2.0 TSI To Remap Or Not To Remap?

JAB

Track my Skoda reports that the 2.0 TSI DSG Elegance Estate Ihave ordered has just been built. When I ordered the car the dealer suggestedthe possibility of them doing a REVO remap which they said would improve fueleconomy, torque and power.

I know that the 2.0 TSI engine will be more than adequate formy needs and am not concerned about warranty issues (which I know have beendiscussed at length in other posts) but I am interested in what real worlddifference the remap would make especially compared to my current 170 TDI DSG(not remapped).

Am looking for some information from members who haveremapped this engine to answer the following questions to help me decide whetheror not to do the remap:

1) I tow a large trailer tent around Europe for around 5 weeks each year and am pleasedwith how easily my current car maintained 80 mph whilst towing up steep stretchesof motorway. Will the standard torque of the TSI engine be able to achieve thesame result or would the extra torque from the remap be needed?

2) Although I am aware that mpg figures are dependenton driving what sort of gains in mpg have members had following a TSI remap? (thedealer quoted up to 9 mpg improvement)

3) Again I know insurance premiums are based on thedriver and their driving history but what sort of increases in insurance are likely?

4) What differences do you notice in day to daydriving following a remap?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

John

I've found that the power delivery of the vRS TSI is more than enough for the traction.

I've run a 1.8T 4x4 estate for 6 years with no wheel spin, my current FWD does not behave half as well.

Get used to the new one, then think about a remap.

The petrol consumpsion (?) is all about how big the loud pedel is, certainly no worse.

Ok, I have a 2011 vRS 2.0TSI, remapped after 8000 miles.

Power / torque figures as follows-

std 200bhp / 207lb

stg1 255bhp / 325lb (rolling roaded)

CR170 Std

170bhp / 225lb

So in answer to your question regarding torque, you will have absolutely no problem! It is immensely capable.

In terms of mpg I hear some talk of gains from the remap, personally I found little difference, but considering the power gains I was more than happy.

Insurance, expect about 10% increase.

I would definitely recommend the remap, the car is transformed beyond compare.

Ok, I have a 2011 vRS 2.0TSI, remapped after 8000 miles.

Power / torque figures as follows-

std 200bhp / 207lb

stg1 255bhp / 325lb (rolling roaded)

CR170 Std

170bhp / 225lb

So in answer to your question regarding torque, you will have absolutely no problem! It is immensely capable.

In terms of mpg I hear some talk of gains from the remap, personally I found little difference, but considering the power gains I was more than happy.

Insurance, expect about 10% increase.

I would definitely recommend the remap, the car is transformed beyond compare.

Thanks for your detaild answers.:) I will maybe wait a while then consider the remap.

The old Diesel torque record on the turntable again. ppl should have learned in the meantime that torque of the machine does not decide. Its the Nm at the wheel. Let us welcome the long transmisson ratio of the diesel gear boxes. End of story.

Edited by digidoctor

The old Diesel torque record on the turntable again. ppl should have learned in the meantime that torque of the machine does not decide. Its the Nm at the wheel. Let us welcome the long transmisson ratio of the diesel gear boxes. End of story.

With 325lb of torque it is easily slotted into a higher gear to start with. :) 4th will go comfortably from 20-100mph, how long to you want it?

With 325lb of torque it is easily slotted into a higher gear to start with. :) 4th will go comfortably from 20-100mph, how long to you want it?

It won't be very long before the clutch goes doing that!!

Didn't say I drive my car everywhere like that! Just it is capable of doing it.

It will do 0-60 in 6 secs (ish), but don't nip to the shops like I'm at Santa Pod.

I wasn't implying you did :)

I mentioned it because I went through 2 clutches in my last vRS because I never used to gear down and just used the torque whilst I had large loads/4 people in the car.

The first time Skoda replaced under goodwill (they knew it was mapped as I told them) as it went at 8k miles (car was mapped at 4k miles) the second time when it went at 13k miles I was told to jog on (which I fully expected) and had to fit a Sachs Clutch which was rated to 400lb/ft.

I did some research as to why the clutch was going and found that on petrol cars the biggest killer is doing a lot of acceleration in high gear from low revs. So I changed my driving style and now I always gear down before accelerating unless i'm already in a sufficiently low enough gear.

I wasn't implying you did :)

I mentioned it because I went through 2 clutches in my last vRS because I never used to gear down and just used the torque whilst I had large loads/4 people in the car.

The first time Skoda replaced under goodwill (they knew it was mapped as I told them) as it went at 8k miles (car was mapped at 4k miles) the second time when it went at 13k miles I was told to jog on (which I fully expected) and had to fit a Sachs Clutch which was rated to 400lb/ft.

I did some research as to why the clutch was going and found that on petrol cars the biggest killer is doing a lot of acceleration in high gear from low revs. So I changed my driving style and now I always gear down before accelerating unless i'm already in a sufficiently low enough gear.

Must admit it is really easy (too easy!) to not bother changing down.

I am amazed at how quickly your clutch(es) went. I'm at 11000m at the moment (remapped at 8000m) and all seems well, but will bear in mind the heads up you've given.

BTW how much for the uprated clutch? does it feel much heavier?

I've got an FL now that i bought new in June last year. This one is DSG so hopefully no more issues.

