Bring to your attention

Scott Howie

THIS WAS POSTED ON ANOTHER FORUM, not by meself.

Word of warning!!!

by MARK IBIZA FR » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Heres something i read on another forum just thought id repost it on here.

I was on the M4 Westbound on the way home from SCC Performance in St Albans on Wednesday (30th Nov, Revo Stage 1! ), I was aware of a silver Volvo S40 on a 58 plate that appeared to be following me for sometime. It matched my lane changes and overtakes and sat behind at the same distance the whole time. Naturally I thought it might be the rozzers, so took it carefully. After nearly half an hour I got suspicious so overtook a few cars then dropped to lane 1, slowing right down to force him to pass. He had a real good long look at me, as did I at him. It didn't look like a copper, no uniform, dodgy looking geezer etc. So I overtook again and hoped to carry on my way having made it clear I had clocked him.

Again he stuck with me, matching my every move. This continued for a few more minutes before approaching an exit, he started flashing his headlights and indicating me to pull off the motorway. I carried on, he flashed again and then turned on some blue and red "wig-wag style" strobes which were mounted on his dashboard. I shat myself for a moment, but it just didn't look right. Also there was no siren, no blues mounted behind grille, no "wig-wag" flashing headlights etc, so I didn't stop and passed the exit.

The flashing and blues stopped and he sat behind me again matching my movements like before. I was already pretty sure it wasn't a copper, so I managed to drop behind him again, even though I had to slow to 30 mph until he eventually passed, and I dialled 999 and spoke to the police giving them the car reg. After all, if it was a copper, I didn't wanna get done for failing to stop. They confirmed that the car was NOT a police car and not to stop, so I carried on as they spoke to officers to inform them of the situation.

My turn off came and sure enough he followed even though I didn't signal and exited at last minute. Approaching Bristol I came to traffic lights and he pulled alongside close to my car with his window down and gestured me to pull over, flashing a warrant badge at me. In no uncertain terms I informed said dodgy geezer that he could jog on if he thought I was going to stop as I was on the phone to the police control centre who informed me the car was not a police vehicle. Needless to say he didn't hang around long, nor the other car which I hadn't noticed before who seemed to be tagging along behind him, never saw him again after that.

For me it was not that big a deal, I clocked him early on. If this was someone more vulnerable and trusting, it could have got nasty. It was pretty obvious they were more interested in the car than anything else, but still.

So beware people and if ever in doubt, don't stop, simply dial 999 and inform them you have been indicated to stop but you believe it may not be a real police vehicle. They will check on the spot if you provide them a reg. If it is a copper, you won't get in trouble as long as you drive appropriately, as your call will be logged showing you were unsure if it was really police or not.

Just thought id let u all know, i just make sure you check if you have any doubts

Sounds pretty dodgy! It's a shame some people may not have been so observant and could of ended up in a bad situation. If they had one intention to steal his car then the Volvo they where driving was probably on faulse plates or even stolen!

Pleased that the original poster on the other forum kept his wits about him :)

Thanks for Sharing - There's some Scum-Bag's out there!

And remember, Dialing 999 from a non-hands free enabled Device is also LEGAL so, even if you dont have a hands free, DO IT. - Don't stop!

Al..

Thanks for Sharing - There's some Scum-Bag's out there!

And remember, Dialing 999 from a non-hands free enabled Device is also LEGAL so, even if you dont have a hands free, DO IT. - Don't stop!

Al..

thats a very good point to make to people as alot of people will not know that. like said, if you dont have hands free dont feel obligated to pull over to use your mobile, just phone 999 while driving, be safe about it and keep your concentration on the road but your not breaking the law.

Technically it is still against the law to dial 999 when driving without hands free but you will never be prosecuted and the best advice I can give to anyone is if an unmarked car tries to pull you over with blues or whites and your suspicious then please do call 999 and don't pull over but instead head for the nearest police station, you'll never be done for failing to stop for doing that and the police will not be surprised if that's what you do. That said fire and ambulance services as well as doctors all use unmarked cars with blues as well so if they want passed please let them!

Technically it is still against the law to dial 999 when driving without hands free but you will never be prosecuted and the best advice I can give to anyone is if an unmarked car tries to pull you over with blues or whites and your suspicious then please do call 999 and don't pull over but instead head for the nearest police station, you'll never be done for failing to stop for doing that and the police will not be surprised if that's what you do. That said fire and ambulance services as well as doctors all use unmarked cars with blues as well so if they want passed please let them!

you can only be done for it if done in an improper mannor or if you dont have control of the car at the same time

Interesting that this is in my neck of the woods. However, it's worth noting that the undercover BMW's and other cars they use around here all start with 'WX' on the number plate. :thumbup:

As said above - If in doubt just ring '999'.

That said fire and ambulance services as well as doctors all use unmarked cars with blues as well so if they want passed please let them!

Sorry to be pedantic, but actually Doctors run under green lights only. Even the BaSIC's team use greens. (I've worked with them)

Sorry to be pedantic, but actually Doctors run under green lights only. Even the BaSIC's team use greens. (I've worked with them)

No sorry but the two basics doctors in west Cumbria have blues only on their personal cars as green lights gives no exceptions to speed limits ATSs etc. I work with them too.

you can only be done for it if done in an improper mannor or if you dont have control of the car at the same time

Nope, that's the old rules when you would be prosecuted for driving while not in proper control but now there's a specific offence for use of mobile telecommunications device it no longer applies and just usining it completes the offence, it's been like this for the last approx 5 years or so.

No sorry but the two basics doctors in west Cumbria have blues only on their personal cars as green lights gives no exceptions to speed limits ATSs etc. I work with them too.

Theres only one way to deal with this ..............................

I remember watching a program many many months ago about this sort of thing. Their advice was also the same to not stop, ring 999 and drive somewhere safe preferrably the nearest police station. That was the advise of some police officers too.

Phil

Similar thing happened (with worse consequences) here in Kent back in 2005 I think it was, a gang knocked over the Securitas depot in Tonbridge, they posed as police officers and pulled over the manager up near Detling, bundled him into their car then held him in a farmhouse somewhere while their accomplices held his family hostage in their house so he would let the rest of the gang into the depot!

It must be a regional thing, all our basics docs have blues, only the out of hours GPs have green around here and we've been told they have no exceptions and to treat them as such. That being said after read 87 of the road traffic regulations act (exceptions for emergency services) I would argue they probably would have exceptions.

It must be a regional thing, all our basics docs have blues, only the out of hours GPs have green around here and we've been told they have no exceptions and to treat them as such. That being said after read 87 of the road traffic regulations act (exceptions for emergency services) I would argue they probably would have exceptions.

Possibly. I know that North Wales are very strict on who uses Blues (better now that "hims" gone) and all the DR's around here use greens.

Possibly. I know that North Wales are very strict on who uses Blues (better now that "hims" gone) and all the DR's around here use greens.

So do they have sirens and respond (ie use exceptions for speed limits and traffic lights?) solely on greens?