golf fog lights

does anyone know if THESE would fit into the fog light space on a 1.9tdi ambiente i want fog lights to wire up to my main beam to light up the road infront of the bumper ive found theres quite a black spot there when driving down the kind of roads i use but i want foglights that look like they should be there but look diffrent at the same time(not standard octavia ones). any help appreciated

im running hids aglignments fine ive noticed it on the father in laws octavia and my uncles superb they all seem to have the black spot that isn noticed on the road only on the road to my house where 3mph is about as fast as can be managed. its not illegal if they come on with the full beam only with dipped as far as ive been told. i was in at the local garage today and asked the mot tester he said there wouldnt be a problem with it.

In addition to the legality side of things, there is another aspect to consider; on a previous car (lotus) i re-wired so that I had just about every lamp on the front of the car ON when I had main beam which lit up the road a treat. Only problem - your eyes adjust to the level of brightness, so when you then switch back to dipped beam the contrast is so much that its like you've switched your lights off completely! Not good.

I reversed that mod..

Well my 323 and my rx-8 both have the fog lights wired that way and it makes a huge diffrence on single track rutted roads and ive never had a problem at mot time. But regardless of legality does anyone know if the golf inserts will fit.

im running hids aglignments fine ive noticed it on the father in laws octavia and my uncles superb they all seem to have the black spot that isn noticed on the road only on the road to my house where 3mph is about as fast as can be managed. its not illegal if they come on with the full beam only with dipped as far as ive been told. i was in at the local garage today and asked the mot tester he said there wouldnt be a problem with it.

Who checked and aligned them and how?

If you have a dark spot then I'd be looking at both up/down and left/right alignment of both lights again.

Well my 323 and my rx-8 both have the fog lights wired that way and it makes a huge diffrence on single track rutted roads and ive never had a problem at mot time. But regardless of legality does anyone know if the golf inserts will fit.

You sure you're not confusing fog lights with driving lights?

You know, this quite innocent post is so scary.

You've got an MOT tester who doesn't know the law regarding front fog lights and lets your cars through with them wired up illegally.

Just think what other "dangerous" cars might now be on the road thanks to your MOT tester.

I'd love to know who he is so he could be reported. MOT testers not doing their job correctly should have their licenses taken away.

Ah this old one, again.

So, according to some, use of the front fog-lights is only to be used in reduced visability.

Please, then, can someone explain the legality of cornering lights? :| :|

As far as I can see the lights on the front, lower, corner of the car have now become multi-function (or at least dual-function).

Given that we're talking about using them as auxillary driving lights, to be activated and de-activated in concert with the main-beam, you would be at no-less a risk of dazzling anyone than just main-beam.

The other option would be two sets of lights in the front skirt: Multi-funcion (corner and fog) and auxillary (wired to come on with main-beam, but either of a driving light or fog light configuration)

You sure you're not confusing fog lights with driving lights?

You know, this quite innocent post is so scary.

You've got an MOT tester who doesn't know the law regarding front fog lights and lets your cars through with them wired up illegally.

Just think what other "dangerous" cars might now be on the road thanks to your MOT tester.

I'd love to know who he is so he could be reported. MOT testers not doing their job correctly should have their licenses taken away.

Hmmm, MOT doesn't test for legality, only safety.

E.g

Doesn't test for illegally fitted HIDs

Doesn't test for speedometer - a legal requirement

Doesn't test number plates - "If no identification mark, write chassis number" appears on the MOT certificate.

There's lots of "legal stuff" it doesn't test for.

Fog lights run on high powered, generally halogen bulbs. Cornering function is controlled by a separate, lower powered bulb to avoid dazzle. So the fog light bulbs are not being used as cornering lights at all.

There are actually quite a few manufacturers that use the front fog lights as cornering lights, including Skoda with their Octavia, Yeti and Superb.

The list is long but a few I have seen include the latest VW Golf, Seat Ibiza, Fiat Brava and Mercedes C Class etc. These cars all have their front fogs lights double up as cornering lights (no separate cornering light).

As mentioned above it is unlikely a car with its front fog lights wired to come on with main beam would fail an MOT test as it isn't a safety issue, more of a legal issue.

If however a police officer noticed it and they were clued up on the highway code then you may get into bother, but considering the vast majority of them still don't understand DRL's I doubt you will ever be in this position. When was the last time you passed an oncoming police car with main beam on?

