To anyone who has experienced DMF failure

Hi All

Iv mentioned it a few times now and im still fighting tooth and nail trying to get my dealership to replace the DMF but so far they keep shrugging it off like its nothing, anyway (bare with me here) few week ago i put some winter tyres on steel wheels and was told by the tyre shop one of them was very slightly warped but had put enough balance weight on to counter act this but i experienced abit of wheel wobble at higher speeds ;) but i was not too concerned but only today (dont ask me why, blonde?) iv just linked it to the DMF

Whenever iv got any sort of throttle on i would get what feels like wheel wobble through the steering wheel and only today when i put the clutch down as the idiot in front of me braked for no reason did the wobble stop but i was still traveling at roughly the same speed (i did the same thing a few more times to be sure) So the ever collapsing DMF is now transmitting vibrations up the steering column, so to get to my point, can anyone give me a rough idea of how badly damaged the DMF has to be do to able to give this behavior?

Dont ask me how iv only just noticed this now as this wobble has been present for about a month now :dull: Sorry for the long story but this is starting to really bug me now

Plus the dealership keep palming me off with ''come back if it gets worse'' Is this classed as worse or just normal DMF failure?

I had a DMF replaced on my old 60 plate with 58k on the clock, also replaced two front shocks & a rear wheel bearing at the same time. This was done at Parks Skoda in Hamilton. Car was my old taxi & the dealer was aware of this.

The problem I had with the DMF was it would rattle its brains as soon as the clutch was lifted, was extremely loud & very irritating

G

I'm sitting at 152K on my 55 plate and the DMF's been rattling for about the last 10 thou... Just waiting on it going bang then i'll replace it with a SMF... No signs of it coming through steering though!

I had a DMF replaced on my old 60 plate with 58k on the clock, also replaced two front shocks & a rear wheel bearing at the same time. This was done at Parks Skoda in Hamilton. Car was my old taxi & the dealer was aware of this.

The problem I had with the DMF was it would rattle its brains as soon as the clutch was lifted, was extremely loud & very irritating

G

Mines going in Friday for the two front shockers doing and one of the front wheel bearings is starting to go!

I'm sitting at 152K on my 55 plate and the DMF's been rattling for about the last 10 thou... Just waiting on it going bang then i'll replace it with a SMF... No signs of it coming through steering though!

I used to have a Mk4 Golf with a knackered DMF and i made that last for 25k and sold it on but i never got feedback through the steering either, this is why im questioning how bad it is as the dealership are making it out its fine, well not fine but not broken if you get me

Steering is not likely to be DMF IMHO.

As for waiting for it to g bang, that's potentially going to damage the box, so I'd do it before the DMF goes pop.

If its not the DMF and it is the drive shafts then surly it would be the same all the time? Obviously when i put the clutch down this will cut all vibrations but what i didt mention is that say for example im putting alot of power down the shaking intensifies but im cruising then it mild vibration, if it was a drive shaft wouldt it be the same across the board?

My dealership knows its going and it one day it will go bang and im aware of the damage they cause but this is their problem not mine, iv covered my back in the form of having a case file with Skoda customer services and they have contacted the dealership in question so everyone knows where they stand, they cant turn around and say this is my fault, thus not replacing it

As previously mentioned, I wouldn't say it was the DMF that would cause the steering wheel to shake, they usually just "clunk" when pulling away and slowing down as it's the dampers that ware, just to add to the illusion, you could have a look at the bottom wishbone, they can cause vibration under acceleration, when you take away the "torque" from the front wheels by dipping the clutch the wheels become "free running" and are not under the control of the engine and gearbox.

As previously mentioned, I wouldn't say it was the DMF that would cause the steering wheel to shake, they usually just "clunk" when pulling away and slowing down as it's the dampers that ware, just to add to the illusion, you could have a look at the bottom wishbone, they can cause vibration under acceleration, when you take away the "torque" from the front wheels by dipping the clutch the wheels become "free running" and are not under the control of the engine and gearbox.

Interesting you mention this as i posted a few week ago about a creaking at the front end, i had the same problem on my Mk4 Golf (yes it was a problematic car!) and it that was the wish bones. Very audible at low speeds turning, i mentioned this today at the dealership (was in for 60k service) and he said he didt find anything wrong

Interesting you mention this as i posted a few week ago about a creaking at the front end, i had the same problem on my Mk4 Golf (yes it was a problematic car!) and it that was the wish bones. Very audible at low speeds turning, i mentioned this today at the dealership (was in for 60k service) and he said he didt find anything wrong

Then I would look at the wheels you have on the car, the clutch would not normally cause steering wheel wobble, you have to look at the things that attached to the steering wheel i.e track rod ends, wheel bearing, wish bone, drive shaft, anti rollbar, weak shocks (speed hump damage), the fact that you said one wheel was damaged but they put enough wheel wieghts on to compensate (not ideal).

Lets hope you solve this soon as it's a pain in the a*s when you have wheel wobble :p

You mention that the car is going in this week for the front shocks to be replaced (keep a look out for mine as it's in too :giggle: ), I wonder if the fact that these are in need of replacement might also be causing your wobbly steering?

If you're putting a lot of power down and it's shaking, I'd be looking at getting the bushes checked and also the tracking and balance of the car.

The DMF is fairly distinctive (Think I had about 6 of them) and will make a repetitive noise when it starts to go properly.

You mention that the car is going in this week for the front shocks to be replaced (keep a look out for mine as it's in too :giggle: ), I wonder if the fact that these are in need of replacement might also be causing your wobbly steering?

They can keep each other company!

She described it as damp shockers, so im guessing she means leaking, i thought this would only result in a slower rebound rate and have a lower level of resistance?

