STILL Looking For a Car For My Brother

MartynVRS

I'm still looking but his heart is still set on a Suzuki Swift Sport and has seen one for sale 50miles away he wants me to take him to see. Now I'm really fussy when it comes to cars and the fact the bloke selling it hasn't been around that long and it's got 36k on an 09 plate and isn't a local car is putting me off. I told him first off that he shouldn't buy the first car he sees unless it really is good.

I'm trying to talk him out of getting a Swift for a few reasons (rare tyres, no spare, stone chip prone paint, crap local dealer) but I really don't know what to recommend next. He needs something nippy/quick that's still decent to insure (SSS will be £1600 fully comp), decent tax and mpg and reliable. I'm thinking he should get something no one else normally thinks off but I'm a bit stumped. Have suggested a 3 series but wasn't fussed.

Any ideas?

I looked at the SSS but actually found it a tad dull to drive. I also looked at the Fiat 500 but the seats were just too narrow..shame as I really wanted one :(

Has he looked at the Vauxhall Corsa, they did a 1.6T SRi for a while. 150bhp decentish economy and modable if required. Look sweet too! I know its a Vauxhall but cracking little car, and the 1.6T SRi is rare!!

Ever since I drove around in a friends for a couple of weeks I have always loved Lupo GTIs. VAG quality and absolutely fantastic fun. I nearly bought one a couple of years ago but bought a Golf Anni instead. OK insurance, decent economy and lovely to drive. I can see myself getting one as a second car when I can afford it.

Neither are close to you but....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201202440793806/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/lupo/make/volkswagen/postcode/ng36hq/keywords/gti/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201203442092371/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/lupo/make/volkswagen/postcode/ng36hq/keywords/gti/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

Granted they are older and higher mileage but just get him to drive one (in anger) and he'll want one.

Think some people on here have had them/have got them

I had the Mk1 Fabia vRS and I did offer it to him but he wants to stick to a petrol. The Lupo is a bit too old for him and if it's anything like the 6n2 Polo I had not that great for drivers with long legs. Both of us have knee problems so if the seat isn't right our knees hurt

An update. Rung my uncle who lives in Aberystwyth where this Swift was to have a look at it. Reported back saying it was a good example. So me and my brother made the 70 mile journey (took 1hr 30m) to see the car. Body work was good, front wheels would have needed a refurb and it was due a service, tyres were about 2-3k off needing changing. I thought to myself these were plenty of points to haggle the price down. We asked for the keys and he jumped inside. His knees were touching the wheel, so he tried moving the seat back. But it didn't, that as far as it went. We then found his feet couldn't get comfy on the pedals let alone his knees. It shouldn't be but I'm convinced that 3dr cars have less legroom. My Polo was a nightmare but my last two Fabias have been really good.

So a wasted journey and now my car is black instead of white thanks to the welsh country roads :@. My car didn't miss a beat though and was a laugh all the way and I'm still amazed at how quickly it covers ground when you want it to.

But now I'm at a loss what to suggest. I keep coming back to Skodas when I sit down and think about it. Either a Mk1 or Mk2 Octavia. But then he think it's a big car and tbh he doesn't need a big car at all so I'm stuck.

The new ibizas are pretty good...?

SWMBO has one.

Good points -

Good looking, well made and comfortable

Bad points -

Avoid Sport with big alloys like the plague it's the fookin loudest car in the world. Road noise is unbearable to me on a bad road.

1.4 petrol is weedy and not that economical. I suspect the Cupra could be just as economical if driven carefully.

Radio controls are diabolical.

Panda 100hp is a nice car but parts can be expensive and hard to get hold of. Friend's Mum had a six week wait for a front bumper.

Going to be hard to beat a Fabia on value for money.

Hyundai i30?

Kia Ceed?

SWMBO has one.

Good points -

Good looking, well made and comfortable

Bad points -

Avoid Sport with big alloys like the plague it's the fookin loudest car in the world. Road noise is unbearable to me on a bad road.

1.4 petrol is weedy and not that economical. I suspect the Cupra could be just as economical if driven carefully.

Radio controls are diabolical.

Panda 100hp is a nice car but parts can be expensive and hard to get hold of. Friend's Mum had a six week wait for a front bumper.

Going to be hard to beat a Fabia on value for money.

Hyundai i30?

Kia Ceed?

panda 100HP would be my recomendation, i dhave driven both that and the swift, and I like the panda ;) lots of tuning parts available too...

Just got a SSS after having a Fabia 1.9TDI (x reg elegance). Suzuki Swift has been great fun so far, seems a bit thirsty, but is a lot more exciting than the Fabia. Really like the look of the Swift. I'm sure I'll have a few complaints (like lack of leg room in the back, although rarely have more than 2 people in my car), and seems there are a few that end up with problems.

Insurance was more than reasonable - worked out same as my Fabia (around £600 a year). There's not much for the same price bracket that appeals. The Fabia VRS is one if people can see past the badge. Mini Cooper was supposedly rivalling it, not sure how they compare on price these days.

Was looking at the twingo 133. Rare but get the feeling it will fall to bits. Gutted about the swift he doesn't fit. Monte's are cheap to insure but expensive and I don't want him getting fed up of it in 6 months as it isn't that quick