Back on topic, the best way to check fitment will be to check with the seller, if he doesn't know check out his returns policy. If he agrees for you to order them and check to see if they fit and return them for a refund if they don't then it may be worth the effort.

So UK regulations do distinguish between front fog lights and front driving lights then if Ford are able to fit them both?

On the Fiesta above does anyone know how the driving lights are turned on?

1) Separate switch? Work with no lights / side lights / dipped headlights?

2) Come on automatically with dipped headlights?

3) Come on automatically with dipped headlights & main beam?

4) Come on with main beam flash?

Hmmm, MOT doesn't test for legality, only safety.

E.g

Doesn't test for illegally fitted HIDs

Doesn't test for speedometer - a legal requirement

Doesn't test number plates - "If no identification mark, write chassis number" appears on the MOT certificate.

There's lots of "legal stuff" it doesn't test for.

The new MOT does check this.

Xenons must have washers and self level to pass the MOT. There are plenty if posts in gen car chat about the new test, and what will gain an instant fail from 1st Jan.2012

The new MOT may now test for the washers and levelling system on xenon headlights but front fog lights still aren't included, only the rear fog light/s.

So, in theory wiring them up to come on with main beam won't be an MOT fail.

Fog lights run on high powered, generally halogen bulbs. Cornering function is controlled by a separate, lower powered bulb to avoid dazzle. So the fog light bulbs are not being used as cornering lights at all.

Wrong. The Pre-FL Octavia only has one bulb in the housing, is used for both cornering light and fog-light.

http://octavia-vrs.com/cms/content/enabling-cornering-light-function

.....bottom VCDS graphic. "Turn lights via fog-lights".

A second bulb in the fog-light reflector would produce dazzle unless the reflector was designed to take two, separate filaments. (e.g. like a Felicia headlight)

Fog-lights that dazzle are incorrectly set up in the first place. The idea is to light the ground in front of the car, not to project into the distance, nor upwards. A fog-light that lights upwards would light up the fog producing a white wall in front of you - fairly useless for driving really.

There has been a considerable debate about lighting in general and fog lights in particular on the various forums, but nobody seems to have hit the nail on the head.

As has been stated, FOG lights are for driving when there is FOG and falling snow about and NO other situation such as reduced lighting conditions, however fanciful that may sound.

In the case of reduced lighting conditions DIPPED headlights MUST be used (without FOG lights) and this regulation has been in force since the mid-1970's.

The regulation for FOG lights has been in force for many years before that and applies to ALL front lights that are located on the vehicles where the CENTRE of the light is less than 24 inches (although it may be the metric equivalent now) from the road surface and more than 21 watts. Those who remember the original Mini may have noticed that the headlight centre's were 24.5 inches from the road in order to comply.

On the other hand, running lights are 21 watts (or less) and can be below 24 inches and there is a new Euro regulation knocking about that says that all vehicles newly designed after February 2011 must be fitted with working running lights (not just registered after that date, but NEWLY designed as well).

If you want to know about rear lights, just ask!

Mac

Wrong. The Pre-FL Octavia only has one bulb in the housing, is used for both cornering light and fog-light.

http://octavia-vrs.c...-light-function

.....bottom VCDS graphic. "Turn lights via fog-lights".

A second bulb in the fog-light reflector would produce dazzle unless the reflector was designed to take two, separate filaments. (e.g. like a Felicia headlight)

Fog-lights that dazzle are incorrectly set up in the first place. The idea is to light the ground in front of the car, not to project into the distance, nor upwards. A fog-light that lights upwards would light up the fog producing a white wall in front of you - fairly useless for driving really.

But does it not run the bulb at less than 100% power when used as a cornering light?

Similar to how the rear fog light and brake light bulbs are run at a lower power to dual function as additional standard rear lights?

But does it not run the bulb at less than 100% power when used as a cornering light?

Similar to how the rear fog light and brake light bulbs are run at a lower power to dual function as additional standard rear lights?

No...100%

Right ive started a war here but to add to it my mates passat 55plate has got via vcds the fog lights activated to come on with the main beam aswell as with the fog light switch work from both sources he got it done when he got the car and is trying to get a hold of the member on the tdi forum that done it for him to find out what its under or called.

Right ive started a war here but to add to it my mates passat 55plate has got via vcds the fog lights activated to come on with the main beam aswell as with the fog light switch work from both sources he got it done when he got the car and is trying to get a hold of the member on the tdi forum that done it for him to find out what its under or called.