Good Cheap Long Lasting Tyres?

VRS Lloyd

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent cheapish long lasting tyres for my VRS? Because the toyo proxes I have at the minute seem to vanish within no time at all and I can't afford to keep replacing them. The rear are fine its the front I have had to replace twice so far :(

Cheers in advance

I've just had two Goodyear efficient grip put on mine. Has improved the mpg over Avon ZZ3's, which lasted about 17k miles. I'm hoping they'll last a lot longer. My driving style is mostly easy on the tyres too.

If you have a Formula 1 autocentre nearby they do a price promise which gets any comparable tyres for £5 less. Might be worth considering. I used tyreshopper as a comparison as they were the cheapest I could find fully fitted online.

Hope that helps a little!

Just stuck some Barum Bravuris 2's on mine.

They were pretty cheap (can't remember how much) and seem to get some very good reviews. Seem good so far and even performed very well in the recent snow.

I find that I rarely see the traction control light flashing anymore whereas it was a daily occurence on the cheapo tyres that were on before.

Phil

What sort of distance have you covered per pair of tyres and what Is your driving style?

They have lasted around 6-8 months, don't know the exact mileage but I do travel around 300 miles a week average and my driving style isn't boy racer or anything like that, I go the speed limits and then sometimes a bit faster depending on the road. I do live in the countryside with a lot of rough road, potholes, gravel, dirt etc which also means I have to clean my car a lot more often :(

I ran Vredestein Sportrac 3's on my Octavia II until it was taken out by some idiot, they were cheaper than T1R's but gave similar levels of grip in the dry and much better in the wet/snow. They were also a fair bit cheaper from Camskill :)

Just stuck some Barum Bravuris 2's on mine.

They were pretty cheap (can't remember how much) and seem to get some very good reviews. Seem good so far and even performed very well in the recent snow.

I find that I rarely see the traction control light flashing anymore whereas it was a daily occurence on the cheapo tyres that were on before.

Phil

Ive had them on for 15k. still have roughly 10k left in them. brilliant tyres IMO. match the goodyear GSD'3 i had before.

Also according to my paperwork, the previous owner had the first barum bravuris on for nearly 45k

just a quick pointer, when was the last time you had your tracking done? mine was shall we say a bit out (it shredded four brand new falken 912's in under a month) and in that one time i only lit the front tyres up for a split second when they were dancing on ice. i now run yokohoma sdrive to say the least and they have made it past the month barrier!! hoorah, hopefully will get a year out of them (i do 15-20 k a year easy)

Ben

just a quick pointer, when was the last time you had your tracking done? mine was shall we say a bit out (it shredded four brand new falken 912's in under a month) and in that one time i only lit the front tyres up for a split second when they were dancing on ice. i now run yokohoma sdrive to say the least and they have made it past the month barrier!! hoorah, hopefully will get a year out of them (i do 15-20 k a year easy)

Ben

Haven't had the tracking looked at since i bought it so yeah, i will have a look into that.

Cheers for pointing it out :)

Lloyd

Haven't had the tracking looked at since i bought it so yeah, i will have a look into that.

Cheers for pointing it out :)

Lloyd

Have a look on the camskill website,iv got falken 912`s on the front of my vrs,they are very good and at £56 a tyre,i doubt you will get much better for the price.

Camskill had rainsport 2s in stock on Friday... £65ish a corner, they're great tyres but I don't know how long they last...my last set of proxes lasted 5 months and the best part of 10k until they were very illegal. The rears were still legal but I think it's something about the front end heaviness of the fabia and the soft compound of the toyos that means I chew them.

Have a look on the camskill website,iv got falken 912`s on the front of my vrs,they are very good and at £56 a tyre,i doubt you will get much better for the price.

Thanks mate, just placed the order for 2 Falkens :)

Lloyd

P.s thanks to everyone else too :)

I've just noticed my tracking was out today and although it looks like my tread is ok when looking on the inside there is a bald mark around the whole tyre of both sides :/

Was running continental Sport Contacts 2 and have to say they wear very quick. Looked on here to see what is best and have booked car in tomorrow for Hankook V12 Evo K110 - Hopefully they will last longer and of course have booked the tracking as well to be sorted

I've driven a lot of miles in my motoring history, on various cars and in my opinion, budget tyres are a false economy, and certainly not suited to the VRS.

Personally, on my cars I usually get better mileage from decent tyres than budgets, meaning the cost per mile is less.

I now exclusively run Eagle F1 GSD3's on my VRS, now on about my 7th pair. I get about a year or 8-10k out of the fronts. However the worst performing tyres I've ever had fitted were the OEM continental premium contact 2's (£130 a corner), which lasted less than 3k, which was shocking. Although they gripped really well!

Plus 'long life' tyres means a hard compound, equating into less grip. There may be a moment in your life when you need to stop really, really quickly, and you'll wish you spent that extra £20 a corner to get the premium compounds, and it may save your, or someone elses life.

Personally, I would NEVER fit a budget tyres to a performance car. But that's just me, I'm a bit OCD, or perhaps getting sensible in my old age :giggle:

I'm not saying you're wrong to fit budgets, if it suits your driving style, then fine. However, if you are an enthusiastic driver, please remember that those 4 bits of rubber is all that is keeping you attached to the road surface..

^^^ good thing the vRS isnt a performance car :lol:

As standard, 150% of the torque of a Honda S2000? 200% when tuned slightly? All through the front wheels.. I'd call that performance / fecking bonkers :giggle:

I've tried many tyres, few compare to the GSD3's. Lend me the Barum's and I'll give them a go - certainly would want to try before I buy. :thumbup:

Not wanting to upset anyone, I quite like the VRS and in Fabia terms it's the performance model in the range but comparing it to an S2000 on the basis of torque delivery is something you'd do in top trumps, not the real world. Another equally pointless example is a JCB 8250 Fastrack can produce 1179nm of torque which is only 71nm (or a GWizz and a half) short of a standard Veyron (1250nm) but can only manage 40mph on an open road, a GWizz has 52nm of torque and tops out at 50mph despite being able to produce 1127 fewer nm of torque the GWizz would win a drag race between the two under normal circumstances just because that's how it's geared.

Now back to tyres, with a relatively heavy oil burner in the front a vRS will wear tyres more quickly due to that weight, the power going through those tyres, steering and the majority of the brake force distribution going to the driven wheels. All in all they don't have the easiest of times but sticking soft/sticky rubber on and assuming it will stop you quicker or grip better is just wrong. Tyres like most things have operational parameters, stray too far outside of those design parameters and performance drops off sharply. Look at Ferodo DS2500 pads, first application on a cold/damp morning is awful, much worse than OE but when they're up to temperature they're fantastic, hence why i'd never fit them to the family hatch. With softer compound tyres the figure quoted is usually 7c and that's a fair chunk of the year for quite a lot of the UK. If you run winter tyres on a spare set of rims then you get the best of both worlds but we're not great with that in the UK compared to a lot of the EU/US & Canada etc. so conventional wisdom is to run an all seasons tyre in the UK for normal driving year round.

In my opinion choosing the right tyre for your car is a balancing act between choosing something that's right for the conditions you drive in the majority of the time, your driving style, the handling characteristics of your car and your budget and in that order but i'm just strange :D

Edited by Avalon