but doubt I will EVER buy another Skoda

Simply because what should have been a very simply warrent issue is becoming a prolonged fiascio.

Car was booked in for 24 hours,at some reasonable notice , for a known fault, per dealer, now going to be 2 weeks because the electronic part has to come on the BOAT?

JHC

who runs Skoda

Simply because what should have been a very simply warrent issue is becoming a prolonged fiascio.

Car was booked in for 24 hours,at some reasonable notice , for a known fault, per dealer, now going to be 2 weeks because the electronic part has to come on the BOAT?

JHC

who runs Skoda

It is quite common for parts to come via shipping rather than by air. If it's a commonly replaceable part then VW will be buying them by the truck-load and will not be flying them in.

You'd have got the same from any motor manufacturer.

I am aware that bulk parts deliveries are still generally delivered by boat, however surely a VOR warrenty repair justifies the use of an air-mail service.

John Deere tractors (or any other reputable manufacturer?) guarentee supply within 72 hours worldwide.

Anyway the car was up for a test drive with a mechanic, it was then booked in at a later date for 24 hours, volunteered by the dealer.

So I kinda "assumed" that it was a known /recognised fault and that the necessary parts were being ordered in to be waiting for the car when booked in.

Left up Monday am, no word by Wed , so i phoned,

On boat should be in tomorrow ( From the mainland i presumed)

Phoned this Friday morning,

Now told 7 to 10 days, .........but sure you got a courtsey car.

Erm! its a manual and the wife cannot drive it,as her knees are virtually locked with arthritis, hence the DSG purchase.

it was Ok for 24 hours BUT not for 2 weeks.

I/ we like the Octavia & are pleased with our purchase, but it will take some persuading to put us in another Skoda.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by dieseldogg

They should supply a loan car if its undrivable, but its quite common as others say. They should offer a free service like I had when I had to wait 2 weeks for a DSG clutch pack :wonder: :giggle:

It's not fun waiting I understand, but it's true some parts are not as on demand as other parts, most things I've ordered or needed have been next day with Skoda, I don't know if its due to the weather on the other end of europe thats been terrible...this might also delay some things :(

Good luck with your waiting!

Ah!

I forget the real "boker" I suggested that I would return the Roomster this afternoon and bring our own car away until a suitable economical automatic loaner was available.

Sorry Sir we cannot let you drive your car as the mechanic regards it to be dangerous.

Excuse me!, I have been drawing this to Skodas attention for 9 months, with a detailed account of the precise behavouir and the apparent causes for, to be told that is the way the engineers intended the transmission to work???????

yes ............the above is exactly what I intended to say

Skoda UK ( & I could name the individual) gave a pile of waffle about temperature sensors and overheating clutch packs despite being told that this issue had manifested itself repeatedly when the car was stone cold.

I then suggested that perhaps these sensors were faulty or malfunctioning.

I also told him that my wife described the behavouir as "dangerous" but that I would settle for disconcerting.

JHC

I am currently waiting for a reply from Skoda UK

Edited by dieseldogg

Surely its cheaper to DHL a part overnight to the UK that's keeping a customer's car of the road than it is to provide a loan car?

That's before we consider how peeved the customer is going to be that their car is off the road for days!

I waited 3 weeks for the frontbumper (2010) non vrs, when had the acident.

Have a mate who had the rear side trunk window on the break smashed and is waiting for 5 weeks.

Answer to all this, easy at least here, if it were a VW/Audi part in stock or 1 week, the main dealer importer is the same person.

Maybe he intends to be like this so people will get fed up with skoda.

Seat parts are fast because the importer is someone else.

Offer to get the part yourself or can you they hire you a replacement auto.

As said above parts can be problematic with any dealer and there is a lot of snow in Europe.

I would imaging that the delay is because skoda dont have the parts in stock and are on back order from the manufacturer.

Most of the items will be made by someone other than skoda.

If they have had a run of them failing they will be waiting for a delivery to the factory.

JHC

who runs Skoda

I feel you pain, I waited 3 months for my A/C system to be replaced, had to take the car in 4 times for different warranty experts to investigate and because it was a warranty issue I was not entitled to a dealer loan car while the repair was being carried out. Love the car but the dealer service was sh"te - service improved once skoda customer service dept got sick of my phone calls!!

Edited by Longdog

Seems a common gripe... I've struggled with nearly every dealer I've been to, so much so that I'm probably moving away from Skoda now despite being in the market for a new vehicle.

They're great cars, superb value for money - but, if something breaks, the dealers just can't fix it. I took mine in five times for an engine fault which may have been multiple things but nothing conclusive ever showed up on the damned diagnostics so they didn't know what to do; it's now been in three times, 8 days in total, over two months to solve a satnav problem... each time, there's some excuse for not doing what they planned to do... and after all that, they've concluded that it's probably a dodgy aerial which now needs to be ordered in (so no car over the weekend). Hardly impressive, given that this what the first suggestion was back in December, and it would have been an obvious part to change if there were no other ideas. Oh, and the diagnostics plug mysteriously broke itself somewhere in the process as well.

