Fuel Tax approaches

lol-lol

They wouldn't have to do anything if we leave our vehicles standing at all. We're going to need fuel SOMETIME. It's the reason forecourt boycotts don't really work IMO, the suits in charge of Esso and BP probably don't care if their forecourt profits are down on a Monday through people refusing to buy fuel, by the end of the week they'll be right back up to normal again because for many people, doing without it simply isn't an option.

Yea. Agreed.

However, a total transport movement strike for a day when no actual fuel (apart from emergency services) would be used, might just make them sit up and at least begin to comprehend that we are really all getting slightly p++ssed off with this crazy situation now.

Ir won't happen though, as generally this country is made up with sheeple that simply adore rolling over and having their tummies tickled . :wall:

Sorry. Am I actually reading this correctly please? You're buying a new and expensive car to save money on fuel, from an alledged 42mpg to a very best possible of 45, but a more probable 30-40? I'm no mathmatician, but this really is not adding up on my calculator. :nerd:

It does seem to be that the price of petrol (and VED) has got to the point where people will spend more to avoid paying for petrol than it would cost them to stick with what they have. so people will buy a new economical car (earlier than they would otherwise) i.e. for £5k to avoid paying an extra £200 a year in fuel.

I wonder if the gov has noticed that fuel tax receipts are dropping fast even though the tax per litre goes ever higher.

No doubt they'll just start increasing VAT on cars, introduce pay per mile taxation etc etc.

Although the cost of fuel irritates me I don't think it's that bad, when I first past my test in 2001 petrol was around the 75p mark, now 11 years on it has almost doubles at 1.37.9 near me. In that same time my wage has increased over 300% (350% including overtime) and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here so when you look at it like this it isn't too bad.

At least thats how I look at it to keep me calm when filling up!lol

That is true, I passed around the same time (August 2000). But for me, the crux is that it seems to have gone up A LOT in the past 2-3 years, which is exactly the period that my pay has stopped going up (and I won't get another payrise in my current role short of 0.5% "cost of living" increases). So year on year, it's costing me more to work (fuel, VED, even my parking permit at work is now based on green credentials so is going up from £60/year to £180/year). It's just one thing after another :(

To be honest I am driving less and when i do have to drive I am driving more economically and trying to keep the speed and revs down as much as possible to save money. Thing is that with Diesel so much more expensive than petrol, any economy advantage from a Diesel is minimised anyway. As to buying a New Fabia VRS I would exercise caution as they have to be run on super unleaded. It is a great little car but when I test drove one, the economy was not that impressive. I reckon it would probably drink more than your Octy but I could be wrong.

Edited by Matt Bodycombe

The more you spend money you don't have, the more it will save you. Spending the money in one big go, means that the car will give you little bits back over the status quo over the next 10 years . ;)

Would it be ok if I go for a long lie down with a very large whiskey now please? :notme:

Right, I've finally done some sums. (Sum somes? Some somes? Sum sums? Meh...)

Here goes...

Civic 2.0 Type S

Av. mpg over course of ownership: 32

Cost of petrol currently: 138.9 (average local)

Amount of miles to full tank: 320 (55 litre tank)

Cost to do 1,000 miles: £210 roughly.

Av. miles per year: 13,000

Total fuel cost per year: £2,730

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi 130 L&K

Av. mpg over course of ownership: 43

Cost of diesel currently: 143.9 (average local)

Amount of miles to full tank: 490 (55 litre tank)

Cost to do 1,000 miles: £140 roughly.

Av. miles per year: 13,000

Total fuel cost per year: £1,830

This is my actual life experience, with mixed driving. Switching to diesel was a great idea, in my eyes, but I would never pay more to switch to a new car because it'll just nullify the savings. Currently, saving £900 per year (around £75 per month) has its benefits. Servicing is pretty similar as I service my own cars, mostly, and insurance/tyres are almost identical.