If you're putting a lot of power down and it's shaking, I'd be looking at getting the bushes checked and also the tracking and balance of the car.

The DMF is fairly distinctive (Think I had about 6 of them) and will make a repetitive noise when it starts to go properly.

Right i can rule DMF out then, i think i just jumped to that as iv had so much bother with it.

When in for the 60k service today apparently the mechanic spend a good while under the front end as i mentioned the creaking and asked to have it put on the job card and he found nothing abnormal, i think this is another example of DM Keith fobbing me off.

Like i said its back in on Friday, ill ask the grease monkey to come out in the car before he gets it in the work shop and let him see for himself, once over 60mph (under load) the steering wheel is literally shaking your arm off and when cruising its still shaking but not as bad

Can I ask which steel wheels you had fitted? VAG? A mate of mine bought some wheels for his BMW and he didn't get any spigots after he fitted he was constantly getting vibrations and one of the wheels was slightly buckled he found out later but after getting the spigots everything is fine now.

Can I ask which steel wheels you had fitted? VAG? A mate of mine bought some wheels for his BMW and he didn't get any spigots after he fitted he was constantly getting vibrations and one of the wheels was slightly buckled he found out later but after getting the spigots everything is fine now.

They are off a Superb but i had this problem before i fitting them, with the standard vRS alloys on i still got the wobble but not as aggressive

• 2 weeks later...

My Fabia VRS 06 had the same issue you described after many painful months of troubleshooting and pulling the car in bits it was traced to a inner drive shaft CV joint. One small ball and pitting. Replaced both drive shaft inner CV joints and the problem was gone :-)

If its any help on the DMF issue I suffered a failed DMF on a Mercedes A Class which was replaced under warranty at 15000 miles. The "symptoms" were excessive vibration when cold at tickover but what really made the thing shudder was accelerating hard in first gear when cold. Might be worth trying that with your car to see if it does the same.

My Fabia VRS 06 had the same issue you described after many painful months of troubleshooting and pulling the car in bits it was traced to a inner drive shaft CV joint. One small ball and pitting. Replaced both drive shaft inner CV joints and the problem was gone :-)

yeah the other half has said this is most likely the problem, the weird thing is though i had my front shockers replaced last week and it seems to of half fixed the proble, they dont seem to vibrate as much :S

If its any help on the DMF issue I suffered a failed DMF on a Mercedes A Class which was replaced under warranty at 15000 miles. The "symptoms" were excessive vibration when cold at tickover but what really made the thing shudder was accelerating hard in first gear when cold. Might be worth trying that with your car to see if it does the same.

Mines the same, my dealership already know how bad it is but apparently it needs to be 'worse'...once again :S

Hi All

Iv mentioned it a few times now and im still fighting tooth and nail trying to get my dealership to replace the DMF but so far they keep shrugging it off like its nothing, anyway (bare with me here) few week ago i put some winter tyres on steel wheels and was told by the tyre shop one of them was very slightly warped but had put enough balance weight on to counter act this but i experienced abit of wheel wobble at higher speeds ;) but i was not too concerned but only today (dont ask me why, blonde?) iv just linked it to the DMF

Whenever iv got any sort of throttle on i would get what feels like wheel wobble through the steering wheel and only today when i put the clutch down as the idiot in front of me braked for no reason did the wobble stop but i was still traveling at roughly the same speed (i did the same thing a few more times to be sure) So the ever collapsing DMF is now transmitting vibrations up the steering column, so to get to my point, can anyone give me a rough idea of how badly damaged the DMF has to be do to able to give this behavior?

Dont ask me how iv only just noticed this now as this wobble has been present for about a month now :dull: Sorry for the long story but this is starting to really bug me now

Plus the dealership keep palming me off with ''come back if it gets worse'' Is this classed as worse or just normal DMF failure?

Hi everybody, I'm new here...checking treads because im sick what my octavia 2.0 tdi 16V, 2005, is doing last month :(...

I'm owning this car for 3yrs done 30k miles, never problems att all, ohh yes whistling turbo is a 'must'...but all other was fine...

I had some noises from 'gearbox' when cold only, then I 'lost' gearbox cover, gearbox oil and bearing needed to be replaced...after gearbox refurbished (cost me 600) when HOT(after half an our drive) very noisy bad sound started, like two knifes touching, the same when clutch pressed or released, corespond with engine rews....only stoped when engine cooled down for half? an hour.

Thought something wrong with gearbox again, so get second hand gearbox fitted (for free)...but after 30miles the same sound....

It might be DMF, but dont wanna spend another 700 before I'm not sure...its NO vibration just this nasty sound...

thanks

yeah the other half has said this is most likely the problem, the weird thing is though i had my front shockers replaced last week and it seems to of half fixed the proble, they dont seem to vibrate as much :S

Mines the same, my dealership already know how bad it is but apparently it needs to be 'worse'...once again :S

I had to "push" to get Mercedes to do my car. At the time, DMF failure was a known issue with the diesel A Class but guess what, the serial number of my car was outside the range of affected numbers so they wouldn't do it. I still complained so they said they would contact Mercedes UK and if they agreed to cover the cost, they would do it. Eventually they came back with a "yes" and so it was done. Incidentally, the bill for this was £2300 which was why I decided there and then to out it before 3 years and warranty was up and I now have the Skoda.

The Dealers will only do warranty work if they can claim it back from the UK franchise. My Mercedes DMF was a good example. With my Octavia I have some stone chips on the bonnet so I complained to the dealer and the immediate remark was "Skoda won't pay for that", i.e. fair wear and tear, hard luck pal.

I don't know how you find out, but somewhere within Skoda UK will be guidelines they give to their Dealers as to just how bad a DMF has to be before they will foot the bill and hence your Dealer will then change it for you.Good luck!