.

Thanks for the advice guys :thumbup:

I would be interested to hear about your mods. Btw if you decide to upgrade your revo map to stage 2 I think you would have difficulty taking it anywhere else due to the way that revo structure the 'code'.

John

ill keep my build thread posted about future mods, what do you mean about the "code" mate?

cheers

I would be interested to hear about your mods. Btw if you decide to upgrade your revo map to stage 2 I think you would have difficulty taking it anywhere else due to the way that revo structure the 'code'.

John

Why would he want to take the car else where if he has already got a REVO 1 map. :dull:

That is like saying he has a Shark Map and then wants to go to REVO to get it tweaked...

If he gets a REVO stage 2 he will only pay a extra £50 now he has a stage 1

Don't get your point.

I don`t care that they are only worth 2k, I have had many cars in the 40-55k price range in the past. Unfortunately times are tough right now and I needed a car, hey presto Skoda Octavia MK1 VRS. Everything you could every need, I have found this car to be amazing for a vehicle entering its 11 year on the road!!! Once I get back on my feet I will NOT be selling the Skoda, I may well buy an additional car but will not sell the MK1.

Just think back to when the Series 1 RS Turbo was only worth buttons, and what they are worth today. Just look up the price of some 80/90s RS`s XR`s GTE`s GSI`s Etc!! Enough Said in my opinion. Worth keeping hold of now & enjoying them.

I don`t care that they are only worth 2k, I have had many cars in the 40-55k price range in the past. Unfortunately times are tough right now and I needed a car, hey presto Skoda Octavia MK1 VRS. Everything you could every need, I have found this car to be amazing for a vehicle entering its 11 year on the road!!! Once I get back on my feet I will NOT be selling the Skoda, I may well buy an additional car but will not sell the MK1.

Just think back to when the Series 1 RS Turbo was only worth buttons, and what they are worth today. Just look up the price of some 80/90s RS`s XR`s GTE`s GSI`s Etc!! Enough Said in my opinion. Worth keeping hold of now & enjoying them.

Oh and they will become a classic and Uber cool once the Chavs wreck some more and the numbers left reduce further!!

The points are:

other companies don't make it (nigh on) impossible to read the ecu - revo do.

I know of an example where a guy uprated and turbo (gt30) on a diesel which was way outside revo's expertise.

Another company, with the expertise found it difficult to access the code.

Why would he want to take the car else where if he has already got a REVO 1 map. :dull:

That is like saying he has a Shark Map and then wants to go to REVO to get it tweaked...

If he gets a REVO stage 2 he will only pay a extra £50 now he has a stage 1

Don't get your point.

Likewise - i am there most days. No doubt i will catch up with you at some point. Look after your car - looks really nice and clean. mine needs some tlc body wise - too many winter trips up and down the A9 had taken its toll

paul for any of your mods, have you had the car set up? i take it we have no rollong road dyno up here in the sleepy north of scotland have we?

007.jpg

nice looking car paul!

i like the subtle mods like the black wing mirrors with the black wheels, the black grill and splitter contrasting with the colour coded bump strips, also getting rid of the orange bulbs (silver ones i take it)!

:thumbup:

paul for any of your mods, have you had the car set up? i take it we have no rollong road dyno up here in the sleepy north of scotland have we?

Lee, i have a blueflame exhaust and a revo map was mapped by a revo dealer in inverness. No your right i couldnt find a rolling road up here so went down to edinburgh to see what power she was making, only made 182bhp because i then found out i had a boost leak, replaced the pipes under the manifold and it now pulls really well very impressed with the map. Wallace performance in aberdeen have a rolling road aswell i think they mapped my mates fabia vrs. Are you still planning fitting a k04 turbo to your vrs mate? PM me next time your in and about inverness and ill keep an eye out for your car :thumbup:

nice looking car paul!

i like the subtle mods like the black wing mirrors with the black wheels, the black grill and splitter contrasting with the colour coded bump strips, also getting rid of the orange bulbs (silver ones i take it)!

:thumbup:

Thanks for the kind comments mate, yeah i went for subtle mods for the look of the car don't think vrs's need much done on the styling front as they are good looking cars imo. I am annoyed with the spliter though made a mess of fitting it (shouldn't of fitted it with a really bad hangover :thumbdown: ) was going to whip it off and refit it but i cant honestly be bothered. She flew through an MOT last weekonly needed a headlamp alligned still very impressed with the vrs after owning it for nearly 2 years.

Lee, i have a blueflame exhaust and a revo map was mapped by a revo dealer in inverness. No your right i couldnt find a rolling road up here so went down to edinburgh to see what power she was making, only made 182bhp because i then found out i had a boost leak, replaced the pipes under the manifold and it now pulls really well very impressed with the map. Wallace performance in aberdeen have a rolling road aswell i think they mapped my mates fabia vrs. Are you still planning fitting a k04 turbo to your vrs mate? PM me next time your in and about inverness and ill keep an eye out for your car :thumbup:

Hi Paul (tried to PM you but it said you could not receive messages at tis time) I am in inverness every day mon to fri. i am usually in inverness by 7am and gone for about 3pm. Have you seen any good low mileage 05 or 55 plate Octy VRS's in black or silver for sale up here? i am looking to chop mine in for a newer model but the nearest one i have seen which is a late low miler is carlisle. with regards to the T04 i have been put off a bit on here as people talk of needing everything uprating to run a T04 or a hybrid. i think i might get the new car when i find it, and just do suspension, wheels and a stage 1 map and leave it at that for a while. i did want to go further but can only afford to do it gradually and by the sounds of it when you have a good turbo you need to do everything all at once, so i guess it is a no go for me at present. take care Lee,