improve sidelights

The Octavia 2 is the first car I have had where the sidelights are not fitted into the headlamps. IMHO this gave much better front visibility.

Has anyone any suggestions on how the sidelights can be improved? Is there any way to add lights to the headlamp / dip beam lamps?

I considered these but with only one SMD5050 LED pointing forwards I dont think they would be any better

ebay led sidelights : they are too long and wont fit.

Sorry yes its a 2009 Octavia 2 1.9tdi estate (with eyebrows).

Also can anyone tell me does this model have rear fog lights?

Finally I fitted these. Not the greatest but brighter and more sparkly than the original bulbs. I put them in the rear lights too; dead easy to fit and twice as bright, a BIG improvement.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item231dc529e8

Check the lamps use 5050 SMD's - more smaller ones doesnt make them better.

I also fitted upgraded dip beam lights - see below.

Edited by john.errington

Are you talking about the pre-facelift or post facelift?

I actually find the sidelights on my pre-FL brighter than those situated near to the dipped headlight on other cars. The low light level from the 5W bulb is lost in such a large expanse of space. With the pre-FL Octavia having the side light in with the indicator means it benefits from sharing the 'focused' lense of the indicator and thus to me looks much brighter.

On the FL Octavia though I agree, the sidelight or 'eyebrow' along the top of the larger headlight cluster is pretty poor.

The best Octavia sidelights I've seen are on the vRS which uses the front LED DRL's but dimmed. The 'space hopper handle' shaped ones on xenon equipped Audi A3's are better still!

Sidelights? as in parking lights?

i would have thought they were not intended to improve visibility :rofl: thats what headlights are for :giggle:

I think he means to be seen rather than to see.

Agreed if in doubt dipped headlights should be used but side lights (not parking lights) are perfectly fine in certain conditions.

The sidelights are something I would like to change in mine as well. They are quite a sickly yellow colour IMO. I upgraded the main and dipped beams to some good Philips ones, but coming to the sidelight W5W bulbs I could not figure out how to get to them without a set of long bent-nose pliers.

This was with the headlights pulled out but not disconnected as they did not seem to want to let go of the wiring loom...

Any advice out there?

It's missing how to change the sidelights though. I assume the I was trying to unclip the right thing, it caused pain due to sharp edges digging into my knuckles and I was unsuccessful in loosening them.

Also the right method of disconnecting the wiring block to remove the whole headlight unit would be good.

Also the right method of disconnecting the wiring block to remove the whole headlight unit would be good.

I used a small flat-blade screwdriver to lift the outer connector from the inner connector.

The Octavia 2 is the first car I have had where the sidelights are not fitted into the headlamps. IMHO this gave much better front visibility.

Has anyone any suggestions on how the sidelights can be improved? Is there any way to add lights to the headlamp / dip beam lamps?

I considered these but with only one SMD5050 LED pointing forwards I dont think they would be any better

ebay led sidelights

Sorry yes its a 2009 Octavia 2 1.9tdi estate (with eyebrows).

Also can anyone tell me does this model have rear fog lights?

As far as rear fog lights are concerned, all vehicles are obliged by law to have at least one rear fog light. However, the Octavia has TWO rear fog light fitted complete with bulbs, but they always seem to come from the factory with just one working (driver's side). If you have a pre-facelift model Octavia the other one can easily be activated by someone with a VCDS unit, but the facelift cannot - at least until someone comes up with a solution.

Mac

If you want a cheaper and brighter solution swap the bulbs for those of a model with Xenons ... Same bulb type,same wattage but rather than clear the bulb is blue but when lit it is pure white and much more bright than standard yellowish ... Did them on mine when fitted the Philips H7 bulbs too ... Got them from the main agent ( the side lamp bulbs ) ...

Sidelights? as in parking lights?

i would have thought they were not intended to improve visibility :rofl: thats what headlights are for :giggle:

Thanks Dallan; headlights are to improve vision - ie to help you see.

Sidelights (parking lights, whatever) are to make the car more visible (ie to improve visibility, the ability to be visible) esp when parked at night.

