Snow

Had to go out last night in the hight of the storm to rescue my wife who was coming home from in laws down south (Mercedes don't do well in snow) and all I can say is Scout with winter tyres, wow it's unstoppable. Some of the hills around here on the edge of the peak district (Holmfirth) can be a challenge in slippery conditions but the Scout went up without a complaint, even keeping up with land rover defenders. What a great car!

Second that :)

Came home from a meal last night about 11pm and with about 3-4" of fresh snow everywhere the Scout didn't feel any different to driving on clear roads, even an attempt to test the traction (empty car park obviously) only brought a protest from my wife and not the car or tyres .... I'll not repeat her words here :)

The biggest risk was othe road users getting stuck and backing up the traffic. So Good Year Ultragrip 8s all round work really well. Also was good to try them as we drive to Austria next weekend!

PS just found out that the 'M+S' symbol on a winter tyre is German for 'slush & snow' (Matsch und Schnee) and not 'Mud & Snow' as I've read elsewhere.

Had to go out last night in the hight of the storm to rescue my wife who was coming home from in laws down south (Mercedes don't do well in snow) and all I can say is Scout with winter tyres, wow it's unstoppable. Some of the hills around here on the edge of the peak district (Holmfirth) can be a challenge in slippery conditions but the Scout went up without a complaint, even keeping up with land rover defenders. What a great car!

Well I hate to contradict you but my neighbour's mercedes works brilliantly in the snow... Once he switches to his winter tyres. Last winter -16 and waist deep snow outside my house and he was cutting about in the Merc no bother :p

Sent from my motorola xoom using tapatalk

Yet again my winters were excellent - travelled back from Ilkely to Rossendale late yesterday in all the snow.

No problems at all - the M65 was treacherous in places but no problems at all for me with the winters on - saw a few just wheel spinning away and a Golf that couldn't move on our street when I got home.

Had no trouble with my Nankang winter tyres. The traction control light did not come on once driving about in fresh snow. Well worth the money with the added bonus of feeling a bit smug passing cars worth so much more than mine that are stuck in the snow. :thumbup:

Well chuffed with my scout and winter tyres. Are in Suffolk with 6 inches of snow and no issues. Sat in car park watching more expensive cars slipping and spinning about. Found I was more worried about other road users than the scout misbehaving.

Running Continental Winter Contact TS 830's on a 1.4 DSG (only 2 wheel drive) worked fine in 3-4 inches of fresh snow today, DSG fine too (no snow mode) yet to try steep hills yet..

Does anyone know if it 'auto detects' cold temp/snow?

I don't have winters on mine (I've got vredestein sessantas on) but had to drive through snow last night, as you can imagine the road surface was uneven and plenty of wheel spin.

Out of interest, will it have knocked my wheel alignment out or will it be ok? Only had tyres fitted and 4wheel alignment done last week.

Well I hate to contradict you but my neighbour's mercedes works brilliantly in the snow... Once he switches to his winter tyres. Last winter -16 and waist deep snow outside my house and he was cutting about in the Merc no bother :p

Sent from my motorola xoom using tapatalk

Sorry but I couldn't afford to put winters on both cars so as the scout being 4x4 and therefore the one we use in snow generally she got the winter boots.

Sadly on summer tyres the a150 does struggle somewhat on the steep Pennine hills in thick snow!

I've struggled to get any interesting slips, ESP, etc going in the Scout with Dunlop WinterSport 4Ds on, driving in fresh snow on Sunday, including some steep hills. The only difference it seems to normal conditions is the stopping distance - I would say an emergency stop from 40 took about twice the distance, and the ABS worked hard. Overall, I'm very happy with the performance of the tyres.

I have the Vector 4Seasons on my Scout. Went out Sunday morning and they were great on the fresh snow.

I did have one slip later in the day when turning left off a main road into thick gloopy, icy slush, but so did the LR Discovery in front of me! :giggle:

Overall I am quite pleased with the tyres since I have had them on - fitted last August. No change in mpg, seem quieter than the previous Pirellis and plenty of grip in both wet and dry conditions.

I have the Vector 4Seasons on my Scout. Went out Sunday morning and they were great on the fresh snow.

I did have one slip later in the day when turning left off a main road into thick gloopy, icy slush, but so did the LR Discovery in front of me! :giggle:

Overall I am quite pleased with the tyres since I have had them on - fitted last August. No change in mpg, seem quieter than the previous Pirellis and plenty of grip in both wet and dry conditions.

I had the vector 4 seasons fitted in december and I'm well impressed too. Also mpg has improved (although I suspect it may be due to driving softly in the conditions). Absolutely powered up the steep hill my other half lives on in the peak district in the 4" snow the other day while the rangerover sport behind me slithered its way up.

So far, well happy with the tyres and the car in these conditions. :thumbup:

We had some snow at the weekend and also some overnight. The Goodyear Ultragrip Performance 2's are just awesome - feels like you have velcro when you drive on snow or slush - absolutely no slippy- slidey like you'd have with a set of summer tyres.

6850718587_21a195b076_z.jpg

6850720891_3a5bd6161b_z.jpg

Judging by the comments here, I must get some winter tyres. My Octavia vRS let go at the back (!) at 25mph in less than 2 inches of slushy snow. Fortunately there was loads of room to collect it, so no harm done. I wouldn't normally be too bothered about a bit of slippy slidey in the snow but it did it again (at the back) in dry conditions exiting a Tesco car park. Clearly fat, low profile, summer tyres don't work at sub-zero temperatures even in the dry!

Or wifey has clonked it on a kerb and not told me!

A mini with Conti TS810 and Octy TDI with Nokian winter tyres have been working well.

A34/M4 were unploughed and had a good build up of snow and I didn't have any issues at all.

Mini has been good on snow too, so it's certainly not a bad thing.

I figure the cost is less than an insurance excess/increase and spread over 4 years is even better.

Now all I need to do, is get hold of some yellow headlight bulbs, because the dipped beams reflecting off the snow is distracting when you're out in it for 2 or 3 hours.