The Clutch and Flywheel fitted was about £1400 iirc (it was 5 yrs ago and i had some other work done at the same time)

The clutch pedal is harder to press but it isn't really noticeable unless you have either just driven one without and get in or you drive an uprated one for a while and get in a normal one. Having said that i noticed straight away (as i was used to the car) but i quickly got used to it and never noticed.

The only person who used to complain was the wife when she got stuck in traffic :rofl:

The only person who used to complain was the wife when she got stuck in traffic :rofl:

Why was she allowed out of the kitchen :-)

2.0 TSI should be a lovely engine to map, and would probably be quicker all round than a 3.6 V6, with a reputable map and a couple of other tweaks. I would not hesitate.

• Like 1

Why was she allowed out of the kitchen :-)

We weren't married at that point so i had to behave ;)

2.0 TSI should be a lovely engine to map, and would probably be quicker all round than a 3.6 V6, with a reputable map and a couple of other tweaks. I would not hesitate.

I heard that too :p

I've just been reading up on Remapping (for diesels admittedly) and it seems to me that if you have your engines remapped you are setting yourself up for the possibility of:

• shorter servicing intervals (=extra cost)
  • higher levels of demand/wear on the clutch (=extra cost)
  • increased wear on the turbo (=extra cost)
  • greater levels of the need for replacement parts that will wear out faster (=extra cost)
  • possibly increased insurance premiums (=extra cost)

and probably some others I've missed out..... whats the point????? If you pick the right car/engine for your needs in the first place, why add all these extra costs and potential problems? I would have thought that the overall increase in mpg would be easily outweighed by all these extra costs?

Maybe I'm out of touch with things but surely the way modern engines are developed through on-going R&D, it's better to stick with what the engine/car was designed for in the first place?

No doubt there will be many on here who will totally disagree with me.... c'est la vie!

John

I had my last car remapped what you do get is better torque and fuel consumption plus car just seems to drive better.

having a remap doesn't mean you have to drive about at full throttle all the time and put every thing under stress thats only for the nobs in this world

• Like 1

I had my last car remapped what you do get is better torque and fuel consumption plus car just seems to drive better.

having a remap doesn't mean you have to drive about at full throttle all the time and put every thing under stress thats only for the nobs in this world

A sensible answer :-) more power, more torque, not change in mpg for me on my Shark map, but a much much better driving experience, and it's not like it's under 100% load all the time. Using a good quality fuel, having a sensible warm up and warm down procedure should lead to zero problems with a reputable map.

My old octy mk2 vrs was revo stage 2 and on variable servicing, going for 17k before the service indicator popped up, not to shabby with my driving style and journey types.

All you are doing is optimising what you already have present in the car, a good tuner will know how to safely make these optimisations.

• Like 2

I've just been reading up on Remapping (for diesels admittedly) and it seems to me that if you have your engines remapped you are setting yourself up for the possibility of:

• shorter servicing intervals (=extra cost)
  • higher levels of demand/wear on the clutch (=extra cost)
  • increased wear on the turbo (=extra cost)
  • greater levels of the need for replacement parts that will wear out faster (=extra cost)
  • possibly increased insurance premiums (=extra cost)

and probably some others I've missed out..... whats the point????? If you pick the right car/engine for your needs in the first place, why add all these extra costs and potential problems? I would have thought that the overall increase in mpg would be easily outweighed by all these extra costs?

Maybe I'm out of touch with things but surely the way modern engines are developed through on-going R&D, it's better to stick with what the engine/car was designed for in the first place?

No doubt there will be many on here who will totally disagree with me.... c'est la vie!

John

Yup i do :)

I mapped my last vRS at 4k Miles, I then spent circa £8k tuning it and had it running 270bhp and 300lb/ft

It was serviced as per the varaible service at approx every 15k miles. The only problem i had was the clutch and that was my own fault. Plenty of people had no issues at the same state of tune.I sold the car on at 67k miles and it is still going now with no issues and has been serviced by Skoda the same as it would have been if it remained standard.

My car had what some would call a hard life for the first 17k miles as i was living in Germany and used the Autobahn a lot.

As Tony has said follow the normal proceedures and drive normally you shoudln't have any issues with modern engines.

• Like 1

vRS Carl - you spent almost 8k tuning it up?????? Oh well, easy come easy go.... you're not a banker by any chance are you? Why not buy an Audi RS8 in the first place an be dome with it?????? :giggle:

No such thing as an Audi RS8 :p

No I'm not a banker. I owned the car for 4 years. I have tuned/modified my last 3 Cars as its what I like to do along with keeping it clean/detailing them.

It's actually worked out not too bad as the brakes/ARB,s and intercooler all fit my new FL one so it wasn't as if it was money wasted.

Plus I got £1.5k back selling the parts that wouldn't fit and an extra £1k trade in price for putting it back to stock.

£8k is nothing compared to some people and for the performance the car had i would have needed to buy something at around the £45k mark (new) to compete out the box.

I think I meant the R8 - my comments were tongue in cheek and I was just taking an attempted humorous poke....hey ho! - failed again.

I knew it was a humorous poke hence i put the :p smiley in my response.

The rest of it was just to explain for anyone interested as to why i did it. :)