Vrs front knocking noise

had same fault on my vrs, had it on the ramp and nothing obvious to see or feel in any of the joints or bushes... very very slight wear marks on the rubber of the front rear wishbone bushes the ones that are complete with the alluminium casing.

replaced both, knocking/bobling noise at slow speed on rough roads GONE!

• Like 1

yeah there was very minimal play in mine was a bit sceptic about changing them esspecially as they were about £65 each from tps!

what i was thinking is that as your wheel goes over a bump and if there is slight play in the rear bush of the front wishbone this will allow the wheel to move forwards and backwards causing added stress on the front bush and that is where the knocking seems to come from.

obviously check for play in all other joints and bushes if nothing found it will probably be these bushes at fault.

there easy to change about 10min a side, remember to mark the position of the bush casing before you undo any bolts so you get the new ones in same position otherwise it will be a trip to have wheel alignment done.

good luck.

I've checked everything and it seems solid. Do you know how much the bushes are from main dealer, or is there a cheaper alternative? I don't want substandard bushes though. Also did you notice an improvement in cornering and traction after you changed the bushes?

davidsr20 - yes it will be your front bush making the knocking but it will be the rear bush causing it because of the added movement in the bush.

georgel - the bushes are about £65 each from tps so from main dealer over counter they will be more..

davidsr20 - yes it will be your front bush making the knocking but it will be the rear bush causing it because of the added movement in the bush.

georgel - the bushes are about £65 each from tps so from main dealer over counter they will be more..

Yes but then the front must be worn no? What milage is on ur car?

it is possible that the fronts are worn yes, in my experience i replaced the rear bushes and the knocking immediatley went just driving out of the workshop.

mine has 70 000miles and was knocking for approx 1-2months prob covered around 700-1000miles in that time.

i was letting it develop whilst keeping an eye/ear on it to diagnose.

You can get them from the 'bay' see : Item number: 350432119392

They are made by TRW who actually make the stuff for VW so are of OEM quality although they don't have the VW stamp and Part nos etc.

Costs £28 each :thumbup:

• Like 1

the console is basically the big aluminium casing around the rubber bush, you can buy rubber or poly bushes seperate and then insert/press them into the casing instead of buying the complete console bush (casing with a bush already in).

I've just picked up a pair of TT consoles with solid wishbone bushes in. They came off a 10 plate TT and cost me £20 delivered, just got to press them into my consoles now.

Be wary about replacing voided bushes for solid. I did this to my wife's SDi fabia and now there is much more engine bourne noise transmitted to the cabin, especially at low revs. Makes a 'booming' sound. Not nice at all.

Really wish i hadn't now :'(

Be wary about replacing voided bushes for solid. I did this to my wife's SDi fabia and now there is much more engine bourne noise transmitted to the cabin, especially at low revs. Makes a 'booming' sound. Not nice at all.

Really wish i hadn't now :'(

Hmm these are solid Audi TT bushes fitted as standard to the TT so I should think they'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two Vrs's over 7 years (80K & 50K) - knocking/bump from front suspension in both cars was the lower arm bushes. Often they 'look' OK but need a good deal of pressure on them to test - tbh - it's worth while getting the whole arm replaced (front bushes are a pain, if not impossible, to press in apparently).

I had several visits to different garages to be told "there's nothing wrong". Don't get fobbed off by someone looking at them and whobbling the wheel. Even on a ramp with those moving plates it didn't show up.

Also, 4 wheel geometry is critical for the feel / handling - don't just get a basic alignment done, get a proper 4 wheel setup carried out on something like a Hunter system.

Just has mine done on my second VRs - massive difference.

I've had two Vrs's over 7 years (80K & 50K) - knocking/bump from front suspension in both cars was the lower arm bushes. Often they 'look' OK but need a good deal of pressure on them to test - tbh - it's worth while getting the whole arm replaced (front bushes are a pain, if not impossible, to press in apparently).

I had several visits to different garages to be told "there's nothing wrong". Don't get fobbed off by someone looking at them and whobbling the wheel. Even on a ramp with those moving plates it didn't show up.

Also, 4 wheel geometry is critical for the feel / handling - don't just get a basic alignment done, get a proper 4 wheel setup carried out on something like a Hunter system.

Just has mine done on my second VRs - massive difference.

Ur exactly rite,it's the small front bushes the make the noise even with little wear,it's also very hard to see the wear in them,there not too much off a pain to change if u make up a threaded bar and plate to pull them out,iv to do my left one soon but I'll prob do both sides,

I test cars every day at work and this is the most common bush to wear and not the large bush.