what would you replace your MK1 VRS with?

VRS Mike

Accord Type R

They're only 210bhp standard, have next to no torque (less than even a standard VRS) and weigh 100kg more than the Octy so I'd expect a remapped Octy to be well ahead in a straight line. On corners though it would be another story unless the Octy was fitted with an LSD and coilovers. And like all VTECs you have to thrash the nuts off them to get the power out so its not a comfortable drive.

I'm not sure... I'm bored of mine already, 6 months in... I'd aim for a Mk5 Golf R32 but they're still a little out of my price range for a good one, same with my other choice of a Scirocco...

Try 215 bhp on a remapped 170 vrs tdi and a supposed 335 lbs of torque. Scary! Will the clutch and box hold up? Thats why ive not done that to mine. My 110 tdi L&K has a 75 quid tune box fitted and turned quite high. It gives 150 - 160 bhp but the power delivery is very smooth and steady. I think go for a 140 tdi Oct sport or L&K and then remap to 180 - 190. That'l shift very nicely and still give good fuel economy.

Edited by colverscott

They're only 210bhp standard, have next to no torque (less than even a standard VRS) and weigh 100kg more than the Octy so I'd expect a remapped Octy to be well ahead in a straight line. On corners though it would be another story unless the Octy was fitted with an LSD and coilovers. And like all VTECs you have to thrash the nuts off them to get the power out so its not a comfortable drive.

220bhp standard and believe me my brothers wiped the floor with my vrs (and most other things it comes across) its mental. Was used by both k&n and mongoose as a guinea pig and he ended up with a cai and full de-cat system for nowt!

Agreed you have to rev it's nuts off to hit vtec (unless it's got an apexi vtec controller). It's a lot more fun to drive has better seats, suspension etc.

If he didn't already have 1 I would have done by now :thumbup:

why do you need a 3 litre engine?

Fuel economy isn't significantly worse than a VRS. I'd also consider the beemer more of a drivers car (firmer suspension and RWD).

BMW M3 ( e46 ) , Impreza WR1 or Audi s4 convertible

I don't think there would be any E46 M3s worth owning for £6k at the moment. Likewise an S4 convertible also seems to be over budget.

RE: Accord Type R - They are 212bhp standard ;)

I can understand why they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I'd consider the ATR more of a drivers car than a VRS and it would definitely be my weapon of choice over an octy for a track day or a b-road blast. The reason I went for the octy is becuase 90% of my driving is getting from A to B and the octy does that better than an ATR would.

Audi quattros are nice (S2, S4) but the running costs would be significantly higher than an Octy/Accord/330i etc.

I'm not sure... I'm bored of mine already, 6 months in... I'd aim for a Mk5 Golf R32 but they're still a little out of my price range for a good one, same with my other choice of a Scirocco...

id love a mk5 R32.... would have to be a 3 door in blue or silver tho emoticon-0136-giggle.gif also they are the reason my BBS's are 5x112 emoticon-0105-wink.gif

but luckily so are the mk2 octy estates which will prob be next motor, around the end of next year im thinking emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

trouble is even the idea of £450 tax angers me......... and id want a later so id get stung with it too so fook it, octy deezly weezly it will be

as for ideas for £6k and 30+mpg and cool ......... ummm ??? a nice mk1 golf with a G60 engine ?? emoticon-0140-rofl.gif or throttle bodied 2.0 16v emoticon-0105-wink.gif

id love a mk5 R32.... would have to be a 3 door in blue or silver tho emoticon-0136-giggle.gif also they are the reason my BBS's are 5x112 emoticon-0105-wink.gif

but luckily so are the mk2 octy estates which will prob be next motor, around the end of next year im thinking emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

trouble is even the idea of £450 tax angers me......... and id want a later so id get stung with it too so fook it, octy deezly weezly it will be

I know what you mean! I would pay it, but in pennies at the local DVLA office/Postoffice just to feel like I'm getting something from it!

How does a TDI Scirroco compare to the MKI vRS?

Less room in the back, but will handle better. Engine in the vRS is better (naturally, as petrol > diesel)

How does a TDI Scirroco compare to the MKI vRS?

My Brother in law has a tdi 170 Rocco which is mechanically the same as my Oct td vrs. In a straight line they are exactly the same, but on the bends the Rocco wins hands down as it has the adaptive/active suspension. The Octy is very grippy but the Rocco is like a go-cart!

I've often thought about this over the last six years of owning the vRS. I struggle to find anything that competes as a package. There are faster cars, more economical cars, bigger cars, better looking cars etc, etc. However, finding one that does everything that the Skoda does is a struggle. It's remapped, so quick enough. It fits the three kids in the back. It fits all the stuff we need in the boot. It can lug a load of stuff to the tip and then go for a hoon on the way home. It even returned an indicated 43.6mpg on a 90 mile run from Huddersfield to Scarborough today! If it was written off tomorrow, I'd probably buy another off here and not look at anything else.

If I had more money I might look at an M5 estate or RS6, but they are a completely different animal and in another league to the Skoda. One thing I will never, ever find myself thinking is "Those Citroen Picassos look nice."

I agree with people who say you might regret it if you sell. There are people on this forum who did and then came back to the Mk1 for some reason.

6K gets you a lot of mk1 Octi 4x4 PLUS EXTRA BITS :D AND LPG :D No contest really, I have looked, a lot, Only thing I would want to replace mine if money was no object would be a well sorted Superb 4x4 2.0T/R36 Turbo/RS4 transplant would also have to be white with taxi badges on it :D