Low oil warning ?

jonny boy

With all these oil issues, I was just running through my mind the number of friends and family who would never dream of checking the oil level of their cars between services.

It's quite frightening actually, because most cars would probably not be a problem with this treatment (****el engines excepted).

With Skodas you just have to trust the manual and check at every petrol fill up.

Tony :think:

• Like 1

when you end up driving around with a can of oil in yout boot, you know you have an issue.

Mine's had that in the boot for the past 2 years. Knew they had that oval plastic thingy in there for a reason .....  :think:

Quick question, I had what i thought was a slightly odd warning light today. Basically on the top of the maxidot where the clock shows in the dash console I had a big red oil symbol come on and flash a few times then stop. It did it twice in a 100 mile journey. It literally looked like a pixellated object from an eighties computer game! When i stopped and checked the oil, it was off the dipstick and took about a litre to bring it to the top of the hatched section. I only ask, as I would have thought the yellow check oil light would have been triggered first, as others have mentioned, or if serious a red warning light would have come on and stayed on?? Is this the normal low oil light?

Red light is Low Oil Pressure.

Normally at a start of journey, switching on the engine it shows for 2 seconds and goes out.

Or stays on if it needs oil.

Yours came on when the Oil was low it seems and that was lucky.  It appears you were on Low Oil Pressure.

It flashes as a warning.

Yellow light is Low Oil Warning,  

check the Yellow Oil light works on start up.  

& Maxidot warning and Audible warning,  maybe there is a sensor fault.

A faulty Sensor should have the Warning Light on and the Audible Warning.

*The Warning light goes out if the bonnet is open for 30 seconds, but if you do not top up,

it should come on again when you start the engine.*

Page 29 & 30 of the Owners Manual.

I ONLY KNOW THIS FROM READING THE MANUAL, NEVER SEEN ANY LIGHTS ON MYSELF.

There were pictures showing the warning lights on in a thread that was started last year.

This is what I'm confused about George, as it was not a red or yellow warning light in the normal places (one that lights up on ignition) but it was literally a large symbol up on the central maxidot screen, where the time usually is. It flashed maybe 4 or 5 times and then went out and back to the clock. 

Oil was low whatever it means.

It is normally a written warning in the maxidot,  but i only saw a picture of that with a CAVE car.

Is yours a CTHE, because the owners manual i have is from being Published in 2010 & really shows some odd stuff that is not right for Twinchargers.

?

What does the manual for a Late 2012 vRS say, or is it not a revised version, just still the Original with poor Translations?

Mine is a March 2012 car with the CAVE spec engine.

Had no written warnings in the maxidot, or small warning lights, just this big cartoonish oil jug flashing instead of the time and gear select indicator, probably about an inch and a bit large! I'll check the manual, and check the normal warning lights come on with the ignition. 

What's also frustrating is the car has not been an oil burner for the last 21k miles!!

Edited by TeebsVRS

Had that once on my car (2011 CAVE if it matters) as well as a caption to check oil as far as I remember. Haven't seen it since though...

When mine came on I checked the oil and it was just covering the orange ball at the bottom of the dipstick. (hot dip after waiting a few minites) maybe you have a faulty sensor which would explain it going off and on?

Had that once on my car (2011 CAVE if it matters) as well as a caption to check oil as far as I remember. Haven't seen it since though...

When mine came on I checked the oil and it was just covering the orange ball at the bottom of the dipstick. (hot dip after waiting a few minites) maybe you have a faulty sensor which would explain it going off and on?

So it was specifically the big, almost cartoonish, oil jug symbol flashing where the clock and gear indicator usually are?

When did you last check it,  ?

colder weather, short journeys can use a bit more.

Or was it in for a service and you trusted them to have the correct quantity in after the service?

That can be the cause of many cars low oil.

I have to admit, as I haven't had any issues with it I probably hadn't checked for a couple of weeks and it was showing halfway on the hatched part of the stick. Last dealer oil change was about 6-7k miles ago. I'm going to keep a closer eye on it, and perhaps drive it a bit harder than normal for a while.

• Like 1

So it was specifically the big, almost cartoonish, oil jug symbol flashing where the clock and gear indicator usually are?

Correct. I think it also had a worded caption saying "Check oil" or something to that effect.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I didn't want to start a new thread and thought this might be a good place to post this.

I had a new engine fitted at the end of September and have driven 1,500 miles since. I usually check the oil levels on my cars every couple of months and was due to check the VRS this weekend. I was slightly shocked when I got in the car yesterday afternoon and was presented with the orange/yellow "check oil level" warning on the maxidot. I check the dip stick and it was just below the hatched area so I topped up with 1.3 litres to take it up to three quarters of the hatched area. When I started the car the light came on a couple of times in about 30 seconds and didn't come back on so I thought all was ok. As I was driving to work this morning the warning came on at start up and then every 15 minutes until I got to work (took 50 minutes in total). I checked the level when I got to work and it was still at three quarters - the same as it was after top up last night. The same thing happened on the way home and after checking the levels when I first got home and an hour later it was still the same level.

My questions are:

1: How much oil has the car actually used in the last 3 months and 1,500 miles? Is it the 1.3 litres or so I topped up? Is this normal usage expected for a new engine? (Three questions I know but related)

2: Why is the light still coming on?!?

3: Should I go back to the dealers to get them to look at it?

Thanks

Martin

Yes you need to go to the dealers, and with lights on, i would be calling Skoda Assist or the Dealer to collect the car.

The Red light is 'Oil Pressure Warning',  is it still on?

Sorry but must say,

having a 'New Engine' fitted then never checking the oil level for 1,500 miles while running in a new engine,

when aware of possible problems seems rather strange to me.

Skoda/VAG Say,

possibly might use more than the 0.5 litre per 1,000 km in the first 5,000 km.

So 1.3 litres used in 1,500 miles (2,400 km) is not more than they say in their Owners Manuals.

george

I suppose it was naive of me not to check it sooner. I've just been checking the paperwork and i've done 1,200 miles. I suppose it was lucky the warning light came on just in time.

The red light hasn't come on at all, just the orange warning on the maxidot. Any ideas why the light might still be on?

I will get it to the dealers, who, I quote, "we'll get the car looked at as soon as possible but we are really busy because everyone's car seems to be breaking down at the moment". Very encouraging...

Call Skoda Assist then to come check the car,

if you know there is Oil in, yet you have a warning light you are right not to drive it.

They will have to uplift the car to a Dealership and supply a Courtesy Hire car.

You can not be left without a car, thats why you have a Warranty and Skoda Assist.

Ask the Dealership Manager to take your car and you will have his Company Car if there is no Courtesy Cars available at the branch, thats until they can deal with yours.

If he thinks it is OK to drive it with the light on.

Or Call Skoda UK and say the new engine has drunk Oil, and now has a warning light.

They might like to have the Car into them,

Find out after a Technical Inspection why their engines, even New replacement ones are so un-reliable.

george

PS.

My car required 1.2 litres to top it up after someone else drove it for only 520 miles in 3 weeks.

It is not a Oil User Normally.

There was no Oil Warning light before i put in the 1.2 litres to take it to the top of the Cross Hatch on a Hot Check.

That is above the Cross Hatch on a 'Stone Cold Dip'.

• Like 1