What is a remapped VRS as quick as

FabiaVRSAJ

It's a shame that in the quest to make the later cars better (which they are from a speed/refinement perspective) some of the fun element has been filtered out.

You're dead right. I loved my my mk1 vRS, even tho my Octavia is faster, handles better, quieter etc, sometimes it just isn't as fun as the Fabia was. The Fabia always felt quicker than it was too me but I never cared, was a good fun car to drive.

• Like 1

I said that before in another thread, my Fabia felt quicker than the S3

but the FACT is it isn't. Refined power delivery is misleading just the same as

primitive sledgehammer power delivery is misleading.

• Like 1

Was he wearing oven gloves Tom?

If he was then he'll be posting on you tube soon saying how he pwn'd you. :rofl:

haha year the oven gloves Clio man... I'd forgotten that till you mentioned it.. Haha.... Any who he was definitely going for it in his v6 and so was I, neither gaining or loosing any ground to each other.... If I'd been in my s4 however it would have been a different story, funniest thing I've read in ages on here about a fabia beating an s4.. Haha I don't know what planet some the nobends on here live on sometimes.

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

Your having a laugh mate, as your Leon is ten a penny common as muck compared to a VRS, at least where I live. Just for the book mine keeps up with a civic type R within the speed limit, yes the driver stopped to comment on my car. I have also slain numerous cooper S's (admitted lady driver most time lol) and Fiesta ST's. They stay with me to 3rd gear then it's bye bye. Also a Golf DSG 200 bhp beasty could not pull an inch on me infact when we hit a steep hill he moved over. People hate our vrs's for a reason :D.

Not where im from! Theres at LEAST 6 vrs's in my town of around 8k people and there is only one leon fr tdi and thats mine! Never ever seen another one

Guest BigJase88

From my experience a mapped fabia does put up a good show until around 80mph when its all but dead in the water

The wee 130 turbo just hasnt got the oomph and bigger more powerful cars just keep going. Upto 80 there isn't much between say a type r / focus st mk1 but after that they are gone

Got a stock mk1 VRS now and it's still a nice car to drive. A punch or torque making fel quick and you have to actually drive it.

I much prefer it to the mk2, even if the mk2 is quicker.

It's a shame that in the quest to make the later cars better (which they are from a speed/refinement perspective) some of the fun element has been filtered out.

After living with a dsg a little more. Find the dsg boxes are pretty amazing if you drive it at pace. If only they made a mk2 VRS in diesel and dsg.. 150-170bhp will be great with that transmission imo! Economy and enough power for 'general use'.

Hate to say it but I think even the touran dsg 1.6tdi will be ahead of a VRS mk1 till maybe 40-50 (3rd gear on vrs). Maybe I'm being too kind to my vrs Lol.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

That last point is why, to me, the VRS mk1 is still a fun car to drive over a lot of newer ones.

My mk1 SE was highly tuned and would annoy TVR drivers at Santa Pod and M3 drivers at Brands Hatch.

Just, it could be the driver, but it was still a lot of fun.

Got a stock mk1 VRS now and it's still a nice car to drive. A punch or torque making fel quick and you have to actually drive it.

The clutch in my 330d is failing/slipping if anyone wants to genuinally beat a 330d? ;)

Lol at this thread....

although I did push a v6 Clio up the motorway slip in my felicia, when we got out onto road I gave him the thumbs up and he waved and did the same, he went his way and I went mine..

I thought you were joking at first, then I saw the name and it all twigged!

Should start a new thread "What is a remapped Fabia Vrs's SLOWER than?"

:)

It would be empty!

Edited by TriggerFish

That last point is why, to me, the VRS mk1 is still a fun car to drive over a lot of newer ones.

My mk1 SE was highly tuned and would annoy TVR drivers at Santa Pod and M3 drivers at Brands Hatch.

Just, it could be the driver, but it was still a lot of fun.

How could 420lb/ft torque not be Fun!!!I can/do embarrass cars on a daily basis.