The retailer must be feeling some pain as my two nearest fuel stations (not big named ones, granted) have shut down. They've both maintained that it's the Government scre%ing the price of the stuff and there's no profit in it for them which is why they've gone under.

One family that ran the nearest has now retired to the SW of France, the other the IOM. Does make you wonder about my earlier statement, though... :think:

Well you could always buy a cheap second had Mark 1 Fabia VRS or any of the 1.9TD for that matter.

I always have well over 50 mpg on the trip meter but also have a lot of fun in the car. Well I ask you this - why have an over mapped then? I always drive hugely faster when I overtake. I claim it’s safer. In the main I drive between 50 mph and 60 mph round here when I can and the MPG remains high. The only way to drive the MPG below 50 is to drive like a nutter.

The roads are way better round here too and the Tarmac boys were out today as they normally are resurfacing the road plus we even have a Tarmac quarry not far away so no logisitic problems . We also have lower levels of traffic than in most other parts of the country I have been to. Even if I have to drive for 40 mph for any length of time the trip meter goes up and up and up.

I have even had a claimed 600 miles in the tank (trip meter) remaining when I have driven to the coast from here when sometimes roads are very clear – even overtaking other cars at 50 mph in cruise control on the very, very long straights which makes us laugh. I don’t think you can go wrong at all with the dear little Mark 1 Fabia VRS. So economical and massive fun - even with a mere 182 bhp.

They wouldn't have to do anything if we leave our vehicles standing at all. We're going to need fuel SOMETIME. It's the reason forecourt boycotts don't really work IMO, the suits in charge of Esso and BP probably don't care if their forecourt profits are down on a Monday through people refusing to buy fuel, by the end of the week they'll be right back up to normal again because for many people, doing without it simply isn't an option.

They also make very little if anything on fuel. They make money on the sweets, cigies, drinks etc you buy whilst you're there.

So if you ONLY buy fuel there then you are really hurting the retailer, who in turn will hurt the oil co who's branding they carry (very few are owned by the oil co's - franchises).

They also make very little if anything on fuel. They make money on the sweets, cigies, drinks etc you buy whilst you're there.

So if you ONLY buy fuel there then you are really hurting the retailer, who in turn will hurt the oil co who's branding they carry (very few are owned by the oil co's - franchises).

But , ONLY buy the ciggies with a price on the packet .

Well you could always buy a cheap second had Mark 1 Fabia VRS or any of the 1.9TD for that matter.

I always have well over 50 mpg on the trip meter but also have a lot of fun in the car. Well I ask you this - why have an over mapped then? I always drive hugely faster when I overtake. I claim it’s safer. In the main I drive between 50 mph and 60 mph round here when I can and the MPG remains high. The only way to drive the MPG below 50 is to drive like a nutter.

The roads are way better round here too and the Tarmac boys were out today as they normally are resurfacing the road plus we even have a Tarmac quarry not far away so no logisitic problems . We also have lower levels of traffic than in most other parts of the country I have been to. Even if I have to drive for 40 mph for any length of time the trip meter goes up and up and up.

I have even had a claimed 600 miles in the tank (trip meter) remaining when I have driven to the coast from here when sometimes roads are very clear – even overtaking other cars at 50 mph in cruise control on the very, very long straights which makes us laugh. I don’t think you can go wrong at all with the dear little Mark 1 Fabia VRS. So economical and massive fun - even with a mere 182 bhp.

Had a Mk 1 VRS, one of the last ie SEs, but it would worry me the idea of it going pop and costing a grand or two to fix.

I had the same engine in an A3 and it went pop just out of warranty but fortunately VAG did cough up the cost of the turbo etc.

Also the Mk 1 VRS cannot have curtain air bags I seem to recall its NCAP was not particularly good.

Granted better looking as standard. The Mark 2 needs arches kit to make it look like the IRC/WRC car which does look good IMO.

Edited by lol