vRS hard to start in freezing weather

Timewarp

Sorry - just seen the reply. I wouldn't rule it out tbh - although I wouldn't be so sure about the additives having such a pronounced effect so quickly, I wonder whether there's something to do with the Cetane rating and timing if that occurs with diesel cars (think I'm applying petrol theory to diesel - might trip myself up...)

ive wondered similar ....theres a bp garage next to my work and would be dead easy to fill the car up on lunch times etc but after filling bike up there on a couple of occasions ive struggled to get home so i didnt dare risk it ??

did the prob ever get solved ?

Sorry - just seen the reply. I wouldn't rule it out tbh - although I wouldn't be so sure about the additives having such a pronounced effect so quickly, I wonder whether there's something to do with the Cetane rating and timing if that occurs with diesel cars (think I'm applying petrol theory to diesel - might trip myself up...)

Scrap that theory - I suddenly had starting problems again last Thursday, when it wasn't that cold, and with BP Ultimate in the tank. I've cleaned my K&N air filter over the weekend, but I can't imagine a dirty filter causing problems when starting?

Edited by Timewarp

Lol - just when you thought you were getting somewhere...

Can't see the airfilter causing that much trouble especially if you don't then notice a drop in performance, or a squid-ink-like black cloud behind you put your foot down. Can only be one of a few possibilities though. If you're running additives in the fuel lines now, then hopefully that is knocked off. If its turning over quickly, then that's supposedly your battery ok. A lack of codes hints at the plugs being ok electrically but what about whether they soot-up over time? I don't know if that happens and means one or more aren't radiating quite-enough heat for startup? I must admit I really don't know if this happens though tbh.

Lol - just when you thought you were getting somewhere...

Can't see the airfilter causing that much trouble especially if you don't then notice a drop in performance, or a squid-ink-like black cloud behind you put your foot down. Can only be one of a few possibilities though. If you're running additives in the fuel lines now, then hopefully that is knocked off. If its turning over quickly, then that's supposedly your battery ok. A lack of codes hints at the plugs being ok electrically but what about whether they soot-up over time? I don't know if that happens and means one or more aren't radiating quite-enough heat for startup? I must admit I really don't know if this happens though tbh.

Yeh, sod's law!

When it was tricky to start it has always been fine once running. Battery still seems OK too.

It does seem more responsive now that the air filter has been cleaned and re-oiled. Yes it could be down to glow plugs. The common factor in all cases is when it hasn't been driven the day before, not sure the affect this would have on glow plugs. Cheers for your reply.

Yeh, sod's law!

When it was tricky to start it has always been fine once running. Battery still seems OK too.

It does seem more responsive now that the air filter has been cleaned and re-oiled. Yes it could be down to glow plugs. The common factor in all cases is when it hasn't been driven the day before, not sure the affect this would have on glow plugs. Cheers for your reply.

im sure ive read in many other posts that oil from oiled air filters such as k and n stop the maf functioning correctly ( not sure whether this would cause your probs) also it says your fabia is 160bhp and other members have said again in other posts that the OE filter is good for over 200 bhp .......

may be worth cleaning the maf sensor putting a standard filter in and giving it a try for a few days

• Like 1

Ye olde dodge on OAP glow plugs - try heating them up a few times before starting. ( switch on/off a few times). You could also look for someone nearby with VCDS to do a scan

Ye olde dodge on OAP glow plugs - try heating them up a few times before starting. ( switch on/off a few times). You could also look for someone nearby with VCDS to do a scan

wouldn't doing that (on n off with the glow plugs) just draw current from the battery that's not being replaced, thus leaving less power in the battery to crank the engine?

Thanks for the replies - cleaning and re-oiling the air filter was done after I had the recent problems. I'll have to wait until the next time I leave the car a day to see if this has made any difference.

No plans to trade it in just yet. It runs like a dream once going even though there's 100K on clock and it's coming up to 8 years old.

Definitely not the battery - mine's not like that, mine turns over sluggish for a second and then fires straight away. Fuel filter would be a good option to try. Do you notice a nice big plume of black smoke out the back when it does fire? If not, that would support a lack of fuel getting into the cylinders. And if its after its sat there without running for some time.