To give a little perspective, (and to stand up a little for the ep3 type r drivers), me and a mate of mine had a side by side straight line race up a local airfield, he was in his bog standard ep3 type-r and I was in my stage 2 hybrid fabia. He shot away from me at the start as the low torque helps them get away to a better start without wheel spin whereas I have to roll away in first, short shift to second to stop wheel spin! By top end of third I'd pulled the gap back and passed him, after that he sat about 20 ft behind me all the way up the airfield to over 130, so I have a little but of a hard time believing that a mapped fabia can "destroy" an ep3 type-r!!

I've got to find me some of these 'open all hours to the public free entry and disused' airfields.

I've checked google and it seems I'll be arrested if I try it at Bristol airport... :(

But they seem to be dotted up and down the country. I'm wondering if maybe

some folk are mistaking quiet stretches of motorway for these 'airfields'?

Just for clarification I've brought along some visual aids.

Runway...

ksyr-runway.jpg

Also runway

Runway.jpg

Motorway...

M4-motorway-closed-008.jpg

Also Motorway...

AEJ2GE.jpg

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of the FFS slow down on the roads party :)

• Like 2

Guest BigJase88

I did the crime and did the time when it comes to speeding on public roads!

Got into a play around with believe it or not a civic type r! Was an import ep3 in my hybrid fabia!

We both got banned for a year / £1200 fine and extended resit!

Lesson learned!

Haha we genuinely were on an airfield! I live in Cumbria not far away from Kirkbride airfield, it was used in the Second World War for landing lancaster bombers, pretty much unused now apart from a glider club use it every now and again and there's a drag day runs there about 4 times a year! We'd been for a drive out up there to a tuning company that operates in one of the old hangar buildings and noticed the gates to the airfield were open so helped ourselves to a cheeky race up the old runway :)

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

Haha we genuinely were on an airfield! I live in Cumbria not far away from Kirkbride airfield, it was used in the Second World War for landing lancaster bombers, pretty much unused now apart from a glider club use it every now and again and there's a drag day runs there about 4 times a year! We'd been for a drive out up there to a tuning company that operates in one of the old hangar buildings and noticed the gates to the airfield were open so helped ourselves to a cheeky race up the old runway :)

I've been there a few times in my hybrid fabia a couple of years back

I rely on keeping my licence clean as I drive for a living, so although there have been many tempting moments on the motorway where people see a modified fabia and think Oooo I'm gonna blow that little diesels doors off, then proceed to shoot past me in there Astra vxr, I manage to restrain myself, stick to 70mph on cruise, and laugh at how fewer mpg they will be getting as I merrily bumble along doing 50 mpg :)

It's a handy stretch of concrete kirkbride! Very very bumpy and broken up now though, last time we were at the straight liners drag day a guy almost got thrown off his turboe'd hayabusa drag bike at over 170mph when he hit a rut in the concrete! :o

:D Did you get a trophy? I won that a few years back, was my first time down the strip done terrible but still beat the octavia that was there. All my mates found it hilarious that I'd won.

Yup! I also didn't believe I had won, but when a handful of Skoda's seem to go, its hard not to loose.

To give a little perspective, (and to stand up a little for the ep3 type r drivers), me and a mate of mine had a side by side straight line race up a local airfield, he was in his bog standard ep3 type-r and I was in my stage 2 hybrid fabia. He shot away from me at the start as the low torque helps them get away to a better start without wheel spin whereas I have to roll away in first, short shift to second to stop wheel spin! By top end of third I'd pulled the gap back and passed him, after that he sat about 20 ft behind me all the way up the airfield to over 130, so I have a little but of a hard time believing that a mapped fabia can "destroy" an ep3 type-r!!

Aye, JDM dyno used to live in cumbria :thumbup:

I know your not bull****ting about the strip, since gr664 thinks you are, its actually exists :D

Thats fair mate, i kept up with my mates modded type R to 85mph in my modded VRS then its game over by a long stretch. Hopefully now people understand torque is not everything even when driving a hybrid fabia, most type R's you can gain around 30-40bhp out them too albeit costing a lot more.

Really to sum it up, this car punches above its class when re-mapped and its great at what it is does; a cheap run/insure/modify and reasonably good looking/reliable sporty hatch, it is be no means a rocket ship and most diesels give the opinion that your piloting some sort of space ship :D

I bought it mainly because i wanted the above and got it at a good price of 3k.