:sighs:

As far as rear fog lights are concerned, all vehicles are obliged by law to have at least one rear fog light. However, the Octavia has TWO rear fog light fitted complete with bulbs, but they always seem to come from the factory with just one working (driver's side). If you have a pre-facelift model Octavia the other one can easily be activated by someone with a VCDS unit, but the facelift cannot - at least until someone comes up with a solution.

Mac

Thanks Mac - I discovered how to turn them on. Turn light switch to put headlights on, pull centre, switch body pulls out, push switch body back in, hold it in and pull centre out. A bit unnecessarily complicated methinks.

Thanks Dallan; headlights are to improve vision - ie to help you see.

Sidelights (parking lights, whatever) are to make the car more visible (ie to improve visibility, the ability to be visible) esp when parked at night.

:sighs:

I am of the same thinking as you but unfortunately rule 113 of the highway code muddles the heck out of itself on thematter . I more so before DRLs tended to follow the good example set in many other countries and leave dipped headlights on at all times whilst in motion.

If you want a cheaper and brighter solution swap the bulbs for those of a model with Xenons ... Same bulb type,same wattage but rather than clear the bulb is blue but when lit it is pure white and much more bright than standard yellowish ... Did them on mine when fitted the Philips H7 bulbs too ... Got them from the main agent ( the side lamp bulbs ) ...

I have xenon's as standard in my pre-fl octy and the yellowness is quite, quite noticeable. Are you talking about fl models cos i'd like to change mine when they go for something closer to the xenon white?

I have xenon's as standard in my pre-fl octy and the yellowness is quite, quite noticeable. Are you talking about fl models cos i'd like to change mine when they go for something closer to the xenon white?

I got the below last Nov for my pre-FL 2006 Octy with Xenons, no issues with Number plate ones 239 Festoon...but the 501's had to be turned around due to polarity (I didn't realise that).

239LED2CAN-2 239 CAN Bus LED Festoon Bulb 36mm - White

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/239-CAN-B...CANBUSLED3.html

501CAN5-2 501 Can-bus Super Bright 360 Degree 5 LED bulbs (must be under a different no. now)

Looking under Octy 2006, get this list,

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-W5W-led-bulbs/?bulb_search=c22447&end=front

These look like the 501's I got

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-Can-bus-Super-Bright-360-Degree-5-LED-bulbs.html?bulb_search=c22447

Nice light off them compared to xenon.

I have a fl model, and i work nights driving all over the country and would love to get some better dipped bulbs, but all this canbus stuff confusses the hell out of me, xenons im guessing dont drop straight in, if anyone can suggest me some brighter bulbs for the h1 55w units that i seem to always changing.

I have a fl model, and i work nights driving all over the country and would love to get some better dipped bulbs, but all this canbus stuff confusses the hell out of me, xenons im guessing dont drop straight in, if anyone can suggest me some brighter bulbs for the h1 55w units that i seem to always changing.

Conventional H1/ .. H7 etc lamps are made to standard dimensions so xenons will go straight in.

DO NOT be tempted to put LED types in, they will be dimmer and not focus properly because the light source is MUCH too big; the optics of the headlight unit are designed to match the size and position of the filament.

I fitted 100W lamps to my rally car, took them out after 1 run because they were nowhere near as good as quality 55W bulbs.

Look for some Ring +120% blubs. Put them in my Octy and they made a huge difference! I got mine from autobulbsdirect, but apparently they can be found much cheaper.

• 3 months later...

I hit on some Philips VisionPlus +50% H7 bulbs - on ebay

They are brighter and whiter than the "generic" H7's that were in, a big improvement. Probably Xenon filled.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/car-lamps/visionplus-h7-12-v-55-w-12972vpb1/prd/;jsessionid=891AC60AD73DA2370B2A2B9C84954247.app102-drp1

Reminder: DONT use 80W or 100W bulbs, they WILL burn out your wiring and they WONT focus properly.

And blue coated bulbs are a waste - the blue coating filters out red and yellow light (which is VERY useful in fog) so they produce LESS light than a clear bulb. If you really MUST have blue, go for a HID conversion.