My guess is that the dealers are run on a shoestring because of the prices of the cars and the whole "budget" ethos. That means that they don't have the staff, nor does any part of the supply chain routinely carry the parts. They bring a car in first thing, but don't get round to looking at it until later - by which stage they're already running out of time if it's more than routine. They also swap parts as an absolute last resort - so no diagnostic swapout here, they can't afford it.

Maybe higher-cost cars fund higher service levels... or maybe I'm just being too sympathetic...

Maybe there is something wrong with SUK dealers. I had a call the other night from MORI organization asking a lot of detailed questions about the service I get (or don't get) from SUK dealership. This was followed up the following night to check my answers and for more detail.

Before I retired I had company cars and if and when a fault occurred the car was dumped at a dealer and another one picked up. My Octavia is the first car I've bought in decades so I take a bit more notice of things such as cost of insurance, tyres, oil, dealer service, etc etc. There is no doubt that Skoda dealers don't have that veneer of suaveness (smugness?) and efficiency that say VW Volvo Mercedes BMW have, but then you get what you pay for. My Octavia creaks and rattles like no other car I've driven, and I fear the DSG is not going to last much beyond the 3 year warranty. But otherwise it's not a bad car to drive and has lots of room. On balance I will not be buying another one when I trade mine in later this year, the thought of another 3 years of rattles and wobbly DSG is just too much.

I presume that you have Skoda Assistance in ROI? If so call them, tell them that your car is undriveable as per dealer and you would like a Auto hire car.

Would also help your case on here if you stated what the issue was and what the part is they are having trouble locating.

Well I can say that Skoda are no worse than any other marque out there. And I worked in dealer parts dept for 13 years.

The dealers cant be expected to carry every part for every model. And now the cars are so reliant on seneors and ECUs that problems are hard to find,

Over the last 10 years I have had 5 company cars and have had some minor issues with some but not all.

My 1st was a Honda Civic which I ran for 80,000 miles in 18 months and was very reliable but ate front brake discs.

My 2nd was a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi 90bhp Ambiente which I ran for 80,000 in 20 months and other than servicing never had a problem.

My 3rd was a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi 130bhp Ambiente SE again ran it to 80,000 in 20 months with no issues.

My 4th was a BMW 118D es Edition which I ran to 98,000 in 23 months and I had the drivers seat base replaced twice.

This car then went to another member of the company who put another 4,000 miles in 2 months before the engine destroyed itself.

My current car is an Octavia 1.8 TSi Elegance which is a Sept 2010 reg car which now has 67,000 miles on the clock and so far has had a drivers seat base and cover, 2 front shockers, an engine coolant pipe and a housing of some sort on the engine which was leaking coolant.

So some have problems and some dont.

In my landrover days you would not belive some of the items we had to replace due to being poor quality.

I presume that you have Skoda Assistance in ROI?

dieseldogg is in the UK as per posts and location :wonder:

I am currently waiting for a reply from Skoda UK

dieseldogg whos got it JMH or MS?

JMH, I would state that I have no beef with JMH, when I contacted them, I did acknowledge that I had not bought the car there, I do realize that with warrenty matters this should not be a issue but none the less.

JMH gave us a courtsey car quite willingly, this was however only to be for 24 hours, which after nearly a week turned into 7 to 10 days before the part would be in, so call it 2 weeks.

we currently only have one car on the road and as My wife cannot drive a manual, so therefore the loaner as supplied was unsuitable for the extended loan.

We did finally get an automatic delivered to ,our door last night, as a result of me spending an inordinate amount of time on the phone to Skoda UK.

My beef is that I suspect that this is a problem known to Skoda or VW, yet they will not desseminate info to the dealers,I did assume that with the couple of weeks between the Skoda mechanic witnessing &

acknowledging the problem and the car being taken in, that obviousley the necessary kit of parts would be waiting, else why would the dealer tell me 24 hours???

As for that Skoda crowd in Lurgan, I hope they rot in hell, they did not even have the courtsey to reply to my three civil non commital phone calls this week.

I was asking to speak to the service manager, with whom I had had a long conversation previousley to simply communicate that I had been correct all along and that since as far as am aware and have been informed the mechanics did not even ever leave the back yard with our car, despite being clearly told that the problem only manifested itself on a slope at light throttle openings.

So little wonder thay could not find the fault, as they did not really try too hard too do so all the while leaving my wife in the showroom quite ignored for several hours inlc over the lunchtime period

I had told both the service manager & the mechanic that my wife had been in the car at the time & could tell them exactly how the fault occuredand

Plus to be told by Skoda UK that this was the way the engineers had designed the transmission to work?????

My wife described it as a "dangerous" fault, I would not have put it so strongly, but hey that was the exact word the Skoda mechanic used as well.

Hence their refusal to allow us to continue to drive the car.

I could only comment that they had seen fit to tell me the car was ok before and that we had been driving it for 9 months with this fault, incl through europe.

JHC

Edited by dieseldogg